Momentum Sea Quartz 30

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Momentum Sea Quartz 30

#121 Post by Raykv423 »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:03 pm the Westy.
I'm sorry, what's the Westy?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#122 Post by Pahonu »

Raykv423 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:00 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:03 pm the Westy.
I'm sorry, what's the Westy?
Sorry, it’s a 1988 VW Westfalia camper van shown in this link, which is pretty similar to mine.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/mean ... 96459.html

In my comment, I was refereeing to doing mechanical work that might damage a nice watch, so I wear the Casio instead. I also have a 1968 Columbia sloop like the link below. Working on it might also lead to such damage.

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/61436

Mine is called Irish Mist and has a green boot stripe and green canvas. My Westy is called Big Blue. LOL!

Not to pressure Styles, but I have posted pics of both my Westy, Big Blue, and my sloop, Irish Mist somewhere here on the forum. :D

Pahonu

#123 Post by Pahonu »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:03 pm Thanks Styles! You know the models of my watches better than me. :shock: :lol:

It does have a heavy “patina” as you say. I just keep it as a beater watch now. I can’t believe it still keeps great time and I never cracked the crystal. It’s closing in on 35 years old. After badly cracking the crystal on another dive watch that I had, and the watch shop giving me a repair bill close to the price I had paid, I got the Invicta and started the swapping watches routine. I wear the Invicta to work and other nice places. The old Casio is out for the weekends working on my boat or the Westy or camping as I mentioned.

I remember buying the Casio at a watch store near college and it had the bracelet option and a plastic strap option very much like the link you provided. I didn’t have the money for the bracelet. After several years the plastic strap broke and I was recommended a Tropic by a fellow diver. This waslong before I joined this forum or learned that TM had used one, maybe the mid 80’s or so.

I also remember that I used to have the battery replaced at a shop along with the seal, just to keep it water tight. I gave that up long ago. After several Tropics, I tried the one you see in the photo, but it was a little too snug. I’m a very big guy, if you remember. Not long after that it photo I got the NATO strap, just in black. I keep things pretty simple most of the time.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#124 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Here's Big Blue.

I can't find a photo of Irish Mist though. I think I remember you posting a photo of it years ago with the famous Riptide boat in the same frame...
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#125 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:15 pm Here's Big Blue.

I can't find a photo of Irish Mist though. I think I remember you posting a photo of it years ago with the famous Riptide boat in the same frame...
Dang Styles, impressive memory!
The Riptide boat WAS docked here one weekend and I got to go onboard. I bought the DVD’s for a rewatch after that. Now I have to find a photo of Irish Mist in my phone, or look like a total slacker. LOL!

The rear window is now covered with stickers from our various camping trips. There’s also a few more on the hatch window, about 20 in total. We’ve been to some many times. I think we’re about 90+ trips now. My wife has three diaries filled with thoughts about each trip.
Last edited by Pahonu on Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#126 Post by Pahonu »

Here you go. The first one is Irish Mist looking toward the channel to the right. The second is Riptide looking toward my building in the upper left, with Irish Mist behind it.

Styles Bitchley

#127 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Love it. I've been slowly meandering through Riptide myself. It has a great vibe - very different from Magnum, but still fun. A lot more California babes in bikinis.

I bet you've seen some nice Pacific sunsets aboard Irish Mist. You're living the dream, my friend.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by eagle »

I had a realization today:

If I had to go down to one and only one watch, it would be this Momentum SQ30. If I had to go down to one watch, I would swap this strap for an oyster bracelet or a NATO style strap.

I am super impressed with this Momentum SQ30.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#129 Post by Nikita70 »

It really is incredible the satisfaction I get with this $250 watch. All of my other watches are automatics, not counting the few digitals I have which I use in the shop. It’s very accurate, it’s gained 3 seconds since the time change a few weeks ago. Lightweight, just seems to slink along on my wrist. Jubilee super comfortable. It has really made me reconsider future watch purchases. I’m not done with automatics yet I feel sure there will be more quartz watches in my future, possibly more Momentum watches.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by eagle »

Nikita70 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:31 am It really is incredible the satisfaction I get with this $250 watch. All of my other watches are automatics, not counting the few digitals I have which I use in the shop. It’s very accurate, it’s gained 3 seconds since the time change a few weeks ago. Lightweight, just seems to slink along on my wrist. Jubilee super comfortable. It has really made me reconsider future watch purchases. I’m not done with automatics yet I feel sure there will be more quartz watches in my future, possibly more Momentum watches.
Seriously, Nikita! This is definitely my favorite watch, and would be my only watch if I had to limit myself to one.

After this purchase and product experience, I will definitely consider other Momentum watches!

Styles Bitchley

#131 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Jeez. You guys are really convincing me.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#132 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:00 pm Jeez. You guys are really convincing me.
Me too! …and I thought I had settled into a watch routine. LOL

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by eagle »

Throwing fuel to the fire:

I was in a pattern of wearing my Apple Watch every day. I truly do not care for the Apple Watch (it's not really a watch, it's a Dick Tracy/Star Trek communicator), but as a Mac/iPhone user it is very convenient.

I have not worn any watch other than my Momentum, since getting the Momentum SQ30.

I am genuinely impressed with this watch, and am not joking when I say it would be my only watch if I had to limit myself to 1.

:magnum: :magnum: :magnum:

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#134 Post by To The Regiment »

eagle wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:32 pm
Nikita70 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:31 am It really is incredible the satisfaction I get with this $250 watch. All of my other watches are automatics, not counting the few digitals I have which I use in the shop. It’s very accurate, it’s gained 3 seconds since the time change a few weeks ago. Lightweight, just seems to slink along on my wrist. Jubilee super comfortable. It has really made me reconsider future watch purchases. I’m not done with automatics yet I feel sure there will be more quartz watches in my future, possibly more Momentum watches.
Seriously, Nikita! This is definitely my favorite watch, and would be my only watch if I had to limit myself to one.

After this purchase and product experience, I will definitely consider other Momentum watches!
Same here. My Momentum Sea Quartz 30 continues to be my daily driver. Hard to beat it.

Cheers!
To The Regiment

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#135 Post by Nikita70 »

Styles and Pahonu, get onboard! I know there are other watches at this price point that are well made decent quality but you guys are Magnum fans. It’s a must have IMO. It’s gotten 90% of my wrist time since I received it, my Tudor has gotten the rest.
My simple breakdown is this:
Accuracy is great.
Comfort is great.
Lume is good, could be better.
Bracelet is great.
Strap is very good, could be better.
Looks are awesome.