How many times have you watched the series?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Just what the subject says: How many times have you watched the series?

0 -- I'm in my first pass
6%
6%
13%
13%
6%
6%
More than 5
50%

Total votes: 16

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: How many times have you watched the series?

#16 Post by Pahonu »

Chris109 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:53 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:49 pm
eagle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:13 pm I need to look to see if Rockford is in syndication, and start recording it if it is. I got the entire CHiPs, Emergency!, and a few other series by running my TiVo for a few months. I then download off the TiVo, and I now have a few entire series.

Anyway, like you, Pahonu, I have watched "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" many, many times -- it is my favorite episode, and I'll watch that even if I don't watch anything else.

I was too young for Rockford's original run, but I saw a few episodes and didn't particularly like it as child. I remember watching a lot of Rockford while at university, and really enjoying it. I particularly liked that every single intro message was different on the answering machine.
Rockford is currently on CoziTV. :D

I watched all of Cannon, Police Story, and Barnaby Jones by DVRing them, though I didn’t make copies. I tried Mannix twice but couldn’t get into it. I know I did the same with some others that I’m not remembering.
I thought it was on Get tv.

I watched some of Barnaby early episodes. But lost interest when Mark Shera showed up. I seem to recall that he was always whining about something. I could be wrong, it's been a long time.
Maybe it’s on both! I have a couple of recent episodes in the DVR right now and they say Cozi in the corner of the screen.

Pahonu

#17 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:40 pm
eagle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:13 pm I got the entire CHiPs, Emergency!, and a few other series by running my TiVo for a few months.
I tried CHiPS but couldn't really get into it. Too cheesy I guess. It's that late 70s cheese factor. Love the theme song though!

As for EMERGENCY! that's an even bigger puzzler for me. Apparently it has quite the fanbase. I just don't get it. I remember reruns of it from like 15-20 years ago. I maybe saw 10 or 15 minutes here or there or had it on in the background while doing something else but it's definitely not something that I would invest an hour into to just sit down and pay attention to what was going on. It always came across as something that little boys who want to grow up to be firemen might find interesting. Putting out a fire, breaking down a door, rescuing a cat from a tree, etc. But I just couldn't see an adult watching this show or taking any of it seriously. Mind you, I was only around 20 when this thing was on in reruns and I found myself too old for this LOL. :lol: And then there was the hospital side of it where they would perform EKG's or whatever other medical procedures were required. My guess is that was geared for the young girls or boys who wanted to grow up to be nurses or doctors? :) Anyhoo, I just found the whole premise of that show kinda silly and then when I came across so many fans who said this was one of their favorite shows growing up and that they owned every season on DVD I was like... :shock: Surely there were dozens of shows in the 70s that kids found more fascinating. Aside from sitcoms, I'm thinking something like The Six Million Dollar Man. Or even CHiPs. Dukes of Hazzard, of course. But who knows? Maybe it was all about those firetrucks. I know my little boy is crazy about them and gets super excited when one passes by with its sirens blaring! :D

So maybe I answered my own question??? :lol:
I liked both as a kid and I saw episodes in both primetime and syndication. I haven’t really given either of them a viewing since, so I don’t know what I would think. I know I also liked The A-Team and Knight Rider as a little older kid and also in rerun. I DID try to rewatch them a few years back and wasn’t a fan.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#18 Post by 80s Big Hair »

My vote was three as I have seen the entire show two times, but with syndication I have probably seen it three times total. When it was first run I was a child and had child stuff to do, plus my family had one TV for most of the seasons and my sister was in charge of that for unfair reasons. As a rule I do not like repeatedly seeing the same thing over and over again. When it is mostly out of mind I will give it another go. If it was in syndication on an easy for me to get station I would be half watching it while doing other things like working or reading a book. That is what I did when it was on Hallmark Channel which edited the shows.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by eagle »

eagle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:13 pm I was too young for Rockford's original run, but I saw a few episodes and didn't particularly like it as child. I remember watching a lot of Rockford while at university, and really enjoying it. I particularly liked that every single intro message was different on the answering machine.
Thanks -- I added a OnePass for Rockford Files, and I'll start downloading it. In a year or two, I should have all of the series.

I use cTiVo to download the episodes, and I wrote some wrapper scripts to confirm proper recording (based on video length only), then it names the files correctly and drops them in the correct directories for Plex to consume them. So now I have a nice Plex collection based on recorded TV shows. It's pretty cool.

Doing this, I have entire series (or nearly so) of The Andy Griffith Show, The Brady Bunch, Castle, Charlie's Angels, CHiPs, Emergency!, Gilligan's Island, The Jetsons, Law & Order (but I delete those after watching), Leave It To Beaver, Leverage, Little House on the Prairie, Mad About You. Currently working on Wonder Woman, and now I'll start Rockford Files.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Chris109 »

eagle wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:23 pm
eagle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:13 pm I was too young for Rockford's original run, but I saw a few episodes and didn't particularly like it as child. I remember watching a lot of Rockford while at university, and really enjoying it. I particularly liked that every single intro message was different on the answering machine.
Thanks -- I added a OnePass for Rockford Files, and I'll start downloading it. In a year or two, I should have all of the series.

I use cTiVo to download the episodes, and I wrote some wrapper scripts to confirm proper recording (based on video length only), then it names the files correctly and drops them in the correct directories for Plex to consume them. So now I have a nice Plex collection based on recorded TV shows. It's pretty cool.

Doing this, I have entire series (or nearly so) of The Andy Griffith Show, The Brady Bunch, Castle, Charlie's Angels, CHiPs, Emergency!, Gilligan's Island, The Jetsons, Law & Order (but I delete those after watching), Leave It To Beaver, Leverage, Little House on the Prairie, Mad About You. Currently working on Wonder Woman, and now I'll start Rockford Files.
Currently working on Wonder Woman? Good for you. Send her over when you're done. :lol:

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Chris109 »

eagle wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:23 pm

Doing this, I have entire series (or nearly so) of The Andy Griffith Show, The Brady Bunch, Castle, Charlie's Angels, CHiPs, Emergency!,
Gilligan's Island, The Jetsons, Law & Order (but I delete those after watching), Leave It To Beaver, Leverage, Little House on the Prairie, Mad About You. Currently working on Wonder Woman, and now I'll start Rockford Files.
Gilligan's Island?

MikeS
Admiral

#22 Post by MikeS »

I think I've watched from start to finish about 2 times.

IIRC my first post at MM was when a network whose name escapes me and has long ago been removed from DirecTV played MPI from start to finish 2 or 3 times. I really enjoyed the 3 or 4 eps a day, good memory.
MikeS

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

As for EMERGENCY! that's an even bigger puzzler for me. Apparently it has quite the fanbase. I just don't get it.
EMERGENCY! pretty much was Jack Webb's propaganda in support of the Wedworth-Townsend Paramedic Act in California. LA was one of the first places in the country to allow ambulance crews and fireman to do more than just first aid and show boosted support for similar acts in other states. I like the firemen parts of the show, but the hospital stuff is dull and ugly looking. I also assume most of the fanbase now are current and retired fireman. My favorite Jack Webb series is Adam-12.

Back to Magnum, I think I've seen it all the way thru 3 times, but I've seen some episodes more than that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by eagle »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:42 pm
As for EMERGENCY! that's an even bigger puzzler for me. Apparently it has quite the fanbase. I just don't get it.
EMERGENCY! pretty much was Jack Webb's propaganda in support of the Wedworth-Townsend Paramedic Act in California. LA was one of the first places in the country to allow ambulance crews and fireman to do more than just first aid and show boosted support for similar acts in other states. I like the firemen parts of the show, but the hospital stuff is dull and ugly looking. I also assume most of the fanbase now are current and retired fireman. My favorite Jack Webb series is Adam-12.

Back to Magnum, I think I've seen it all the way thru 3 times, but I've seen some episodes more than that.
I only watched the show for Dixie McCall.

Wait, did I actually type that? lol

And yes, it was propaganda for the paramedic act, something I think has had a tremendous positive effect for the country.

Pahonu

#25 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:52 pm

And yes, it was propaganda for the paramedic act, something I think has had a tremendous positive effect for the country.
I’m glad you are both aware of the paramedic act and describing it here. Most people have no idea and just assume it’s always been like it is (which is all too common for many things, sadly). I wrote a paper for a health class in college about the Wedworth-Townsend Act. The part I remember most was learning that in the late 60’s, medical research began to reveal that soldiers who were seriously wounded on the battlefields of Vietnam had a better survival rate than individuals who were seriously injured in motor vehicle accidents on California freeways! Many of the earliest paramedics were, in fact, Vietnam medics. The pilot episode of Emergency was named for the act.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I’m glad you are both aware of the paramedic act and describing it here.
I mostly know about it from the show. In watching old TV you'll see ambulances were basically hearses painted white before paramedics became a thing. It's a little creepy. :shock:

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Chris109 »

eagle wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:52 pm

Does anyone remember the one scene in the ER when a girl went into cardiac arrest and Dr. Brackett ripped open her shirt and actual titties were aplenty?

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by eagle »

Chris109 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:57 pm Does anyone remember the one scene in the ER when a girl went into cardiac arrest and Dr. Brackett ripped open her shirt and actual titties were aplenty?
lol, nope. I'm 100% certain this one would not be in syndication.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Chris109 »

eagle wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:07 pm
Chris109 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:57 pm Does anyone remember the one scene in the ER when a girl went into cardiac arrest and Dr. Brackett ripped open her shirt and actual titties were aplenty?
lol, nope. I'm 100% certain this one would not be in syndication.
Maybe one of these days I'll sit thru the series to find them. :shock:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0068067/parentalguide/nudity

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Mark de Croix »

eagle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:00 pm Just what the subject says: How many times have you watched the series?

Really interesting thread, @eagle, and I thank you for it. (BTW, you might adjust the question to "complete series.") For one thing, it seems such a really basic question yet maybe has taken all these years of MM.com for it to be asked?! For another it's inspirational :); by that I mean your survey already shows that many people repeatedly enjoy watching the entire series ever times more.

I did see it sporadically years ago on TV, but just recently am able to see all or any of them. I am continually impressed about its staying power. Because I have the rare pleasure of going through the series for the first time, it is nice to know there's no end in sight. The shows can be repeatedly enjoyed. Any takers for getting into the Guinness Book? One of you guys could probably do it.