Momentum Sea Quartz 30

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

Re: Momentum Sea Quartz 30

#91 Post by Nikita70 »

I know there are quartz watches where the second hand does hit the markers dead on. I’m no watchmaker but I suspect it’s a QC problem. But at the price point it’s kind of hard to bitch about.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by 308GUY »

Mine hits precisely on each hash mark.....question for me is.....does it matter if you are not "synchronizing" watches with your partner/s? :shock: :geek: :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#93 Post by Nikita70 »

So 7 days on the wrist. Extremely comfortable. For the amount paid the dividends are incredible. I have some nice watches, Rolex GMT Master, Tudor S & G, Doxa, Seiko and a few more. I get just as much enjoyment out of this Momentum as the others. If you’ve been on the fence I say no more hesitation. As a Magnum fan you owe it to yourself 😉

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by eagle »

Thanks for the quick comments, Nikita. I am very much looking forward to mine. Still no ship notification... should be any day now.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#95 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nikita70 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:01 pm My watch arrived today. Very satisfied with one exception, seconds hand hits between the markers. Kind of expected this as many others have stated the same thing.
Love the quick change spring bars. Haven’t sized the bracelet yet which is what it came on but changed to the tropic strap I also ordered in a few seconds.
Probably the lightest weight watch I own.
At the price it would be hard to not have this watch for any MPI fan.
I love that you got one and it's great to have the positive feedback from someone with so much experience with really nice watches.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#96 Post by Nikita70 »

Thanks for the compliment. A watch doesn’t have to be expensive to be enjoyable. For the last five years or so I kept thinking about doing an homage myself. Obviously it takes money but I just knew that it would be a successful project. Momentum hit a home run with this one. I think they could have priced them at least $50 if not $100 more and still sold them like hotcakes. Deal of the year.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#97 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nikita70 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:27 am Thanks for the compliment. A watch doesn’t have to be expensive to be enjoyable. For the last five years or so I kept thinking about doing an homage myself. Obviously it takes money but I just knew that it would be a successful project. Momentum hit a home run with this one. I think they could have priced them at least $50 if not $100 more and still sold them like hotcakes. Deal of the year.
I agree. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars for a nice watch, and Momentum could have charged more for this watch. I am hoping I get a shipping notification any day now. I went with the black tropical and jubilee bracelet.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#98 Post by eagle »

I just got the black tropic strap with mine. It will be identical to my Chronosport.

Styles Bitchley

#99 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:05 pm I just got the black tropic strap with mine. It will be identical to my Chronosport.
I'm curious to know what you think of the quality of the tropic strap it ships with compared to the "Genuine Tropic Strap" you got for your Chronosport.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#100 Post by Nikita70 »

I learned to always buy the bracelet. This jubilee is very comfortable and looks great although once I get a longer Tropic strap it will probably be on that most of the time.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by eagle »

Yeah, I just have literally never liked Jubilee bracelets (don't like the way they look). Oyster only for me, if a bracelet. I also have some NATO-style straps that I like, and the Tropic Strap of course. I don't fault others who like them, I just don't like them.

Styles Bitchley

#102 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I actually like a jubilee, but only on certain watches. It makes no sense, but a watch with a Pepsi bezel seems to look nice to me on a jubilee. Rolex GMT Master and/or Seiko diver, for example. I also think the jubilee is perfect on Datejusts and the variety of copy cats. I was surprised to learn that you could actually request a jubilee when purchasing a Submariner in the 60s/70s and that it is actually considered acceptable even by vintage snobs.

- J.Q.H.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#103 Post by Nikita70 »

My gmt is on the usual oyster bracelet but I’d like to have a jubilee bracelet for it as well but just can’t part with the cash, genuine article is just too expensive. So now having a watch with a jubilee bracelet lessened my interest in getting one for my gmt, if that makes sense.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#104 Post by eagle »

Got my Momentum SQ30 yesterday, and ...

wow...

This is pretty awesome.

Some initial thoughts:

1- The genuine Tropic strap seems much nicer than this one. This tropic-style strap feels like hard rubber compared to the my name-brand Tropic strap, so I'll swap it out at some point for my name-brand one, and I'll probably buy a second name-brand one. The Momentum one has a quick-release on the bottom, something my name-brand Tropic strap does not have. That's a nice detail.
2- The inclusion of a shirt in the sale is another nice touch, and I look forward to wearing it. I did not try it on yet... wife is washing it today, and then I'll change shirts.
3- The Momentum SQ30 is nearly a perfect copy of the original.
4- The Momentum is a few mm shorter (from glass to back case), a welcome change. I have no complains about the size of the Chronosport, but it is definitely chunky on my 6.5" wrist. This one is still big (42mm is big on my small wrist), but I don't care. I like a lot of 42mm watches, and that size does not stop me from buying and enjoying them. I do not own anything larger than 42mm.
5- The crown is extremely smooth. I never had any complains about my Chronosport crown until today. This one makes my Chronosport's crown feel gritty.
6- The bezel is perfect: not too tight, not too loose. My Chronosport is too tight, probably because it's 40 years old.
7- It will be nice to have a SQ30 that I can use in the pool. I am a desk diver, but I do wear all of my dive watches while swimming at the pool, and sometimes at the beach. My Chronosport has never seen, and will never see, water. I don't trust a 40-year-old dive watch's depth rating!

I think this watch is beautiful, and I think this is an excellent purchase at this price point, for any watch/Magnum fan -- especially with the shirt, but I would have bought it at this price even without the shirt.

Now for what you've really been waiting for: the side-by-side pics. It is difficult to show the height side-by-side, but there is definitely a noticeable difference.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#105 Post by Nikita70 »

Awesome. I’ve worn mine a lot since I got it last month. On the jubilee because the included tropic is just a bit too short plus it seems one hoke it’s too loose, the next hole it’s too tight. Super comfortable, reminds me of my Rolex in terms of comfort. The price is a steal, IMO. I’ll eventually get a longer Tropic strap but really liking the jubilee. If they release another version such as the one with no numerals I’m a buyer.
Impressed with Momentum’s quality.