Higgin's Portrait of the Queen

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Aloha Friday
Admiral

Higgin's Portrait of the Queen

#1 Post by Aloha Friday »

I am close to finishing this painting...was thinking about doing for a while. Then after QE2 died, I thought why not? Image
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Higgin's Portrait of the Queen

#2 Post by Pahonu »

Aloha Friday wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:48 pm I am close to finishing this painting...was thinking about doing for a while. Then after QE2 died, I thought why not? Image
Very nice work! I hesitate to say, but thought you might want to know if you didn’t already. The portrait in Higgins’ study wasn’t Queen Elizabeth II. It was her mother, the Queen Mum, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon who died about 20 years ago at over 100! She was the queen consort while her husband George VI, reigned. He ascended the throne after his father, George V, died and his oldest son, Edward VIII, abdicated later that year to marry the American socialite Wallis Simpson. When George VI died, his daughter Elizabeth, became queen. Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon was then known as Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, or just the Queen Mum, to avoid confusion with her daughter, Queen Elizabeth II. That’s a bit confusing I think, and sorry if you already knew this! Regardless, it’s a well done piece. :D

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#3 Post by Aloha Friday »

Thanks. Yes, I knew it was the Queen Mum, at least in the original photo. ImageI was not familiar with the background however...always interesting. I liked the Queen, and her mother, the rest of them, not so much.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#4 Post by Aloha Friday »

Got a suitable frame for the Queen Mum's portrait. I had to lighten the frame's color a bit to make it less brassy. Image
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#5 Post by Pahonu »

Aloha Friday wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:41 pm Got a suitable frame for the Queen Mum's portrait. I had to lighten the frame's color a bit to make it less brassy. Image
Nice work!