Thomas Magnum--wimps out?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Thomas Magnum--wimps out?

#31 Post by T.Q. »

Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:40 am A bit vindictive aren’t we. Backlash to my calling out your racial slurs. Even if those of you who didn’t use racial slurs like Ivan, your silence aided and abetted his racism. [https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopi ... 99&p=74632] Like a bunch of good ole boy rednecks you join this pile up based on inability to handle critique, resorting to personal attack.

Critique requires we separate ideas from the people who hold them and mutually allow for ideas to be challenged. Being overly sensitive can lead to personal attack, which stifles free exchange of ideas. Perhaps you are ill-equipped to do critique and better fit for small talk rather than discussion.

Regardless, this website being a public forum, it was right of me to challenge racist language. Evidence appears to show a relationship between racism and low intelligence (https://www.psychologicalscience.org/ne ... idity.html). If not for common courtesy, then at least curb your racism in an attempt to boost your intelligence—and perhaps even improve your handling of critique.
The Japanese did attack Pearl Harbor though. :P
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:08 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:40 am A bit vindictive aren’t we. Backlash to my calling out your racial slurs. Even if those of you who didn’t use racial slurs like Ivan, your silence aided and abetted his racism. [https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopi ... 99&p=74632] Like a bunch of good ole boy rednecks you join this pile up based on inability to handle critique, resorting to personal attack.

Critique requires we separate ideas from the people who hold them and mutually allow for ideas to be challenged. Being overly sensitive can lead to personal attack, which stifles free exchange of ideas. Perhaps you are ill-equipped to do critique and better fit for small talk rather than discussion.

Regardless, this website being a public forum, it was right of me to challenge racist language. Evidence appears to show a relationship between racism and low intelligence (https://www.psychologicalscience.org/ne ... idity.html). If not for common courtesy, then at least curb your racism in an attempt to boost your intelligence—and perhaps even improve your handling of critique.
Knock it off with the racial slurs and try to boost your intelligence, T.Q. It was the Kingdom of the Japanese that attacked Pearl. Sheesh... :roll: :P

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:25 pm

Knock it off with the racial slurs and try to boost your intelligence, T.Q. It was the Kingdom of the Japanese that attacked Pearl. Sheesh... :roll: :P
:lol:

People see/hear/read what they wanna see/hear/read.

Canadians stormed the beaches of Normandy... Or was it the Nation of Canada.

It's all semantics. Not everyone has some deep hidden racial or bigoted agenda behind everything and it's crazy to look for it.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:38 pm

It's all semantics. Not everyone has some deep hidden racial or bigoted agenda behind everything and it's crazy to look for it.
I guess since storming the beaches of Normandy is a good thing then you can say Canada or Canadians or Habs or Canucks or whatever. But the attack on Pearl was not so bueno so gotta be careful how you phrase things. PC nonsense. :roll:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#35 Post by Pahonu »

Empire, Ivan, Empire of Japan. :wink:
It all makes little difference of course, the semantics of it. Emperor Hirohito was far less involved in the foreign policy decisions leading to war with the US than military leaders such as Tojo, Sugiyama, and Nagano.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:53 pm

I guess since storming the beaches of Normandy is a good thing then you can say Canada or Canadians or Habs or Canucks or whatever. But the attack on Pearl was not so bueno so gotta be careful how you phrase things. PC nonsense. :roll:
Yeah it’s silly.

Bottom line is I like the Japs.

Japanese culture/traditions are cool. Art. Food. Their influence on Hawaii is neat. I have a few Japanese friends.

People gotta stop not-picking over every “wrong” word or expression and accusing everyone of being horrible people. It’s jumped the shark.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:10 am

Yeah it’s silly.

Japanese culture/traditions are cool. Art. Food. Their influence on Hawaii is neat. I have a few Japanese friends.

People gotta stop not-picking over every “wrong” word or expression and accusing everyone of being horrible people. It’s jumped the shark.
This thread has jumped the shark. My head hurts trying to follow it's convoluted path. And what was with that light blue lettering on the previous page? I almost went blind trying to read it,
reminds me of when I scored my first Playboy.

Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Yeah it’s silly.

Yep and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE is one of my favorite Bond films, and the Japanese locale is a big reason why. But I still gotta stop being racist somehow. :)

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Chris109 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:06 am

I thought it was Germany.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Mark de Croix »

Interesting you say that. That's a perspective--Japanese national--I hadn't in mind. Let's take that a moment. A former enemy. Should we be concerned how we talk about them? Hmm, can't answer that, maybe, because it doesn't concern me.

What concerns me is if the target is Japanese American. Didn't they suffer enough during WWII--getting interned and many of them losing their homes and jobs and dignity? Many of them still suffer today when people misjudge them as a foreigner based solely on their appearance. If strangers were to say to you, "Say, you speak English good, how long you've been here?" Or, "Where ya from? ... No, I mean what country?" How would you feel? I'm sure not good. Racial slurs demean and push/keep people out. If you never had a friend other than those from your own ethnicity, you might not care. But I have and so ... Anyway thanks for your post for presenting that different perspective.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Mark de Croix »

That's not smart of you. Disappointing.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Mark de Croix »

So true, TQ. We would go crazy going to that extent. On the other hand if we learn more about our own unconscious motivations, we probably will end up happier or better functioning people.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Mark de Croix »

Yeah it’s silly.

I don't believe you.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Mark de Croix »

Yeah it’s silly.

Yep and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE is one of my favorite Bond films, and the Japanese locale is a big reason why. But I still gotta stop being racist somehow. :)
You're really trying. Thank you for that.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Mark de Croix »

Chris109 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:29 pm

I thought it was Germany.

You have a knack for these graphics.