How many times have you watched the series?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Just what the subject says: How many times have you watched the series?

0 -- I'm in my first pass
6%
6%
13%
13%
6%
6%
More than 5
50%

Total votes: 16

eagle
Fleet Admiral

How many times have you watched the series?

#1 Post by eagle »

Just what the subject says: How many times have you watched the series?

I'm probably on my 4th or 5th pass. In my mind, this is the all-time best TV series.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: How many times have you watched the series?

#2 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:00 pm Just what the subject says: How many times have you watched the series?

I'm probably on my 4th or 5th pass. In my mind, this is the all-time best TV series.
I'm probably 8 - 10 times.

I rewatched every 5 years or so my whole life.

Watched back-to-back (3 episodes a week) around 2011 when I lost 70 lbs. I got used to being on the stationary bike for an episode so did it twice.

Binged with my daughter before she left the nest in 2015.

Then watched back-to-back 3 years ago when I did my 4th wall video compilation for YouTube.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

I’m not quite sure how accurate my more than five response is. I’ve never watched the whole series on DVD or streaming from start to finish ever :shock:, BUT… I watched it originally in the 80’s, surely missing several, and then in syndication still in the 80’s. I’d guess I’ve seen some favorite episodes perhaps 15+ times over 40 years and less favorite episodes at least 5+. I would estimate I’ve watched the pilot over 20 times, easy.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by eagle »

Yeah, I honestly thought of changing the answers to:
0 (in my first pass)
1-5
6-10
10-15
More than that

I wonder if I can still edit the poll.

Honestly I don't know how accurate my "4" answer is. I've probably seen all of the episodes 5 or more times, but I'm really not sure.

And, I'm only really counting the times I've watched it since I got the DVD set and watched the series from start to finish. I watched episodes here & there before that -- a few of them during the original run, then many in syndication over the years, but I never saw the entire series until I got the DVD set. Since then, I have seen it several times, and I will do what TQ has been doing -- I will watch the entire series for the rest of my life. In my mind, this is the all-time best TV series, no fooling.

Pahonu

#5 Post by Pahonu »

Back in the 80’s when it was syndicated, but still airing new episodes (so maybe ‘85 or ‘86 when I was in high school), I would make a point to check the TV Guide each week for episode descriptions. If I wouldn’t be home to watch (I remember it was on at 6:00 on local LA independent station KTLA), I would set the VCR to tape it, which was a pain compared to DVRing today. That’s how I made sure I would see them all! There was no list of episodes to consult online. In fact, I still clearly remember the last new episode I saw, Round and Round, the TC-centric one. I had missed it in prime time and set the VCR for the rerun, but somehow it didn’t record properly. I recall thinking it was going to take many months before it would come around again because stations just didn’t show multiple episodes in a row like today. Five a week times 100+ episodes took a while! Times were very different then!!! :D

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by eagle »

Yes, very different! Kids today don't know how good they have it. I keep telling my kids that they need to share the big screen, and if they don't like what a sibling is watching, that's too bad. "Back when mom & dad were kids, there were only 3 channels, and we had to watch whatever was on." :geek:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:47 pm I’d guess I’ve seen some favorite episodes perhaps 15+ times over 40 years and less favorite episodes at least 5+. I would estimate I’ve watched the pilot over 20 times, easy.
Wow! 20 times?? :shock: Does that mean you've seen certain HARRY-O and ROCKFORD episodes even more times than that??? Since they're your 2 favorite shows of all time.

Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:46 pm I recall thinking it was going to take many months before it would come around again because stations just didn’t show multiple episodes in a row like today. Five a week times 100+ episodes took a while! Times were very different then!!! :D
Yep, these days they're showing like 3 MPI's in a row on the ChargeTV channel. You can blow through a series really fast like that. Back in the day it was just 1 episode a day, Monday-Friday. Same with FIVE-O and that's a 12-season show. :shock:

Pahonu

#9 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:23 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:47 pm I’d guess I’ve seen some favorite episodes perhaps 15+ times over 40 years and less favorite episodes at least 5+. I would estimate I’ve watched the pilot over 20 times, easy.
Wow! 20 times?? :shock: Does that mean you've seen certain HARRY-O and ROCKFORD episodes even more times than that??? Since they're your 2 favorite shows of all time.
Harry-O wasn’t syndicated very much at all. I saw the first pilot in high school then a handful of episodes on cable in the early 2000’s. Since I got the DVD’s several years ago I’ve seen all of them at least 3-4 times and favorites many more. I bet I’ve seen that first pilot 10 times having recorded it on VHS in the 80’s and then the DVD viewings.

Rockford started before I was old enough to watch though I did see some of the final season or so at about 8 or 9 because my mother watched it. It was then syndicated late night and I didn’t see many. In college I caught some but didn’t see them all until after that.

Since I’ve had all the series on DVD I’ve definitely watched the most Rockford that way and also on cable most frequently. I still DVR favorites to watch randomly. I’m now doing that with Harry-O. I do it sometimes for Magnum, but not so much any more.

Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:09 am
Harry-O wasn’t syndicated very much at all. I saw the first pilot in high school then a handful of episodes on cable in the early 2000’s. Since I got the DVD’s several years ago I’ve seen all of them at least 3-4 times and favorites many more. I bet I’ve seen that first pilot 10 times having recorded it on VHS in the 80’s and then the DVD viewings.

Rockford started before I was old enough to watch though I did see some of the final season or so at about 8 or 9 because my mother watched it. It was then syndicated late night and I didn’t see many. In college I caught some but didn’t see them all until after that.

Since I’ve had all the series on DVD I’ve definitely watched the most Rockford that way and also on cable most frequently. I still DVR favorites to watch randomly. I’m now doing that with Harry-O. I do it sometimes for Magnum, but not so much any more.
Gotcha.

I'm trying to think if there's any episode of KNIGHT RIDER or HAWAII FIVE-O (2 shows that I've probably seen the most of over the years) that I've seen 10 or more times. 10 times seems like a really high number to be rewatching something again and again. Even some of my favorite Bond films that I've seen many times over I'm trying to think if I've seen any of them more than 10 times. Keep in mind that there was a time when I was completely obsessed with everything James Bond and would watch and rewatch these films at least once every year. But still... did I see some of them at least 10 times? :? Hard to tell. I know with KNIGHT RIDER and FIVE-O I've seen most of those episodes more than once (some more than twice or thrice) since I got them on DVD and then I'd seen them in reruns over the years prior to when the DVDs started coming out. But still I can't imagine that I saw any of them as many as 10 times.

Pahonu

#11 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:26 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:09 am

Gotcha.

I'm trying to think if there's any episode of KNIGHT RIDER or HAWAII FIVE-O (2 shows that I've probably seen the most of over the years) that I've seen 10 or more times. 10 times seems like a really high number to be rewatching something again and again. Even some of my favorite Bond films that I've seen many times over I'm trying to think if I've seen any of them more than 10 times. Keep in mind that there was a time when I was completely obsessed with everything James Bond and would watch and rewatch these films at least once every year. But still... did I see some of them at least 10 times? :? Hard to tell. I know with KNIGHT RIDER and FIVE-O I've seen most of those episodes more than once (some more than twice or thrice) since I got them on DVD and then I'd seen them in reruns over the years prior to when the DVDs started coming out. But still I can't imagine that I saw any of them as many as 10 times.
As I was thinking about it, I considered that with Magnum and Rockford it has been over a forty year period. If I saw some episodes even once every four years that would be ten times! I know there were periods where I watched each show more frequently than at other times, but I can say with confidence that I’ve seen many episodes 10 times. Don’t Eat the Snow in Hawaii is probably the exception. I remember having it recorded on VHS in the 80’s and watching it multiple times a month in high school. It was just one of those shows I liked to see. I also watched the Airwolf pilot many times and the Miami Vice pilot as well. All were outstanding pilots. I can’t really say that about Rockford’s pilot, though I like the series more. When I recorded the first Harry-O pilot on VHS in the late 80’s, I watched it multiple times as well. If this sounds obsessive, I would remind today’s viewers that there were so many fewer choices back then on television. I would have rewatched many episodes of the aforementioned series ahead of other shows of the time like The Golden Girls and others of the type.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by eagle »

I need to look to see if Rockford is in syndication, and start recording it if it is. I got the entire CHiPs, Emergency!, and a few other series by running my TiVo for a few months. I then download off the TiVo, and I now have a few entire series.

