Thomas Magnum--wimps out?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

Re: Thomas Magnum--wimps out?

#46 Post by Mark de Croix »

This website, The Alamo or Last of the Mohicans? Being new, I've only seen a handful of people active here and its almost always the same ones.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Chris109 »

Mark de Croix wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:25 pm
T.Q. wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:08 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:40 am A bit vindictive aren’t we. Backlash to my calling out your racial slurs. Even if those of you who didn’t use racial slurs like Ivan, your silence aided and abetted his racism. [https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopi ... 99&p=74632] Like a bunch of good ole boy rednecks you join this pile up based on inability to handle critique, resorting to personal attack.

Interesting you say that. That's a perspective--Japanese national--I hadn't in mind. Let's take that a moment. A former enemy. Should we be concerned how we talk about them? Hmm, can't answer that, maybe, because it doesn't concern me.

What concerns me is if the target is Japanese American. Didn't they suffer enough during WWII--getting interned and many of them losing their homes and jobs and dignity? Many of them still suffer today when people misjudge them as a foreigner based solely on their appearance. If strangers were to say to you, "Say, you speak English good, how long you've been here?" Or, "Where ya from? ... No, I mean what country?" How would you feel? I'm sure not good. Racial slurs demean and push/keep people out. If you never had a friend other than those from your own ethnicity, you might not care. But I have and so ... Anyway thanks for your post for presenting that different perspective.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mark de Croix wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:25 pm If strangers were to say to you, "Say, you speak English good, how long you've been here?" Or, "Where ya from? ... No, I mean what country?" How would you feel? I'm sure not good. Racial slurs demean and push/keep people out.
:lol: Is this even a serious question? Being asked what country you're from is demeaning and a "racial slur"?

You're really trying, aren't you?

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Mark de Croix »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:28 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:25 pm If strangers were to say to you, "Say, you speak English good, how long you've been here?" Or, "Where ya from? ... No, I mean what country?" How would you feel? I'm sure not good. Racial slurs demean and push/keep people out.
:lol: Is this even a serious question? Being asked what country you're from is demeaning and a "racial slur"?

You're really trying, aren't you?
I never said the question by itself is offensive. But if you ask the question to an American simply because he looks Asian and therefore to you a foreigner--then of course its offensive. You treat people solely by their facial look, putting them into racial categories arranged in a hierarchy (meaning certain races are more superior to others.) If what I said is true about you, then, sir, you are a bona fide (real or genuine) racist.

Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mark de Croix wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:03 am But if you ask the question to an American simply because he looks Asian and therefore to you a foreigner--then of course its offensive.
Oh is that a fact? I must have missed the memo on this one. Like it or not, people of a certain look, sound, or behavior might be asked where they are from. If they find this offensive then I think it's more of a personal problem on their end. I'm not sure if I look Ukrainian (I think I just look like a white Caucasian) and I don't think I have an accent when I speak (most people tell me I don't), yet I've been asked dozens of times what country I'm from or whether or not I was born in the U.S. Guess what? Never once did I feel insulted or offended. In fact I'm quite proud of being born in another country and being fluent in another language. But if I was born in the U.S. I still wouldn't find it offensive in the least. Why should I be?? Because someone chooses to ask me something based on how I look or talk or walk or eat or whatever? So what???? Who cares??? Don't we all paint mental pictures of people when we look at them?

Sorry pal, but you don't get a free pass to just label someone a racist because of your narrow-mindedness. Get a life.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Mark de Croix »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:50 am
Mark de Croix wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:03 am But if you ask the question to an American simply because he looks Asian and therefore to you a foreigner--then of course its offensive.
Oh is that a fact? I must have missed the memo on this one. Like it or not, people of a certain look, sound, or behavior might be asked where they are from. If they find this offensive then I think it's more of a personal problem on their end. I'm not sure if I look Ukrainian (I think I just look like a white Caucasian) and I don't think I have an accent when I speak (most people tell me I don't), yet I've been asked dozens of times what country I'm from or whether or not I was born in the U.S. Guess what? Never once did I feel insulted or offended. In fact I'm quite proud of being born in another country and being fluent in another language. But if I was born in the U.S. I still wouldn't find it offensive in the least. Why should I be?? Because someone chooses to ask me something based on how I look or talk or walk or eat or whatever? So what???? Who cares??? Don't we all paint mental pictures of people when we look at them?

Sorry pal, but you don't get a free pass to just label someone a racist because of your narrow-mindedness. Get a life.
I never labeled you anything. You misconstrued what I earlier had said about Asian Americans being misidentified as foreigners. So I clarified it for you. Then I said IF THE SCENARIO FIT YOU, then indeed you would be racist. Nothing about that is labeling you.

Second you twisted the scenario around such that it removes the reality of racism against Asians in the US. You cast it as purely European/Euro American. Actually someone non-native in the language because some Americans perceive you as a foreigner. So what if you are never offended when people ask you what country you are from. So what! YOU ARE OF EURO EXTRACTION and therefore usually not a target of racism in comparison with people of color.

Because you are neither a native English speaker nor native to the USA (by your own admission) means that you ought to be more careful before running your mouth. You apparently are uneducated about these matters as well as showing deficiency in reading skill among other attributes.

