Is the Magnum legacy in danger due to reboot?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

Re: Is the Magnum legacy in danger due to reboot?

#31 Post by Magnum4eva »

Laohu wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:47 am
Magnum4eva wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:30 pm
Laohu wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:18 pm If anything the reboot has given the old show a new life . It’s a big world and plenty of room for both . I have think in 10 years or so we will be looking at version 3 of Magnum with a new lead actor and can also enjoy what he brings to the role . James Bond is a perfect example of this many actors has played him and each actor brings something different to the role . I don’t think anyone has anything to worry about the new show has been very respectful of the original and is just adding to the legacy of the show .

I do agree that if anything the reboot's only redeeming quality is that it possibly brought the original to a whole new audience who are curious about what this was a reboot of. Hopefully it does make the original and true Magnum even more popular and beloved by new generations to come. I disagree about comparing Magnum to James Bond because the situations aren't exactly the same. Sean Connery was replaced quite instantly after he left the role and there has been new Bonds every decade so people are used to it. Tom Selleck has been the one and only Magnum for over forty years. Also, the role was written for Tom and has his name in it so he owns the character in a way that the Bond actors never did. It's like Peter Falk's Columbo, if you take Peter out of the role and throw another person in it all the charm, quirks and essence of the character goes with Peter because the character IS him.
The situations may not be exactly the same but they are similar enough. Magnum has had two actors play the same role and both has done there own take on the role . The amount of time in between has no bearing on it at all . Tom and Jay are actors who have both been successful in this role and I don’t see any reason that the actors that follow them in playing this part could not be successful as well .
My point is this the old show legacy is intact. The new show is creating there own legacy while adding to the legacy of the old not subtracting from it .
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree about the new show's legacy, that's if it'll even have a legacy at all when its over other than just being a "new model" of a classic show, but I do agree that the original's legacy is cemented in history. Tom himself was pretty confident himself about the show's legacy which is why he told them to go ahead and do it because he knows his iconic show won't ever be outdone. For me personally, and I totally get that the ones that like the reboot don't agree which is fine, but for me personally there will always be ONE Magnum and it's the guy with the mustache :magnum:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Laohu wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:18 pm If anything the reboot has given the old show a new life . It’s a big world and plenty of room for both . I have think in 10 years or so we will be looking at version 3 of Magnum with a new lead actor and can also enjoy what he brings to the role . James Bond is a perfect example of this many actors has played him and each actor brings something different to the role . I don’t think anyone has anything to worry about the new show has been very respectful of the original and is just adding to the legacy of the show .

I do agree that if anything the reboot's only redeeming quality is that it possibly brought the original to a whole new audience who are curious about what this was a reboot of. Hopefully it does make the original and true Magnum even more popular and beloved by new generations to come. I disagree about comparing Magnum to James Bond because the situations aren't exactly the same. Sean Connery was replaced quite instantly after he left the role and there has been new Bonds every decade so people are used to it. Tom Selleck has been the one and only Magnum for over forty years. Also, the role was written for Tom and has his name in it so he owns the character in a way that the Bond actors never did. It's like Peter Falk's Columbo, if you take Peter out of the role and throw another person in it all the charm, quirks and essence of the character goes with Peter because the character IS him.
I agree. With Bond people have gotten used to there being different James Bonds through the decades. Plus each actor who plays Bond plays him differently. We've come to expect that there are different approaches to playing the character. Even though we personally may have our preferences. My personal preference is more in line with how Connery and Moore played the role. I like the more playful approach to the character. Not so much the down-and-dirty gritty approach of Daniel Craig. Actually if we talk about the more serious portrayals of the character then personally I would prefer Dalton over Craig. He just has a more traditional Bond look to him which is more my cup of tea. Plus his films didn't get mired in all the "emotional" soap opera nonsense of the most recent films. They really did take it too far, especially with the last one (shudder). Anyway, I digressed...

But there's a reason there is only one Rocky, one Indy, one John McClane, one Columbo, one Rockford, etc. Some roles are just so associated with a certain actor that you can't disassociate them. You really can't say there are many different ways to interpret the Columbo character. Because Peter Falk is Columbo and Columbo is Peter Falk. Anything else just isn't Columbo. It's something else. Jay Hernandez may be doing his own thing but it ain't Magnum. Also, am I the only one that actually sees Zachary Knighton as a better choice for Magnum than Jay? Not only is he Caucasian which makes sense for the character but he also feels more like the character than the slight and all-too-proper Jay. It's crazy seeing Rick and TC towering over Mag.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#33 Post by Magnum4eva »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:00 pm

I agree. With Bond people have gotten used to there being different James Bonds through the decades. Plus each actor who plays Bond plays him differently. We've come to expect that there are different approaches to playing the character. Even though we personally may have our preferences. My personal preference is more in line with how Connery and Moore played the role. I like the more playful approach to the character. Not so much the down-and-dirty gritty approach of Daniel Craig. Actually if we talk about the more serious portrayals of the character then personally I would prefer Dalton over Craig. He just has a more traditional Bond look to him which is more my cup of tea. Plus his films didn't get mired in all the "emotional" soap opera nonsense of the most recent films. They really did take it too far, especially with the last one (shudder). Anyway, I digressed...

But there's a reason there is only one Rocky, one Indy, one John McClane, one Columbo, one Rockford, etc. Some roles are just so associated with a certain actor that you can't disassociate them. You really can't say there are many different ways to interpret the Columbo character. Because Peter Falk is Columbo and Columbo is Peter Falk. Anything else just isn't Columbo. It's something else. Jay Hernandez may be doing his own thing but it ain't Magnum. Also, am I the only one that actually sees Zachary Knighton as a better choice for Magnum than Jay? Not only is he Caucasian which makes sense for the character but he also feels more like the character than the slight and all-too-proper Jay. It's crazy seeing Rick and TC towering over Mag.

Speaking of Rockford, I read that they actually shot a reboot pilot of The Rockford Files back in 2010 but it was so disastrous that they never even aired it and of course the plug got pulled so fast your head could spin. Once again, proof that you just can't replace certain people in certain roles and James Garner will ALWAYS be Jim Rockford. That whole cast was perfect and born to play their roles just like the cast of Magnum was and still is.

Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Magnum4eva wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:04 pm

Speaking of Rockford, I read that they actually shot a reboot pilot of The Rockford Files back in 2010 but it was so disastrous that they never even aired it and of course the plug got pulled so fast your head could spin. Once again, proof that you just can't replace certain people in certain roles and James Garner will ALWAYS be Jim Rockford. That whole cast was perfect and born to play their roles just like the cast of Magnum was and still is.
Yep I heard that too. Also I heard rumors that it was either Vince Vaughn or Dermot Mulroney that they had gotten to play Rockford. Not sure which one is accurate. Neither one works as Rockford for me. Well, no one works as Rockford. Except Jimmy Garner.

I still get a good laugh when I remember seeing comments in the past that Alex O'Loughlin was a better McGarrett than Jack Lord. Better actor. :lol: More believable. :lol: I mean if more believable means someone you could have a couple of beers with on the beach then yeah I guess Alex is your guy. Didn't every episode end with the gang just chilling and having beers on the beach? But if more believable means the cartoony cops-and-robbers nonsense they engaged in, with them running roughshod all over Honolulu and beyond (North Korea, Mexico, Africa, Afghanistan, etc. :lol: :lol:) with guns a blazing, crazy CGI nonsense, and stupid bickering between McG and Danno then you've gotta be kidding me! :roll:

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#35 Post by Magnum4eva »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:25 pm
Magnum4eva wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:04 pm

Yep I heard that too. Also I heard rumors that it was either Vince Vaughn or Dermot Mulroney that they had gotten to play Rockford. Not sure which one is accurate. Neither one works as Rockford for me. Well, no one works as Rockford. Except Jimmy Garner.

I still get a good laugh when I remember seeing comments in the past that Alex O'Loughlin was a better McGarrett than Jack Lord. Better actor. :lol: More believable. :lol: I mean if more believable means someone you could have a couple of beers with on the beach then yeah I guess Alex is your guy. Didn't every episode end with the gang just chilling and having beers on the beach? But if more believable means the cartoony cops-and-robbers nonsense they engaged in, with them running roughshod all over Honolulu and beyond (North Korea, Mexico, Africa, Afghanistan, etc. :lol: :lol:) with guns a blazing, crazy CGI nonsense, and stupid bickering between McG and Danno then you've gotta be kidding me! :roll:

No they did not lol. Well, for their sake I hope they were kidding lol.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#36 Post by Pahonu »

Dermot Mulroney was in the TV pilot that was completed but shelved.

https://www.vulture.com/2010/05/rockfor ... eboot.html

Vince Vaughn was involved a couple of years later with an attempt at a feature film.

https://www.indiewire.com/2012/04/vince ... 11604/amp/

Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:42 pm Dermot Mulroney was in the TV pilot that was completed but shelved.

https://www.vulture.com/2010/05/rockfor ... eboot.html

Vince Vaughn was involved a couple of years later with an attempt at a feature film.

https://www.indiewire.com/2012/04/vince ... 11604/amp/
Ah, thanks. So I was right about both of them.

Amian
Admiral

#38 Post by Amian »

Agree that the original MPI legacy is safe. If the reboot was going to mount a challenge in viewers' minds, it would have happened already. The original remains the far better series, but I won't begrudge the reboot if it has fans who think otherwise. They're not hurting anyone. But, I will say add that legacies change over time, and there's nothing wrong with that; it just happens. Here's an interesting article in the NY Times about the evolution of the Sight & Sound Top 100 Movies of All Time list:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... -time.html

You can see that every decade some movies are added, some rise in the list, some go down and some disappear. But in our age, with its proliferation of media (both physical and digital), there will always be a committed fan base for anything worth watching.
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:16 pm Now, if Jay Hernandez becomes some kind of a break-out star (a la Will Smith or something) and embarks on a major movie career then maybe his version of MPI would be better remembered but ultimately it would still get overshadowed by his movies, as has happened with Will Smith. Most folks today think of Will Smith as a movie actor and not the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" (as good as that show was in the 90s). The new MPI just has no chance to cement any kind of legacy. None of Lenkov's shows do. Look at MacGYVER reboot. It came and went. But everybody still knows that Richard Dean Anderson IS MacGyver!
Hmmm, the career trajectory of Will Smith and Jay Hernandez couldn't be more different, I think. Unrelated, but I will quibble with the idea that most folks today think of Will Smith as a movie actor and not as the Fresh Prince. I see him entirely as both, and I would imagine that he probably gets the Bel-Air theme song quoted to him more than any other of his lines. (Side note: Bel-Air was rebooted in a grittier version last year. I didn't see it, but I also don't hear anyone complaining about it tainting the original's legacy.)

Didn't see the MacGyver reboot. MacGruber, on the other hand? Enjoyed it!

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Reef monkey »

emenius wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:43 am Wait there was a Spenser reboot? What the fudge? Never heard of it.
Not a series, Netflix released a feature length film starring Mark Wahlberg in 2020.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81005492
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850