Which Blu-ray Set Is Best?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

Re: Which Blu-ray Set Is Best?

#31 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:39 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:16 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:43 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:12 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:46 pm
Yep I saw his video. Pretty in-depth. Though to be fair I saw very minimal difference in picture quality between the Mill Creek Blu-Ray and the Turbine one. Maybe the Turbine one is a tad brighter and just a tad sharper. But just a tad. No big differences, even though he kept raving about what a significant upgrade it was. Not that I could see. The extra goodies of course are a big plus and I really do love the menus that are modeled after KITT's voice modulator and surrounding buttons. That was really cool I thought. The TV-movies and Team Knight Rider I have no interest in whatsoever. I remember when TKR was on for one season in the 90s and I don't think I bothered to even sit down to watch 5 minutes of that crap. I saw a bunch of cars with different voices and a bunch of different people driving them and I was like "nope, not interested". As for KNIGHT RIDER 2000 that was included in the Universal season 1 DVD release. Didn't care for that either even though I forced myself to watch the whole thing. A big treat from that season 1 release was the pilot commentary by Glen Larson and the Hoff. Wish they did that for a few more episodes. Which is why I love what the Knight Rider Historians are doing - giving us fans a commentary for every single episode! :)
I could tell & see huge differences between the Mill Creek and Turbine Blu-ray sets!! The Turbine one is definitely much brighter, sharper, clearer, more in focus, and the colors are amazing! The Turbine Blu-ray set is definitely a major upgrade from the original DVD sets & the previous Blu-ray sets!

However, it is expensive! That’s because it has the entire original series uncut for the first time since the show originally aired & restored to the best quality of HD possible. Plus, most of the KR franchise is included as well (except the 2008 remake—which I didn’t care for anyway). I also am not a fan of the 1991 KR TV movie sequel Knight Rider 2000, nor the other series Team Knight Rider (which the acting & special effects were so bad I only watched about 2 episodes & couldn’t finish it :wink: ), and I’ve actually not watched the other 1994 TV movie spin-off Knight Rider 2010. But, they are included in the Turbine set...so I’ll take them as awesome special features & bonuses. The complete original series being restored in that quality of HD, and presented in uncut/unedited original airings is enough for me to want it.

But, I’m a collector (especially of shows I grew up on or watched as a kid—even if they were older reruns then), and so I’m always wanting to find the best quality & most complete sets for those shows. Sometimes it’s expensive, so you have to decide if it’s worth it for you. :wink: Sadly, I’m discovering that Universal & some other studio companies, have used syndicated versions for the home media sets of their older shows. I’m sure it was cheaper, as those versions were more readily available.
Did you get the Turbine set or are you planning to get it?
I got it several months ago, and have already gone through it. It’s huge, as there’s a lot included, but I love it—and it’s one of my most favorite sets of a show I have.
That's cool. Glad you're enjoying it. Personally I couldn't justify making a purchase like this. Not only because of the price but because I already have this series in 2 different formats - DVD and Blu-Ray. Plus this thing is ginormous! Clutter is a big thing I try to avoid and I don't like owning multiple copies of the same thing. I'm definitely not a collector. I purchase something because I want to watch it, not because it's yet another release and it's so super cool that I gotta own it. Because then in a few years another super cool release will come out and I need to buy that one too? So I avoid things like that. I'm definitely not like that guy in that video whose entire room is filled with DVD/Blu-Ray/4K and apparently he has more rooms that he hasn't shown us. I wouldn't even know where to start watching anything if I had a collection like that. :shock: :shock: That's just going way overboard - collecting for the sake of collecting. Where do you find the time to watch and rewatch all that stuff? I don't have the time to watch my collection and it's almost nonexistent compared to his. All my stuff fits into one small cabinet. Also as far as HD and highest quality and resolution sometimes I too would find myself a bit too wrapped up in that and then I'd have to pinch myself and ask if that's even all that important. All these shows we grew up watching half of them I watched on my small B&W portable TV which looked very grainy and others that I watched on our color TV the image was really bad - with snow on the screen and I would have to hold the rabbit ears to stabilize the image from scrolling vertically or for the snow to decrease. And now we're so spoiled - we worry about resolution and measure every pixel. :lol: I almost feel like these shows weren't even meant to be seen in such detail and such high-res. I think we tend to go overboard with these older shows. I know when the Universal DVDs came out in 2004 I was blown away by the picture and sound quality. And it's not like it was even remastered - like Paramount did with their Five-O, Mannix, and Mission: Impossible DVD releases that came out shortly after. But it's just that compared to how KR looked when I watched it in syndication on our simple TV it was like heaven and earth!!! I didn't know anything about "remastering" or "HD" in 2004 but boy did that set look good to me when I first popped it into my DVD player. A feast for my eyes! And it still looks good, even if it's not remastered. I guess I care less and less about things like that as I get older. For example, I have Rockford Files and The A-Team on Blu-Ray. I have Columbo and Five-O on DVD. I've no issues with picture quality on any of these sets. Very satisfied. I'm keeping them as they are. No need to upgrade the DVDs to Blu-Rays. I just find it pointless. I don't have the shelf space for housing more of the same. I will be purchasing the latest and greatest Mission: Impossible Blu-Ray set which came out last year, as I don't own this series yet in any format and I haven't seen any of the episodes past season 3 (I used to receive the discs from Netflix).
I am a collector and love owning sets of all my favorite shows & movies! However, I don’t own every format of every show that has been released. I have most of the shows I love on DVD, as that’s what was released first—and was the first official home video format available at the time (after trying to record all the episodes on VHS off the regular & cable networks back in the day). But, I’m also wanting the best quality available if possible...so if later on a show is released to Blu-ray & it’s a huge improvement (which the Turbine KR set definitely is), then I’m willing to get that, too.