But you managed to pick up some useful expressions, "Sorry, pal" ... "Get a life." You learned it from mixing it up with Americans? Maybe your life in the USA has not been so good for you? I am sorry for you. Your postings here sometimes seemed lonely, for which I offered to help. I know living abroad can be difficult. Don't let the setbacks make you miserable.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by T.Q. »

I had a long response to Mark Le Croix about this typed out but then... Bloop... Deleted it.

Not worth it. Won't get anywhere. I must be getting wise in my old age.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#53 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:40 pm

I had a long response to Mark Le Croix about this typed out but then... Bloop... Deleted it.

Not worth it. Won't get anywhere. I must be getting wise in my old age.
I warned you it would be a waste of time. :D
It took me being misquoted two times, before I learned my lesson. Now, let’s see how long it takes Ivan… :roll:

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Chris109 »

Ok, that's enuf.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Mark de Croix »

Signs of the local Red Neck Colony has come out in force. I've never faced racial hatred as much as this. I've been all over the world, meeting and living with all kinds and races of people, but given the very short time with you and the very limited spurts of messages, I cannot recall the sheer amount of ignorance displayed by the bunch of you.

It is quite remarkable like what the 19th century anthropologist felt first encountering a primitive world. Your loincloths and spears are quite evident. Maybe I guess you feel within anonymity behind your avatars that you can freely traffic the use of racial slurs. It's not right and reduces the humanity of yours and others. Please reflect how a kinder, gentler you might just make you happier. Watch how Thomas Magnum does it and learn. Please, racism is evil and will eat your souls.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by T.Q. »

Mark de Croix wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:12 am Signs of the local Red Neck Colony has come out in force. I've never faced racial hatred as much as this. I've been all over the world, meeting and living with all kinds and races of people, but given the very short time with you and the very limited spurts of messages, I cannot recall the sheer amount of ignorance displayed by the bunch of you.

It is quite remarkable like what the 19th century anthropologist felt first encountering a primitive world. Your loincloths and spears are quite evident. Maybe I guess you feel within anonymity behind your avatars that you can freely traffic the use of racial slurs. It's not right and reduces the humanity of yours and others. Please reflect how a kinder, gentler you might just make you happier. Watch how Thomas Magnum does it and learn. Please, racism is evil and will eat your souls.
Honestly Mark. No one even knows (or cares) what you’re talking about.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#57 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:26 am
Mark de Croix wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:12 am Signs of the local Red Neck Colony has come out in force. I've never faced racial hatred as much as this. I've been all over the world, meeting and living with all kinds and races of people, but given the very short time with you and the very limited spurts of messages, I cannot recall the sheer amount of ignorance displayed by the bunch of you.

It’s fascinating how someone who accuses a Ukrainian-American immigrant, a Canadian expatriate, and a member of a biracial African-American/Caucasian family as racist, yet then proceeds to use the pejorative “redneck” to incorrectly describe us. I don’t believe any of us are rural Southerners, yet we have been stereotyped as such with hateful language. The hypocrisy would be absolutely laughable if it wasn’t so sad! :roll:

Edit:

TQ, if I misrepresented you as a Canadian expatriate, and Ivan, if I misrepresented you as a Ukrainian-American immigrant, I apologize. I am certainly part of a biracial African-American/Caucasian family and am NOT a “redneck” as I have once again been misrepresented as. I was far too nice in the above post with the loincloth and spear comment. I think only one poster here is hiding behind the anonymity of their avatar.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:59 am It’s fascinating how someone who accuses a Ukrainian-American immigrant, a Canadian expatriate, and a member of a biracial African-American/Caucasian family as racist, yet then proceeds to use the pejorative “redneck” to incorrectly describe us. I don’t believe any of us are rural Southerners, yet we have been stereotyped as such with hateful language. The hypocrisy would be absolutely laughable if it wasn’t so sad! :roll:

Edit:

TQ, if I misrepresented you as a Canadian expatriate, and Ivan, if I misrepresented you as a Ukrainian-American immigrant, I apologize. I am certainly part of a biracial African-American/Caucasian family and am NOT a “redneck” as I have once again been misrepresented as. I was far too nice in the above post with the loincloth and spear comment. I think only one poster here is hiding behind the anonymity of their avatar.
It’s quite tiring but sadly just the way it is these days.

I’ve been told before I’m responsible for US slavery. Why? Just because of my skin colour.

Polish/Ukrainian Canadian immigrant who lives in the Bahamas… Owes black Americans an apology and reparations somehow. :shock:

World’s gone crazy with this race and identity politics stuff. Not to mention that you can’t joke about our differences anymore which actually used to be something that made us all closer (for the GenX generation at least).

Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:26 am

Hush, T.Q. Maybe it will just go away. :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:59 am TQ, if I misrepresented you as a Canadian expatriate, and Ivan, if I misrepresented you as a Ukrainian-American immigrant, I apologize. I am certainly part of a biracial African-American/Caucasian family and am NOT a “redneck” as I have once again been misrepresented as. I was far too nice in the above post with the loincloth and spear comment. I think only one poster here is hiding behind the anonymity of their avatar.
A Slavic redneck, eh? Well, that's a first! :shock: :lol: