Momentum Sea Quartz 30

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Momentum Sea Quartz 30

#106 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Wow. Great review and photos. So grateful for the side by side comparison. Interesting to hear that the tropic is the harder material, like the one I have from Uncle Seiko. Interestingly, mine did get a lot more comfortable after time and the hot water/coffee mug trick. ;-)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by eagle »

Thanks for the kind comments. I don't know the hot water/coffee mug trick, but I think I can guess: wrap the strap around a coffee mug, and pour hot water into it, and repeat several times... is that it?

And, maybe I misspoke... the name-brand Tropic Strap is softer than the tropic-style strap that came with my Momentum. The Momentum one is harder.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by 308GUY »

Great review and pics eagle!

I put mine on a jubilee mostly for the ease on/off, but I like the way the tropic strap feels on my wrist better.

With the obvious success of this model, I'm wondering if Momentum will come out with their own pepsi GMT? :D

Their quality seems to be top shelf for the price range. If they do, I'd probably spring for one! :lol:

Nice shirt too! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#109 Post by Pahonu »

Very thorough review, thank you!

I’ve been through many Tropic straps on an old Casio dive watch I’ve had for over 30 years, going back to college in the late 80’s/early 90’s. I have to add that in my experience, they haven’t all been uniformly flexible over that time. Perhaps it was just because I was comparing a worn strap with a new one, but I recall at least once or twice thinking the new strap was much stiffer. It’s very subjective, I suppose. I’ve also beaten the crap out of that watch over all those years. Now I pretty much only wear it when I’m camping or hiking or doing some project around the house because I don’t care if it gets more banged up. Still works great though, but I wouldn’t trust it underwater any more. I fairly recently got rid of the last of many Tropics and decided to put a NATO strap on it for the first time. I’m curious to see how its durability compares.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#110 Post by eagle »

I have been wearing mostly this watch since I got it, but I have also worn my Apple Watch a little too. The more I wear this Momentum watch, the more I like it. This one and my Steinhart Pepsi GMT are now my favorites in my collection.

The strap still feels tight, and the watch feels heavy, but that heaviness is probably because I've been wearing the Apple Watch almost exclusively for a while, and it is very light.

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#111 Post by Raykv423 »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:54 pm Very thorough review, thank you!

I’ve been through many Tropic straps on an old Casio dive watch I’ve had for over 30 years, going back to college in the late 80’s/early 90’s. I have to add that in my experience, they haven’t all been uniformly flexible over that time. Perhaps it was just because I was comparing a worn strap with a new one, but I recall at least once or twice thinking the new strap was much stiffer. It’s very subjective, I suppose. I’ve also beaten the crap out of that watch over all those years. Now I pretty much only wear it when I’m camping or hiking or doing some project around the house because I don’t care if it gets more banged up. Still works great though, but I wouldn’t trust it underwater any more. I fairly recently got rid of the last of many Tropics and decided to put a NATO strap on it for the first time. I’m curious to see how its durability compares.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of Casio watch is it? I have two Casio dive watches, one is a MRW-200H-1BV and the other is the MRW-210H-1AVCF.

https://flic.kr/p/2phj8Gp

Styles Bitchley

#112 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:49 pm Thanks for the kind comments. I don't know the hot water/coffee mug trick, but I think I can guess: wrap the strap around a coffee mug, and pour hot water into it, and repeat several times... is that it?
Take the strap off and put it in the bottom of the mug. Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ5Q-BYZZCI
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#113 Post by Pahonu »

Raykv423 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:49 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:54 pm Very thorough review, thank you!

Just out of curiosity, what kind of Casio watch is it? I have two Casio dive watches, one is a MRW-200H-1BV and the other is the MRW-210H-1AVCF.

https://flic.kr/p/2phj8Gp
I don’t know off hand, but I posted a pic for Styles on one of these threads. I’m out of town currently, but can check after the holiday. It’s a metal case, not black plastic though.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#114 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I just received my watch yesterday. It looks great and I’ll be I’m really looking forward to getting it into the rotation. I ordered it with the black tropic and the jubilee. I’m currently wearing the tropic and it looks great. I also love the shirt that was shipped with it. Very soft material. Once I wash it I’ll be a mini Magnum

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by eagle »

Finally got my shirt washed and dried today, and boy is it soft! Fits great, and very comfortable. It's definitely going into the rotation!

Styles Bitchley

#116 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:21 pm I don’t know off hand, but I posted a pic for Styles on one of these threads. I’m out of town currently, but can check after the holiday. It’s a metal case, not black plastic though.
Here's Pahonu's Casio and Invicta Submariner homage. The Casio has a really bad ass well worn patina. I believe the model is an MD-502, which also came with a Pepsi bezel option!

- J.Q.H.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#117 Post by Nikita70 »

That Casio looks great. That would definitely be in my rotation.

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#118 Post by Raykv423 »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:34 am
Pahonu wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:21 pm I don’t know off hand, but I posted a pic for Styles on one of these threads. I’m out of town currently, but can check after the holiday. It’s a metal case, not black plastic though.
Here's Pahonu's Casio and Invicta Submariner homage. The Casio has a really bad ass well worn patina. I believe the model is an MD-502, which also came with a Pepsi bezel option!

Aye they look very cool. That Casio watch on the right honestly looks a bit like the Sea Quartz 30. I can imagine it’s a type of watch Selleck/Magnum would actually wear.

Styles Bitchley

#119 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nikita70 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:26 am That Casio looks great. That would definitely be in my rotation.
Looks like it originally came with a two-tone jubilee.

I think I'd throw it on one of the vintage rubber straps Uncle Seiko does. Maybe the GL831 or the Waffle.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#120 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks Styles! You know the models of my watches better than me. :shock: :lol:

It does have a heavy “patina” as you say. I just keep it as a beater watch now. I can’t believe it still keeps great time and I never cracked the crystal. It’s closing in on 35 years old. After badly cracking the crystal on another dive watch that I had, and the watch shop giving me a repair bill close to the price I had paid, I got the Invicta and started the swapping watches routine. I wear the Invicta to work and other nice places. The old Casio is out for the weekends working on my boat or the Westy or camping as I mentioned.

I remember buying the Casio at a watch store near college and it had the bracelet option and a plastic strap option. I didn’t have the money for the bracelet. After several years the plastic strap broke and I was recommended a Tropic by a fellow diver. This waslong before I joined this forum or learned that TM had used one, maybe the mid 80’s or so.

I also remember that I used to have the battery replaced at a shop along with the seal, just to keep it water tight. I gave that up long ago. After several Tropics, I tried the one you see in the photo, but it was a little too snug. I’m a very big guy, if you remember. Not long after that it photo I got the NATO strap, just in black. I keep things pretty simple most of the time.