But, I don’t usually buy multiple sets of one show in the same format (I don’t usually buy all the DVD or Blu-ray sets from all companies). I just get one. However, for various reasons two shows I do own more than one set of the same format are KR & MV. But, with KR & MV I just first got the U.S. Mill Creek Blu-ray sets without really checking into things. If I had (which I normally do—my own fault I didn’t) I would have discovered that the Turbine KR set, and the Elephant Films Blu-ray set of MV were top of the line, and could have avoided spending money on the Mill Creek ones.

The Turbine set of KR is huge & very expensive...I said that. :wink: But, there’s a ton included in it, it’s for diehard serious fans, and it’s probably the ultimate/last home video set that will be made. Unless they figure out a way to holograph it in the middle of your living room :P , you can’t get any better with KR than the Turbine set.

The YouTube guy does this for a living, and is a collector, too. Most of the companies send him their newest sets...hoping to get a positive review from him. And he looks at & reviews anything & everything of all different kinds (shows & movies)...so he has TONS of home media sets—this includes ones from all different countries, too. So, yes, his collection is VAST...and awesome in my opinion! He has most of it in giant shelving, so it’s not all stacked up around him in piles. I’m sure he has it organized & categorized. But, that’s what he does.

I wish “Magnum” and MV could get complete, uncut, original airing Blu-ray sets from a company like Turbine, too...that would be superb!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MaiTaiMan »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:42 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:12 pm

I could tell & see huge differences between the Mill Creek and Turbine Blu-ray sets!! The Turbine one is definitely much brighter, sharper, clearer, more in focus, and the colors are amazing! The Turbine Blu-ray set is definitely a major upgrade from the original DVD sets & the previous Blu-ray sets!

However, it is expensive! That’s because it has the entire original series uncut for the first time since the show originally aired & restored to the best quality of HD possible. Plus, most of the KR franchise is included as well (except the 2008 remake—which I didn’t care for anyway). I also am not a fan of the 1991 KR TV movie sequel Knight Rider 2000, nor the other series Team Knight Rider (which the acting & special effects were so bad I only watched about 2 episodes & couldn’t finish it :wink: ), and I’ve actually not watched the other 1994 TV movie spin-off Knight Rider 2010. But, they are included in the Turbine set...so I’ll take them as awesome special features & bonuses. The complete original series being restored in that quality of HD, and presented in uncut/unedited original airings is enough for me to want it.

