Wishlist crossovers?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

Wishlist crossovers?

#1 Post by Magnum4eva »

Magnum PI was no stranger to crossovers with Simon & Simon and a great one with Murder, She Wrote. There was even supposed to be one with The Equalizer which I would've loved too.
If I had a top five wishlist of shows I would've loved to have seen Magnum crossover with I'd have :

5. Kojak. The idea of Thomas Magnum and Theo Kojak on a case together would've been awesome. I could just picture a fun interaction between Theo and Higgins too.
4.Charlie's Angels. I mean... come on. Working with the angels would've made Thomas, TC and Rick's year lol.
3. Moonlighting. This would've been a very strange one but could've been very fun if done right. I could definitely see the writers having fun with this.
2. Spenser For Hire. A very natural one that would've made a lot of sense. Watching Magnum, TC and Rick work a case with Spenser and Hawk would've been a blast! Though I imagine Hawk would want to shoot Thomas after a while lol.
1. The Rockford Files. The idea of reuniting Tom Selleck and James Garner could've been epic. Lots of fun nods to the Lance White\Jim Rockford dynamic would've been fun. Just imagine Jim, Rocky and Angel Martin in Hawaii with Thomas and Co. I think if done well this could've been a legendary television event.

What are yours? It doesn't have to be strictly the 80s, could easily be a show from any decade it's just for fun. :)

litefoot
Vice Admiral

Re: Wishlist crossovers?

#2 Post by litefoot »

Quantum Leap. This was on the cards thanks to the Bellisario connection but didn't happen for some reason. Sam leaps into Magnum, and presumably is there to solve one of his cases. I'd like to think Higgins' dogs would see Sam instead of Magnum, and they'd be nice to Sam, much to Higgins' consternation. Much info on that crossover here

https://www.cbr.com/tv-legends-did-sam- ... agnum-p-i/

Doctor Who. I'd have loved for this to happen. They're worlds apart in terms of budget, genre, style - but it could have been fun. The Doctor would come into Magnum's world, rather than Magnum into the Doctor's, and the Doctor would help Magnum solve a mystery. No need for time travel or aliens or monsters. The TARDIS crew have arrived at various points in history and gotten caught up in local events without there being anything fantastical involved. And Doctor Who already has connections with Magnum PI, as the two part London story is packed with Doctor Who actors - a Doctor, and two major Doctor Who villains - nine in all.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

I know that for the episode, AAPI, James Garner was considered, but he would never work for Universal again.

What I always thought would be great was for Magnum to go to Malibu and run into Rockford on a case in Paradise Cove. Jim would struggle for the whole episode with how much TM reminded him of a guy he had worked with before… Lance White! So many opportunities there!!!

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by Magnum4eva »

litefoot wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:51 am Quantum Leap. This was on the cards thanks to the Bellisario connection but didn't happen for some reason. Sam leaps into Magnum, and presumably is there to solve one of his cases. I'd like to think Higgins' dogs would see Sam instead of Magnum, and they'd be nice to Sam, much to Higgins' consternation. Much info on that crossover here

https://www.cbr.com/tv-legends-did-sam- ... agnum-p-i/

Doctor Who. I'd have loved for this to happen. They're worlds apart in terms of budget, genre, style - but it could have been fun. The Doctor would come into Magnum's world, rather than Magnum into the Doctor's, and the Doctor would help Magnum solve a mystery. No need for time travel or aliens or monsters. The TARDIS crew have arrived at various points in history and gotten caught up in local events without there being anything fantastical involved. And Doctor Who already has connections with Magnum PI, as the two part London story is packed with Doctor Who actors - a Doctor, and two major Doctor Who villains - nine in all.
Yes! I remember reading about this quite a bit the past few years. Man, that could've been a great two hour movie. Sad that it'll never happen now but what a great idea.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by Magnum4eva »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:50 am I know that for the episode, AAPI, James Garner was considered, but he would never work for Universal again.

What I always thought would be great was for Magnum to go to Malibu and run into Rockford on a case in Paradise Cove. Jim would struggle for the whole episode with how much TM reminded him of a guy he had worked with before… Lance White! So many opportunities there!!!

Jim Rockford and Thomas Magnum together would've just been the best! And you're right there's no way they couldn't have had fun playing around with the Lance White connection :lol: