The Unique and Iconic Bond Between Magnum & Higgins.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

The Unique and Iconic Bond Between Magnum & Higgins.

#1 Post by Magnum4eva »

The reboot seems to have taken the Magnum\Higgins dynamic to a direction I deeply dislike so I want to just talk about that iconic relationship between the original and best Magnum and Higgins, a pair of frenemies like no other. I always saw Magnum's and Higgins' bond to be wholly unique to any other dynamic in television history. They weren't father\son like or even straight up enemies but just a complex pair of individuals who couldn't be more different yet they came to depend on each other for advice or in life and death situations. That bond will never be replicated or topped by the reboot or any other tv show.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

Re: The Unique and Iconic Bond Between Magnum & Higgins.

#2 Post by Aloha Friday »

I agree...I like the reboot for what it is today, but not a fan of the Mags/Higgy romance. Hopefully that was just a teaser and it gets more to the classic relationship.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by Magnum4eva »

Aloha Friday wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:39 pm I agree...I like the reboot for what it is today, but not a fan of the Mags/Higgy romance. Hopefully that was just a teaser and it gets more to the classic relationship.
I'm betting they're going full throttle romance as a desperate ratings grab type thing lol. Even if they didn't though the new Mini Mag and the Blonde Higgins just can't compare to the chemistry Tom and John had because it was a special chemistry and very unique and I don't think anybody could ever recapture that which is why they're probably trying the whole "will they\won't they" thing. Elementary actually had great respect for the Holmes\Watson relationship and didn't ruin it just because Watson was a woman. There's no reason a man and woman can't have a real friendship but the Magnum reboot doesn't agree apparently.

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by Mr. Keoki »

I saw the advert with them in the shower together and couldn't believe it. It was obvious from the beginning they'd take the bait. And yes.... it is repulsive.

So in the remake-The Minimag/Shiggins relationship is one-dimensional.

In the original there was definitely a deeper/complex relationship between Magnum and Higgins. It's one of the reasons the show is so good in my opinion. They have similarities, but their differences are significant which creates some excellent interplay.

Anyway I really wish the remake was better, but I could go on and on with examples of simplistic story lines that don't do the original justice. :luther:
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by Magnum4eva »

Mr. Keoki wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:55 pm I saw the advert with them in the shower together and couldn't believe it. It was obvious from the beginning they'd take the bait. And yes.... it is repulsive.

So in the remake-The Minimag/Shiggins relationship is one-dimensional.

In the original there was definitely a deeper/complex relationship between Magnum and Higgins. It's one of the reasons the show is so good in my opinion. They have similarities, but their differences are significant which creates some excellent interplay.

Anyway I really wish the remake was better, but I could go on and on with examples of simplistic story lines that don't do the original justice. :luther:
It's no surprise that Tom and John walked away with Emmys for their portrayals during the show's run, though Roger and Larry certainly deserved to walk home with some for their featured episodes as well. The writers gave Magnum and Higgins such strong traits and storylines and their chemistry together was the glue of the show. It all started when we first met them in the pilot in the "don't look at the dogs" scene. Right away we saw how much fun and dynamic their relationship was. I gotta tell you, that scene was what got me hooked into the show when I first watched it.

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by Philip Jennings »

I'm predicting that later on in season 5, the two of them will have a big argument one evening. Magnum will get really drunk that night at La Mariana, and end up sleeping with a girl that works at a copy/print shop. After one close call, Magnum ultimately can't keep it secret from Higgins, and they have more arguments. Magnum repeatedly exclaims that they were "on a break" as his justification.

Because of course... it is on NBC now. :wink: