Momentum Sea Quartz 30

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

Momentum Sea Quartz 30

#1 Post by perfectlykevin »

Greeted by this via email this morning. Over the moon to get a new one I can wear without fear. :)

https://momentumwatch.com/products/sea- ... 9024071904

Aloha Friday
Admiral

Re: New Sea Quartz!!

#2 Post by Aloha Friday »

That is cool...funny there was a thread about another "Chronosports" Sea Quartz watch recently. I wonder if the patent recently expired or something.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Holy crap. That is big news! Thanks for passing that news along. Looks very accurate other than the logo.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

usc1
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#4 Post by usc1 »

Thank you for the info. I just placed an order for one. I like the watch but not completely enamored with the design. But being a huge fan of the show was all it took.

So the pre-order is the original price for the watch in 1980 of $195. Reasonable now but in 1980 that is equivalent to $705 now! I did not realize the watch was expensive back then.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by eagle »

I need to talk to my, ahem, budget coordinator. This is a great price for a watch like this, and it would give me a "Chronosport" to wear as a daily watch. I mean, I wear my Chronosport like it's a daily watch, but I'm careful about what I do with it.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by Majordomo »

I just saw a reddit post about this and came straight over to see if had made to HQ. For the price, I have got to get one!
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by eagle »

I would absolutely love one, and my budget coordinator is onboard, but I just can't see buying another Chronosport type watch. The one I have is from eBay, and I paid $1050~ (including Tropic strap), and I wear it almost like a daily wear watch - I avoid water and working with tools while wearing it, but I wear it everywhere else. I wear my Steinhart everywhere (it is easily replaceable; the Chronosport is not).

I do wonder what pricing they'll use after today, since a quartz diver watch just isn't all that expensive. $200 is a reasonable price for a watch like that today.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by eagle »

Did anyone here buy one?

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by To The Regiment »

eagle wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:19 pm Did anyone here buy one?
Yes. I pulled the trigger last night. The first pre-order batch for $195 had already sold out, but they're doing a second pre-order batch for the same $195 price until January 18. The second batch is scheduled to arrive in May.

The same person/family that owned the Chronosport brand back in the day, now owns the Momentum brand. So the Momentum Sea Quartz 30, in my opinion, isn't so much of an homage watch as it is a reissue. Momentum by St. Moritz Watch Co. has been around a long time and is primarily sold...in dive shops. They make true diving watches.

The Momentum Sea Quartz 30 is built to original specs taken directly from some original Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 watches that they still have in their possession, with a few upgrades: better lumes, better crystal, etc.

Here's the GQ story about it: https://www.gq.com/story/momentum-sea-quartz-30-watch

Momentum site: https://momentumwatch.com/products/sea- ... 9024071904

Don't sleep on this one, guys. It's a rare opportunity to have an authentic Sea Quartz that you can actually wear daily and dive with. I think TM would approve.

Cheers!
To The Regiment

usc1
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by usc1 »

eagle wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:19 pm Did anyone here buy one?
for sure. I cannot afford the gmt but was able to dig up 195

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by To The Regiment »

Here's a post from Simon Pennell, the CEO of Momentum/St. Moritz Watch Corp., that details the new Momentum Sea Quartz and shares some insights about the original Chronosport Sea Quartz that his family developed:

https://momentumwatch.com/blogs/momentu ... -quartz-30

Cheers!
To The Regiment

Operation Silent Night
Ensign

#12 Post by Operation Silent Night »

I ordered one as well, just a few days ago. The GMT Master is out of reach for me (especially TM's reference), and the Chronosport was more accessibly priced but not very available on the used market. I'm thrilled!

It's made to the exact dimensions of the original, with identical look and several key components upgraded. The link below goes to the purchase page which also describes the historical connection between Chronosport and Momentum, as well as some of the design steps taken with the new watch.

If you count the intro, the old Chronosport appears in every MPI episode.

https://momentumwatch.com/collections/m ... 9024071904

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by eagle »

Yeah, I'd love to have a Pepsi Rolex GMT Master, but no way can I afford that. That's why I bought the Steinhart. I have a Chronosport (bought on eBay 1.5 years ago or so), but man I want one of these, so that I don't have to worry about the watch and can take it swimming. I predict I will own one of these within a year.

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by Philip Jennings »

Operation Silent Night wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:05 amIf you count the intro, the old Chronosport appears in every MPI episode.
Welcome aboard, O.S.N. :magnum:

I pre-ordered one as well and can't wait until it arrives. In the meantime I'm watching the Blu-ray set that was released last year and trying to notice any shots that show a good close-up view of the original.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Sam »

Hi Phillip
I don't know anything about the watch ..this from Home From The Sea.

https://magnum-mania.com/images/4_1_o_full.jpg