Which Blu-ray Set Is Best?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

Re: Which Blu-ray Set Is Best?

#46 Post by Nikita70 »

I have the MC Blu-ray set on order. Curious to see if there’s any difference between it and the iTunes version. Will also be better for zooming in for details.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Nikita70 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:49 pm I have the MC Blu-ray set on order. Curious to see if there’s any difference between it and the iTunes version. Will also be better for zooming in for details.
I would think that most iTunes, online, and streaming episodes would be the DVD versions. Blu-ray would usually be better HD quality, you only pay once, and you don’t have to worry about internet signal and/or the internet having problems/issues.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#48 Post by Nikita70 »

The iTunes set is in high definition and looks great. I doubt the MC set will look any better, just want a physical copy.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:43 pm
Nikita70 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:49 pm I have the MC Blu-ray set on order. Curious to see if there’s any difference between it and the iTunes version. Will also be better for zooming in for details.
I would think that most iTunes, online, and streaming episodes would be the DVD versions. Blu-ray would usually be better HD quality, you only pay once, and you don’t have to worry about internet signal and/or the internet having problems/issues.
Plus you can take in on a flight with you. Don't have to worry about connection issues at 40,000 feet.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:06 am
MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:43 pm
Plus you can take in on a flight with you. Don't have to worry about connection issues at 40,000 feet.
With real, physical media you never have to worry about any internet connection or signal...you can watch the best quality available anytime you want! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#51 Post by Nikita70 »

My day job is as a seller of physical media- books, DVDs, CDs, vinyl. You’re preaching to the choir! 😎

Old Düsseldorf
Lieutenant

#52 Post by Old Düsseldorf »

One factor I'm interested in is the bonus/extra material. Are there differences between the various releases?

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Old Düsseldorf wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:39 am One factor I'm interested in is the bonus/extra material. Are there differences between the various releases?
Probably the set/s that have the most bonus or special features would be the original Universal season DVD sets. The Blu-ray sets may include some of that as well, but not sure about everything that the DVD sets had? The biggest drawback about the Mill Creek Blu-ray set is it doesn’t include the crossover episodes, as Mill Creek doesn’t have legal rights to all of Universal’s shows. But, I think the Elephant Films Blu-ray set does include them. However, the Pilot on the EF set is definitely a syndicated version. But, the Blu-ray sets definitely have improved HD quality!

Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:41 pm
Old Düsseldorf wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:39 am One factor I'm interested in is the bonus/extra material. Are there differences between the various releases?
Probably the set/s that have the most bonus or special features would be the original Universal season DVD sets. The Blu-ray sets may include some of that as well, but not sure about everything that the DVD sets had? The biggest drawback about the Mill Creek Blu-ray set is it doesn’t include the crossover episodes, as Mill Creek doesn’t have legal rights to all of Universal’s shows. But, I think the Elephant Films Blu-ray set does include them. However, the Pilot on the EF set is definitely a syndicated version. But, the Blu-ray sets definitely have improved HD quality!
I have the box set which has the original Universal DVDs. I don't recall any special features, aside from the Murder, She Wrote crossover episode.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:06 pm
I have the box set which has the original Universal DVDs. I don't recall any special features, aside from the Murder, She Wrote crossover episode.
I have the original Universal season DVD sets & they have the crossover episodes from both MSW and Simon & Simon...but I haven’t watched them in several years. I can’t remember if there were a couple other special features as well or not? I’ll have to check at home later.

Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:55 pm
I have the original Universal season DVD sets & they have the crossover episodes from both MSW and Simon & Simon...but I haven’t watched them in several years. I can’t remember if there were a couple other special features as well or not? I’ll have to check at home later.
Mine doesn't have the S&S crossover episode. Maybe because mine is the box set. Maybe it was on the original individual season DVD releases (the double-sided discs). The original Knight Rider releases that I own were also released on double-sided discs.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:09 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:55 pm
Mine doesn't have the S&S crossover episode. Maybe because mine is the box set. Maybe it was on the original individual season DVD releases (the double-sided discs). The original Knight Rider releases that I own were also released on double-sided discs.
That could be true...I don’t have the DVD box set, as I already have the entire series on DVD with the season sets, as they were released. So, I’m not sure what’s on the DVD box set? And, yes the original Universal season DVD sets of “Magnum” & KR—which I also have, are the double sided discs. However, with KR I recently acquired the special 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set by Turbine...beyond amazing!! The best HD restoration of an older TV show I’ve ever seen (even better than Mill Creek & Elephant Films Blu-ray sets), all original music & songs included (as syndicated reruns were used for Universal DVD sets of most or all their older shows—and KR had certain songs/music cut out or switched out from original airings), all episodes are original uncut NBC airings for the first time since the show originally aired, and the special features, bonus material, and actual memorabilia included are off the charts!!

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#58 Post by Nikita70 »

I received my Mill Creek Blu-ray set yesterday. Nice to see it has both of the Lance White episodes from the Rockford Files as a bonus.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#59 Post by Nikita70 »

Also nice to see the original theme song on th3 early episodes. The digital version has the regular theme song on all episodes.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by eagle »

This thread is reminding me, I need to watch for a sale on iTunes. It's $70 today. Maybe it'll go on sale this month; if it does, I'll buy it. I have the DVDs, but would love a HD version.

Unfortunately it looks like the iTunes versions of the crossover episodes are the syndicated versions. Not surprising, but too bad.