Lost in the 80s? Rescue needed?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

Lost in the 80s? Rescue needed?

#1 Post by Mark de Croix »

A funny thought came to me while blasting my classic music down the highway (R&B, rock, hip hop, club disco, etc., not necessarily in that order): Not only I have no interest in adding to my collection esp. recent hits) but this mirrors my TV viewing: my favs are three: MPI, Frasier, and Seinfeld. I'm perfectly content even though living in a time warp, and am so content I sometimes wonder about its ultimate effect. Probably I see the world as a tamer, more peaceful place than other moderns out there. I possibly might be more trusting. Hmm, there can a double-edged sword for anything. Should I continue in my bliss? Is there really anything worthwhile beyond the 80s (excepting blockbuster movies)? Are there people like me lost in a time warp?

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Lost in the 80s? Rescue needed?

#2 Post by eagle »

Mark de Croix wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:42 am A funny thought came to me while blasting my classic music down the highway (R&B, rock, hip hop, club disco, etc., not necessarily in that order): Not only I have no interest in adding to my collection esp. recent hits) but this mirrors my TV viewing: my favs are three: MPI, Frasier, and Seinfeld. I'm perfectly content even though living in a time warp, and am so content I sometimes wonder about its ultimate effect. Probably I see the world as a tamer, more peaceful place than other moderns out there. I possibly might be more trusting. Hmm, there can a double-edged sword for anything. Should I continue in my bliss? Is there really anything worthwhile beyond the 80s (excepting blockbuster movies)? Are there people like me lost in a time warp?
I think that times were objectively better in the 1980s, for practically everyone. In my mind, with the notable exception of the recent "Top Gun: Maverick" movie, nearly everything coming out of Hollywood today is unwatchable; contrast that to the 1980s, when we had so many excellent movies. Ditto music and television.

Sure, things weren't perfect, but they were objectively better.

That's why I like to be transported to better days, through Magnum and my Duran Duran feed on Pandora.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by T.Q. »

Mark de Croix wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:42 am A funny thought came to me while blasting my classic music down the highway (R&B, rock, hip hop, club disco, etc., not necessarily in that order): Not only I have no interest in adding to my collection esp. recent hits) but this mirrors my TV viewing: my favs are three: MPI, Frasier, and Seinfeld. I'm perfectly content even though living in a time warp, and am so content I sometimes wonder about its ultimate effect. Probably I see the world as a tamer, more peaceful place than other moderns out there. I possibly might be more trusting. Hmm, there can a double-edged sword for anything. Should I continue in my bliss? Is there really anything worthwhile beyond the 80s (excepting blockbuster movies)? Are there people like me lost in a time warp?
I'm stuck in the 80s and 90s.

Was way better in many regards.

Music is a big one. Are there even really any actual new Rock bands anymore? :x
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Cue Pahonu telling us that there's plenty of great stuff out there right now (movies, TV, music) and much more variety than ever before. You just need to look for it. :wink: In other words you gotta wade through all the junk out there. :lol:

Sorry Pahonu, couldn't resist. :wink:

But I agree. I have zero interest in what's out there today. I'm definitely lost in the 80s (and 60s, and 70s, etc.) and I'm in no need of rescue. :D Also agree on TOP GUN: MAVERICK. Exceptional film. A rare film made today that takes you back to a better place and time. And I was never even a fan of the original film. I had no interest in going to see this new one but after hearing all the gushing praise I had to go out and see what all the hoopla was really about. I mean from the opening bars of the Harold Faltermeyer theme I was really drawn in. But the film really knocked it out of the park!

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Mark de Croix »

@Ivan
>But I agree. I have zero interest in what's out there today. I'm definitely lost in the 80s (and 60s, >and 70s, etc.) and I'm in no need of rescue. :D
:D That's a great statement. I enjoyed it. I want to share something--a revelation--that kinda echoes Pahahu: After a broken marriage and being a dance king I found solace in clubs before covid. It had been quite awhile and also some time needed to adjust to recent tunes played. Eventually what struck me was really how good current music (hip hop) is. My conclusion was that any music, if connected with passion, is gonna be great. I tell ya before I hit the clubs and got immersed in the music, it all was noise to me. Nothing to match the classics. But then and now are quite the same if done through passion. I still believe though that a cover song can never match the real thing! :D

@T.Q.
I agree. Rock today seems an aimless wandering. Or maybe I haven't looked deep enough. Maybe too the internet paradoxically derails the super band. Looking (seriously) through the lyrics of classic rock, it's an amazing treasure trove of wisdom. Like on the order of Shakespeare. Really. People say one person couldn't have written all of Shakespeare or its depth was beyond that of the person, Shakespeare. Imagine all the rock lyrics came in many cases from very young people--yet the depth of knowing by them seems incredible.

@eagle
>That's why I like to be transported to better days, through Magnum and my Duran Duran feed >on Pandora.

That's really cool, eagle. Well said.