But, I’m a collector (especially of shows I grew up on or watched as a kid—even if they were older reruns then), and so I’m always wanting to find the best quality & most complete sets for those shows. Sometimes it’s expensive, so you have to decide if it’s worth it for you. :wink: Sadly, I’m discovering that Universal & some other studio companies, have used syndicated versions for the home media sets of their older shows. I’m sure it was cheaper, as those versions were more readily available.
I got it several months ago, and have already gone through it. It’s huge, as there’s a lot included, but I love it—and it’s one of my most favorite sets of a show I have.
That's cool. Glad you're enjoying it. Personally I couldn't justify making a purchase like this. Not only because of the price but because I already have this series in 2 different formats - DVD and Blu-Ray. Plus this thing is ginormous! Clutter is a big thing I try to avoid and I don't like owning multiple copies of the same thing. I'm definitely not a collector. I purchase something because I want to watch it, not because it's yet another release and it's so super cool that I gotta own it. Because then in a few years another super cool release will come out and I need to buy that one too? So I avoid things like that. I'm definitely not like that guy in that video whose entire room is filled with DVD/Blu-Ray/4K and apparently he has more rooms that he hasn't shown us. I wouldn't even know where to start watching anything if I had a collection like that. :shock: :shock: That's just going way overboard - collecting for the sake of collecting. Where do you find the time to watch and rewatch all that stuff? I don't have the time to watch my collection and it's almost nonexistent compared to his. All my stuff fits into one small cabinet. Also as far as HD and highest quality and resolution sometimes I too would find myself a bit too wrapped up in that and then I'd have to pinch myself and ask if that's even all that important. All these shows we grew up watching half of them I watched on my small B&W portable TV which looked very grainy and others that I watched on our color TV the image was really bad - with snow on the screen and I would have to hold the rabbit ears to stabilize the image from scrolling vertically or for the snow to decrease. And now we're so spoiled - we worry about resolution and measure every pixel. :lol: I almost feel like these shows weren't even meant to be seen in such detail and such high-res. I think we tend to go overboard with these older shows. I know when the Universal DVDs came out in 2004 I was blown away by the picture and sound quality. And it's not like it was even remastered - like Paramount did with their Five-O, Mannix, and Mission: Impossible DVD releases that came out shortly after. But it's just that compared to how KR looked when I watched it in syndication on our simple TV it was like heaven and earth!!! I didn't know anything about "remastering" or "HD" in 2004 but boy did that set look good to me when I first popped it into my DVD player. A feast for my eyes! And it still looks good, even if it's not remastered. I guess I care less and less about things like that as I get older. For example, I have Rockford Files and The A-Team on Blu-Ray. I have Columbo and Five-O on DVD. I've no issues with picture quality on any of these sets. Very satisfied. I'm keeping them as they are. No need to upgrade the DVDs to Blu-Rays. I just find it pointless. I don't have the shelf space for housing more of the same. I will be purchasing the latest and greatest Mission: Impossible Blu-Ray set which came out last year, as I don't own this series yet in any format and I haven't seen any of the episodes past season 3 (I used to receive the discs from Netflix).
I am a collector and love owning sets of all my favorite shows & movies! However, I don’t own every format of every show that has been released. I have most of the shows I love on DVD, as that’s what was released first—and was the first official home video format available at the time (after trying to record all the episodes on VHS off the regular & cable networks back in the day). But, I’m also wanting the best quality available if possible...so if later on a show is released to Blu-ray & it’s a huge improvement (which the Turbine KR set definitely is), then I’m willing to get that, too.

But, I don’t usually buy multiple sets of one show in the same format (I don’t usually buy all the DVD or Blu-ray sets from all companies). I just get one. However, for various reasons two shows I do own more than one set of the same format are KR & MV. But, with KR & MV I just first got the U.S. Mill Creek Blu-ray sets without really checking into things. If I had (which I normally do—my own fault I didn’t) I would have discovered that the Turbine KR set, and the Elephant Films Blu-ray set of MV were top of the line, and could have avoided spending money on the Mill Creek ones.

The Turbine set of KR is huge & very expensive...I said that. :wink: But, there’s a ton included in it, it’s for diehard serious fans, and it’s probably the ultimate/last home video set that will be made. Unless they figure out a way to holograph it in the middle of your living room :P , you can’t get any better with KR than the Turbine set.

The YouTube guy does this for a living, and is a collector, too. Most of the companies send him their newest sets...hoping to get a positive review from him. And he looks at & reviews anything & everything of all different kinds (shows & movies)...so he has TONS of home media sets—this includes ones from all different countries, too. So, yes, his collection is VAST...and awesome in my opinion! He has most of it in giant shelving, so it’s not all stacked up around him in piles. I’m sure he has it organized & categorized. But, that’s what he does.

I wish “Magnum” and MV could get complete, uncut, original airing Blu-ray sets from a company like Turbine, too...that would be superb!

I have the newer Blu-ray set of MI, as well as the original DVD complete series. The DVDs were awesome, but in my opinion again the newer complete series Blu-ray set is a huge improvement & amazing! If you get it, I think you’ll like it!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MaiTaiMan »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:44 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:42 pm

I have the newer Blu-ray set of MI, as well as the original DVD complete series. The DVDs were awesome, but in my opinion again the newer complete series Blu-ray set is a huge improvement & amazing! If you get it, I think you’ll like it! I love both 5-0 shows & own both on DVD. Yes, the picture quality is awesome on both—although the remake was probably already filmed in HD to begin with. But, it would be amazing to get the original series remastered in HD on Blu-ray—I would buy that in a heart beat!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:42 pm I just first got the U.S. Mill Creek Blu-ray sets without really checking into things. If I had (which I normally do—my own fault I didn’t) I would have discovered that the Turbine KR set, and the Elephant Films Blu-ray set of MV were top of the line, and could have avoided spending money on the Mill Creek ones.
Didn't the Turbine one just come out while the Mill Creek one has been out for a while now? When did you get your Mill Creek?

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:35 am
MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:42 pm I just first got the U.S. Mill Creek Blu-ray sets without really checking into things. If I had (which I normally do—my own fault I didn’t) I would have discovered that the Turbine KR set, and the Elephant Films Blu-ray set of MV were top of the line, and could have avoided spending money on the Mill Creek ones.
Didn't the Turbine one just come out while the Mill Creek one has been out for a while now? When did you get your Mill Creek?
The Mill Creek one came out several years ago...around 2016. However, I only recently decided to get it—back in January or so. But, not too long after that I was informed of the YouTube guy’s video, reviewing the new Turbine 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set. It was released sometime in November or December, I believe. Watching his video was the selling point for me...and I kicked myself for not looking more in-depth into what the newest & best set was, before just buying the Mill Creek one. I got my Turbine set sometime in early February I think.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:20 am
The Mill Creek one came out several years ago...around 2016. However, I only recently decided to get it—back in January or so. But, not too long after that I was informed of the YouTube guy’s video, reviewing the new Turbine 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set. It was released sometime in November or December, I believe. Watching his video was the selling point for me...and I kicked myself for not looking more in-depth into what the newest & best set was, before just buying the Mill Creek one. I got my Turbine set sometime in early February I think.
I've been rewatching season 1 of Knight Rider in honor of its 40th anniversary, actually watching each episode on the day/week it originally aired 40 years ago. Of course I've been watching my Universal DVDs, then when I got the Mill Creek Blu-Ray a few months ago I thought I'd switch over to the Blu-Rays. But as I said I'm not too impressed with the brightness (too bright) of the Blu-Ray plus the colors not being as vibrant as on the DVD so that's why I'm sticking with watching my DVDs.
Last edited by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) on Fri May 12, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:09 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:20 am
I've been rewatching season 1 of Knight Rider in honor of its 40th anniversary, actually watching each episode on the day/week it originally aired 40 years ago. Of course I've been watching my Universal DVDs, then when I got the Mill Creek Blu-Ray a few months ago I thought I'd switch over to the Blu-Rays. But as I said I'm not too impressed with the brightness (too bright) of the Blu-Ray plus the colors not being as vibrant as on the DVD so that's why I'm sticking with watching my DVDs.
The DVDs are okay...they’re the first digitally remastered copies available on home video. But, the Turbine Blu-Ray set blows all previous sets away—including the Mill Creek Blu-ray, as Turbine corrected all the errors & issues (picture quality, color usage, and complete/original content) from the original DVDs & previous Blu-ray sets.The HD restoration is superb! But, to each his or her own! :D

502-to-right
Lieutenant Commander

#38 Post by 502-to-right »

I came here to find out what DVD set I should get for Magnum.

And most of the thread is about Knight Rider. :(

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by MaiTaiMan »

502-to-right wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:19 am I came here to find out what DVD set I should get for Magnum.

And most of the thread is about Knight Rider. :(
Another poster and I got to talking about KR, and comparing Blu-ray and/or DVD sets compared to other shows (including “Magnum”). :wink:

As for “Magnum” & which set is best...I myself am still not totally sure? :?: I’d heard that the Elephant Films (French) Blu-ray set included original film elements and was more complete (less edited versions) with episodes, than the original DVD sets & other Blu-ray sets. However, as good of HD quality as it is, the Pilot is definitely not an uncut or original airing...it’s a syndicated rerun version of some kind, as it doesn’t have the original intro/theme, but instead has the more known & famous one. But, as I said earlier the HD quality seems very nice. And most of Elephant Films things (that I’ve seen) are region free. There’s also the U.S. Mill Creek Blu-ray set, that some say is pretty good, too. I’m in the U.S., but haven’t gotten it yet. I don’t know as much about the Fabulous Films (UK) sets?

I’ve discovered that Universal used syndicated rerun (aka cut/edited) episodes for the original DVD sets of their older shows (Magnum, Miami Vice, A-Team, Knight Rider, etc...). That’s pretty much what they’ve then made available to the other companies/countries as well for other DVD & Blu-ray sets.

But, in my opinion thus far, the best set of Magnum is a toss up between the Mill Creek Blu-ray set & the Elephant Films Blu-ray set. Now, the Mill Creek set does not include the crossover episodes of the other shows (Murder She Wrote and Simon & Simon), whereas I believe the Elephant Films one does.

502-to-right
Lieutenant Commander

#40 Post by 502-to-right »

I just purchased a set of DVD's through Amazon. I care more about episode completeness than picture quality but it seems like all that's available are the syndicated episodes no matter who produced the DVD's. Oh well. At least it will be better than suffering through the highly annoying commercials on Freevee as I work my way through the series (currently in Season 3).

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MaiTaiMan »

502-to-right wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:43 pm I just purchased a set of DVD's through Amazon. I care more about episode completeness than picture quality but it seems like all that's available are the syndicated episodes no matter who produced the DVD's. Oh well. At least it will be better than suffering through the highly annoying commercials on Freevee as I work my way through the series (currently in Season 3).
I also seriously care about complete episodes...as well as picture quality. Whether DVD or Blu-ray, all “Magnum” sets have pretty decent picture quality, although Blu-ray will definitely be better than DVD. However, as for episode completeness...I’m not sure an uncut/unedited (original airing) set is available. All sets are a syndicated version of some kind. But, physical media is always better than streaming or online. :wink:

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#42 Post by Nikita70 »

I bought the iTunes digital release for $30 when it was on sale but I’d like to get the Mill Creek Blu-ray set as well. I’m a fan of physical media. Also very helpful when wanting to pause and zoom in to see details. Difficult to do that when streaming.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Nikita70 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:18 am I bought the iTunes digital release for $30 when it was on sale but I’d like to get the Mill Creek Blu-ray set as well. I’m a fan of physical media. Also very helpful when wanting to pause and zoom in to see details. Difficult to do that when streaming.
Physical media is always best...to me streaming or online is the “McDonald’s” of viewing, compared to “steak” quality & options with actual real/physical copies. :wink:

JosipCro
Captain

#44 Post by JosipCro »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:28 am
Nikita70 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:18 am I bought the iTunes digital release for $30 when it was on sale but I’d like to get the Mill Creek Blu-ray set as well. I’m a fan of physical media. Also very helpful when wanting to pause and zoom in to see details. Difficult to do that when streaming.
Physical media is always best...to me streaming or online is the “McDonald’s” of viewing, compared to “steak” quality & options with actual real/physical copies. :wink:
Also, physical media is always a better option for, for example, stopping a video and making a screenshot.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by MaiTaiMan »

JosipCro wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:31 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:28 am
Also, physical media is always a better option for, for example, stopping a video and making a screenshot.
Agreed!