Magnum pi on getTV

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Magnum pi on getTV

#1 Post by Pahonu »

I was just watching The Rockford Files on getTV and they played a promo for MPI. Here’s a pic:

https://ibb.co/Wcy882X

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Magnum pi on getTV

#2 Post by Philip Jennings »

Thanks for the heads up. I've recorded all of the airings on the "Charge!" channel, except for #1.14 ("Adelaide") due to a series of unfortunate events/bad luck on my part. That channel stopped airing the show at the end of 2022.

I received the Blu-ray set that was released last spring, but I also like having the syndicated ones too... can't quite explain why, though... But it has been interesting to play them side-by-side simultaneously in order to catch all of the stuff that was removed in the syndication airings.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Chris109 »

Philip Jennings wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:49 am
I received the Blu-ray set that was released last spring, but I also like having the syndicated ones too... can't quite explain why, though... But it has been interesting to play them side-by-side simultaneously in order to catch all of the stuff that was removed in the syndication airings.
Gimme a second. I'll figure it out why you do it. :D

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

42....it's 42...isn't it.............I just knew it.........42............same reason for me!

HAGO! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Chris109 »

308GUY wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:19 am 42....it's 42...isn't it.............I just knew it.........42............same reason for me!

HAGO! :magnum:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by 308GUY »

Naaaaaa...........42's a great answer......and a great number! No need for the doom&gloom! :D

I don't get....get/tv....so I'll just have to watch on FreeVee or any one of the series sets I have on hand. (have to have backup...in case I wear one out, or something "happens" to the one I'm using.)

ALOHA! :magnum:

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Chris109 »

308GUY wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:48 pm Naaaaaa...........42's a great answer......and a great number! No need for the doom&gloom! :D

I don't get....get/tv....so I'll just have to watch on FreeVee or any one of the series sets I have on hand. (have to have backup...in case I wear one out, or something "happens" to the one I'm using.)

Anybody who's anybody gets Get/tv. It's a local affiliate feed. It's a good station if you want to watch Walker, Texas Ranger over and over and over... There's nothing like watching an older show in 480i. Well, there is as a matter of fact.

GIVE ME 1080P OR GIVE ME DEATH! DAMMITT!

Ok, I'll take 1080i. Maybe even 720p. But, nothing lower. I'll stoop low, but not 480i low.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by 308GUY »

Chris109 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:56 am

Anybody who's anybody gets Get/tv. It's a local affiliate feed. It's a good station if you want to watch Walker, Texas Ranger over and over and over... There's nothing like watching an older show in 480i. Well, there is as a matter of fact.

Ok, I'll take 1080i. Maybe even 720p. But, nothing lower. I'll stoop low, but not 480i low.

I never claimed to be "anybody"... so guess I don't qualify....can't find any listing for "getTV" on my channel lineup with "Optimum", who is now our cable and ISP service. Don't have a sattelite or OTA antenae, so guess I'm stuck with FreeVee and my disc sets. Haven't pulled the trigger on a BR set.....yet....seems like there should be something "extra" included as I haven't noticed a difference in regular DVD and BR that, in my estimation, warrants the price hike for the BR. No extra footage...no gag reels...no behind the scenes stuff....just has the BR designation and is "supposed" to be superior quality....but I'm just not convinced.

Anyway, unless and until I go the full fledged dementia route...I will always have the reels in my mind to recall....anytime I want. Then there's the discs and the machines also..... :geek: :lol:

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Chris109 »

308GUY wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:20 pm
Chris109 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:56 am

I never claimed to be "anybody"... so guess I don't qualify....can't find any listing for "getTV" on my channel lineup with "Optimum", who is now our cable and ISP service. Don't have a sattelite or OTA antenae, so guess I'm stuck with FreeVee and my disc sets. Haven't pulled the trigger on a BR set.....yet....seems like there should be something "extra" included as I haven't noticed a difference in regular DVD and BR that, in my estimation, warrants the price hike for the BR. No extra footage...no gag reels...no behind the scenes stuff....just has the BR designation and is "supposed" to be superior quality....but I'm just not convinced.

Anyway, unless and until I go the full fledged dementia route...I will always have the reels in my mind to recall....anytime I want. Then there's the discs and the machines also..... :geek: :lol:

I haven't had cable in a bazillion years so I don't know where that would be if it was on cable.

I have some 720 and some 1080 of MPI. Can't tell the difference bw the two. Some scenes are grainy no matter what 'p' it is. But, the one place where I definitely see the difference is in outdoor scenes.

As for dementia: It's prevalent on my dad's side, so I'm almost there. I'm used to living in my own world as it is.

"And so my term of service at sea had come to an end. Once again, I found myself quite alone in the world, with little capitol and few prospects. Of the details of my escape from The Raging Queen, as well as my adventures subsequent thereto, the reader shall learn in my next chapter: ‘I Am Eaten By Sharks’.”

btw, I like to quote from movies but I screwed the line up. I was referencing Back to The Future; "Everybody who's anybody drinks." I hang my head in shaaaaaame.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I agree that watching 80s shows on Blu-Ray can be a mixed bag. I recently purchased Blu-Rays of KNIGHT RIDER and THE A-TEAM and compared them with my DVD copies (released by Universal back in the mid-2000s) and honestly in many ways I prefer my DVD copies. For one, the Blu-Rays have no subtitles. Can you believe that???? I mean these are supposed to be legit releases. Not bootlegs. What, Mill Creek can't spring for some subtitles?? Secondly, while the picture quality on Blu-Ray may appear sharper it also brings out more grain as a result. Then there's the picture itself which is too bright. I like the less bright look of my DVDs. Looks more natural. Not overly lit. Also the colors themselves look more muted on the Blu-Rays. On the DVDs they look more vibrant. The green looks like lush green. On the Blu-Ray it's like a washed-out green. Really don't like that. And then there's the sound on the Blu-Rays which has always irked me. I'm not deaf so I don't need the sounds of gunfire or tires screeching to rupture my eardrums. I can comfortably wear my headset while watching my DVDs but yesterday I tried to watch the A-TEAM pilot on Blu-Ray and the sounds of trucks roaring by and gunfire blazing forced me to take those headsets off. Just way too loud! Why can't the dialogue scenes be well balanced with the action scenes? The way they are on regular DVDs. Just really irks the heck out of me!

So for those who really need to see every pore on a person's face then sure go ahead and enjoy the Blu-Rays. But for me I'm more than happy with regular DVDs. The quality on those is still way beyond what we watched on our rabbit ears growing up. So those looking for some High Def experience I guess I don't get it. Should we colorize THE HONEYMOONERS and make it 3-D? :roll:

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

#11 Post by Philip Jennings »

Geez, let's just forget I said anything about the Blu-ray set... 😂

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Chris109 »

Philip Jennings wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:47 pm Geez, let's just forget I said anything about the Blu-ray set... 😂
That's what makes this an interesting world. Nobody is happy.

We need Landru.

He gives us...

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by Philip Jennings »

Late notice... but the pilot episode/movie (2 parts) started a bit ago.

The frame is vertically squished (with horizontal bars above and below), and horizontally cropped (but by a miniscule amount). It also shows more compression artifacts, though that could be specific to my local affiliate.

To compare with my recording of when it was on the "Charge!" network:

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by Philip Jennings »

...and before this devolves into a debate against 480i presentations, yes I'm aware that my comparison above is, shall we say: mushy apples to mushy apples.

waverly2211
Captain

#15 Post by waverly2211 »

Tuned into GetTV on the backyard TV. Screen quality wasn't the best but that vs. not having it at all to watch with a cold beer, well I chose the watch with a cold beer.