Anyway, like you, Pahonu, I have watched "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" many, many times -- it is my favorite episode, and I'll watch that even if I don't watch anything else.

I was too young for Rockford's original run, but I saw a few episodes and didn't particularly like it as child. I remember watching a lot of Rockford while at university, and really enjoying it. I particularly liked that every single intro message was different on the answering machine.

Pahonu

#13 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:13 pm I need to look to see if Rockford is in syndication, and start recording it if it is. I got the entire CHiPs, Emergency!, and a few other series by running my TiVo for a few months. I then download off the TiVo, and I now have a few entire series.

Anyway, like you, Pahonu, I have watched "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" many, many times -- it is my favorite episode, and I'll watch that even if I don't watch anything else.

I was too young for Rockford's original run, but I saw a few episodes and didn't particularly like it as child. I remember watching a lot of Rockford while at university, and really enjoying it. I particularly liked that every single intro message was different on the answering machine.
Rockford is currently on CoziTV. :D

I watched all of Cannon, Police Story, and Barnaby Jones by DVRing them, though I didn’t make copies. I tried Mannix twice but couldn’t get into it. I know I did the same with some others that I’m not remembering.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Chris109 »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:49 pm
eagle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:13 pm I need to look to see if Rockford is in syndication, and start recording it if it is. I got the entire CHiPs, Emergency!, and a few other series by running my TiVo for a few months. I then download off the TiVo, and I now have a few entire series.

Rockford is currently on CoziTV. :D

I watched all of Cannon, Police Story, and Barnaby Jones by DVRing them, though I didn’t make copies. I tried Mannix twice but couldn’t get into it. I know I did the same with some others that I’m not remembering.
I thought it was on Get tv.

I watched some of Barnaby early episodes. But lost interest when Mark Shera showed up. I seem to recall that he was always whining about something. I could be wrong, it's been a long time.

Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

eagle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:13 pm I got the entire CHiPs, Emergency!, and a few other series by running my TiVo for a few months.
I tried CHiPS but couldn't really get into it. Too cheesy I guess. It's that late 70s cheese factor. Love the theme song though!

As for EMERGENCY! that's an even bigger puzzler for me. Apparently it has quite the fanbase. I just don't get it. I remember reruns of it from like 15-20 years ago. I maybe saw 10 or 15 minutes here or there or had it on in the background while doing something else but it's definitely not something that I would invest an hour into to just sit down and pay attention to what was going on. It always came across as something that little boys who want to grow up to be firemen might find interesting. Putting out a fire, breaking down a door, rescuing a cat from a tree, etc. But I just couldn't see an adult watching this show or taking any of it seriously. Mind you, I was only around 20 when this thing was on in reruns and I found myself too old for this LOL. :lol: And then there was the hospital side of it where they would perform EKG's or whatever other medical procedures were required. My guess is that was geared for the young girls or boys who wanted to grow up to be nurses or doctors? :) Anyhoo, I just found the whole premise of that show kinda silly and then when I came across so many fans who said this was one of their favorite shows growing up and that they owned every season on DVD I was like... :shock: Surely there were dozens of shows in the 70s that kids found more fascinating. Aside from sitcoms, I'm thinking something like The Six Million Dollar Man. Or even CHiPs. Dukes of Hazzard, of course. But who knows? Maybe it was all about those firetrucks. I know my little boy is crazy about them and gets super excited when one passes by with its sirens blaring! :D

So maybe I answered my own question??? :lol: