Is the Magnum legacy in danger due to reboot?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: Is the Magnum legacy in danger due to reboot?

#16 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:12 pm I think maybe a little bit.

Original die-hard Magnum, P.I. fans dying off.

And in some ways it’s being pushed out by Minimag online.

The more years pass the more if you Google “Magnum PI” or “Magnum PI gif” or whatever it’s a chore getting through the Minimag results.

The Internet rules 100% for Millennials and GenZ(ed). In a sense, it decides what is and what isn’t iconic these days to anyone under 30.
No worries. It's only the younger, in shape, sports set that are dropping like flies. Too young for the original MPI'ers.

emenius
Commander

#17 Post by emenius »

I don't think Magnum PI will ever be surpassed by the original. I'm in the thought that although the reboot has the same named characters and setting, it's a different show. There is a different feel to it, but they tried to replicate in in the first season.

emenius
Commander

#18 Post by emenius »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:16 pm Just like the FIVE-O reboot which actually ran for 10 seasons but is pretty much forgotten now (not that people talked about it when it was on). Now, if Jay Hernandez becomes some kind of a break-out star (a la Will Smith or something) and embarks on a major movie career then maybe his version of MPI would be better remembered but ultimately it would still get overshadowed by his movies, as has happened with Will Smith. Most folks today think of Will Smith as a movie actor and not the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" (as good as that show was in the 90s). The new MPI just has no chance to cement any kind of legacy. None of Lenkov's shows do. Look at MacGYVER reboot. It came and went. But everybody still knows that Richard Dean Anderson IS MacGyver!
I liked the new Hawaii Five-0, although not enough to watch it regularly, but on the other had I loved the original Hawaii Five-O. I watch it from time to time on Paramount+. On the other had I hated the Macgyver reboot. I watched the pilot and nothing else. Just to reiterate, hated it absolutely hated it.

emenius
Commander

#19 Post by emenius »

Magnum4eva wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:45 pm Just like no matter how plays The Equalizer Edward Woodward will always be the first and the best to do it.
That is absolutely correct, Edward Woodward will always be The Equalizer. Loved the show so I bought the DVD, even if some of the original music was replaced.

emenius
Commander

#20 Post by emenius »

Reef monkey wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:53 pm Yeah, agree on the Spenser reboot. There were some funny bits in it, but overall, it is something we've seen over and over many times before, and definitely not Urich's Spenser.

So now I'm thinking about other more obscure shows from the 80s that fit this mold. A big one that comes to mind is Stingray. Its protagonist known only as "Ray" drives around in a black 1965 Corvette Stingray, solving the problems of people who find him through his classified ad advertising the Corvette "for barter only to the right party. He doesn't charge people for their services, just makes them understand that one day he will come to them and ask them to perform a service for him - and most episodes show some random person doing something for him that helps him solve his current case, anything from a doctor taking care of a gunshot wound so he doesn't have to go to the ER, to a bakery owner letting him borrow his delivery van. My brothers and I loved this show as kids.

And what about Midnight Caller starring Gary Cole as a former police detective who now hosts a late night call-in radio show where people call in with their problems, and he solves them during the day.
Wait there was a Spenser reboot? What the fudge? Never heard of it.
I haven't thought about Stingray for a long time. I loved the show as a kid and was surprised it only lasted two seasons. Very underrated.
I have to check out Midnight Caller. A show I missed in the 80's. I thought I watched them all, guess not.

Ed

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:20 am No worries at all Magnum4eva!
The original will never be erased by the reboot!!
I've watched all 4 seasons of the reboot and feel the original is way better and Tom......well he is in a league of his own, end of story.
It will be interesting to see what NBC does with the show for the next two seasons.
Reboot Magnum returns on Sunday, Feb.19 on NBC. I wonder if they will dedicate the episode to Roger Mosley since he did appear in the series.
It would be a smart move, perhaps also have Larry do a cameo.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:40 am
I've watched all 4 seasons of the reboot and feel the original is way better and Tom......well he is in a league of his own, end of story.
It will be interesting to see what NBC does with the show for the next two seasons.
Reboot Magnum returns on Sunday, Feb.19 on NBC. I wonder if they will dedicate the episode to Roger Mosley since he did appear in the series.
I recall being surprised that Roger E. Mosley was born in 1938. I always expected he was around Selleck's age. Always thought he was born in the mid-to-late 1940s. But he was a whole 10 years older than I thought he was. On MPI he looked like a guy in his 30s, not 40s. Like Larry Manetti. They looked to be around the same age. I mean by the time the show ended in 1988 Roger was already 50! :shock: I guess he had some good genes. Or maybe it was just his silly boyish charm that made him appear younger. :)

emenius
Commander

#23 Post by emenius »

Yeah, I was surprised that he was older than he looked too.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#24 Post by Magnum4eva »

I'm obviously not watching it but if they do pay some tribute to Roger at least they'd be showing the original show and the immortal cast members that played those characters some respect. I'd appreciate that at least.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Reboot Magnum this week on NBC. I wonder if they will dedicate the episode to Roger Mosley since he did appear in the series.

The Magnum PI remake on NBC returns Feb. 13 with season 1's first episode at 10 PM.
Feb. 14 with season's 4 first episode, at 10 pm.
Sunday Feb. 19, from 8 pm to 11 pm, NBC runs the season 4 ender, number 20, then season 5 episodes 1 and 2.

So NBC heavily promoting it with five hours in just one week.

Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#26 Post by Magnum4eva »

Just found the new Magnum Official Youtube Channel. Looks like the legacy's still going strong just fine. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC68wMF ... 4lKtFf7YQA

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Magnum4eva wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:30 pm Just found the new Magnum Official Youtube Channel. Looks like the legacy's still going strong just fine. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC68wMF ... 4lKtFf7YQA
That's good to see but if they don't run full episodes these clip posts will only appeal to already fans like us.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Laohu »

If anything the reboot has given the old show a new life . It’s a big world and plenty of room for both . I have think in 10 years or so we will be looking at version 3 of Magnum with a new lead actor and can also enjoy what he brings to the role . James Bond is a perfect example of this many actors has played him and each actor brings something different to the role . I don’t think anyone has anything to worry about the new show has been very respectful of the original and is just adding to the legacy of the show .

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#29 Post by Magnum4eva »

Laohu wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:18 pm If anything the reboot has given the old show a new life . It’s a big world and plenty of room for both . I have think in 10 years or so we will be looking at version 3 of Magnum with a new lead actor and can also enjoy what he brings to the role . James Bond is a perfect example of this many actors has played him and each actor brings something different to the role . I don’t think anyone has anything to worry about the new show has been very respectful of the original and is just adding to the legacy of the show .

I do agree that if anything the reboot's only redeeming quality is that it possibly brought the original to a whole new audience who are curious about what this was a reboot of. Hopefully it does make the original and true Magnum even more popular and beloved by new generations to come. I disagree about comparing Magnum to James Bond because the situations aren't exactly the same. Sean Connery was replaced quite instantly after he left the role and there has been new Bonds every decade so people are used to it. Tom Selleck has been the one and only Magnum for over forty years. Also, the role was written for Tom and has his name in it so he owns the character in a way that the Bond actors never did. It's like Peter Falk's Columbo, if you take Peter out of the role and throw another person in it all the charm, quirks and essence of the character goes with Peter because the character IS him.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Laohu »

Magnum4eva wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:30 pm
Laohu wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:18 pm If anything the reboot has given the old show a new life . It’s a big world and plenty of room for both . I have think in 10 years or so we will be looking at version 3 of Magnum with a new lead actor and can also enjoy what he brings to the role . James Bond is a perfect example of this many actors has played him and each actor brings something different to the role . I don’t think anyone has anything to worry about the new show has been very respectful of the original and is just adding to the legacy of the show .

I do agree that if anything the reboot's only redeeming quality is that it possibly brought the original to a whole new audience who are curious about what this was a reboot of. Hopefully it does make the original and true Magnum even more popular and beloved by new generations to come. I disagree about comparing Magnum to James Bond because the situations aren't exactly the same. Sean Connery was replaced quite instantly after he left the role and there has been new Bonds every decade so people are used to it. Tom Selleck has been the one and only Magnum for over forty years. Also, the role was written for Tom and has his name in it so he owns the character in a way that the Bond actors never did. It's like Peter Falk's Columbo, if you take Peter out of the role and throw another person in it all the charm, quirks and essence of the character goes with Peter because the character IS him.
The situations may not be exactly the same but they are similar enough. Magnum has had two actors play the same role and both has done there own take on the role . The amount of time in between has no bearing on it at all . Tom and Jay are actors who have both been successful in this role and I don’t see any reason that the actors that follow them in playing this part could not be successful as well .
My point is this the old show legacy is intact. The new show is creating there own legacy while adding to the legacy of the old not subtracting from it .