How many times have you watched the series?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Just what the subject says: How many times have you watched the series?

0 -- I'm in my first pass
6%
6%
13%
13%
6%
6%
More than 5
50%

Total votes: 16

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: How many times have you watched the series?

#31 Post by eagle »

Mark de Croix wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:12 am
eagle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:00 pm Just what the subject says: How many times have you watched the series?
Really interesting thread, @eagle, and I thank you for it. (BTW, you might adjust the question to "complete series.") For one thing, it seems such a really basic question yet maybe has taken all these years of MM.com for it to be asked?! For another it's inspirational :); by that I mean your survey already shows that many people repeatedly enjoy watching the entire series ever times more.

I did see it sporadically years ago on TV, but just recently am able to see all or any of them. I am continually impressed about its staying power. Because I have the rare pleasure of going through the series for the first time, it is nice to know there's no end in sight. The shows can be repeatedly enjoyed. Any takers for getting into the Guinness Book? One of you guys could probably do it.
Thanks, yes, I didn't remember seeing the question asked, and I wondered. And yes, I meant "complete series."

And yes, for me the show has tremendous staying power. Sometimes all I need is to hear the theme song.

I love the show, and I think I should watch another episode tonight even. :) I need to finish "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" (s6e14), then it's "All Thieves on Deck" (s6e15).

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Mark de Croix »

eagle wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:56 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:12 am
eagle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:00 pm Just what the subject says: How many times have you watched the series?
Really interesting thread, @eagle, and I thank you for it. (BTW, you might adjust the question to "complete series.") For one thing, it seems such a really basic question yet maybe has taken all these years of MM.com for it to be asked?! For another it's inspirational :); by that I mean your survey already shows that many people repeatedly enjoy watching the entire series ever times more.

I did see it sporadically years ago on TV, but just recently am able to see all or any of them. I am continually impressed about its staying power. Because I have the rare pleasure of going through the series for the first time, it is nice to know there's no end in sight. The shows can be repeatedly enjoyed. Any takers for getting into the Guinness Book? One of you guys could probably do it.
Thanks, yes, I didn't remember seeing the question asked, and I wondered. And yes, I meant "complete series."

And yes, for me the show has tremendous staying power. Sometimes all I need is to hear the theme song.

I love the show, and I think I should watch another episode tonight even. :) I need to finish "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" (s6e14), then it's "All Thieves on Deck" (s6e15).
You mention the theme song. I love it. Which version do you like best--the first, second or third? (the music is probably the same but the video differs)

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by eagle »

Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:08 am You mention the theme song. I love it. Which version do you like best--the first, second or third? (the music is probably the same but the video differs)
By "third," do you mean the one used in the reboot? If so, definitely the second is my favorite, but I also very much like the original. If there were 3 used in the original series, could you let me know eps to hear them all?

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

eagle wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:27 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:08 am You mention the theme song. I love it. Which version do you like best--the first, second or third? (the music is probably the same but the video differs)
By "third," do you mean the one used in the reboot? If so, definitely the second is my favorite, but I also very much like the original. If there were 3 used in the original series, could you let me know eps to hear them all?
I think by "third" he means the changed title shots like TM dunking the basketball and Higgins with his River Kwai bridge, etc. Of course it's still the same theme, just a few shots in the opening titles which got changed.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by eagle »

Wow, were there 3 intro rolls used in the first season? I know of two... didn't realize there was a third.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

eagle wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:53 pm Wow, were there 3 intro rolls used in the first season? I know of two... didn't realize there was a third.
No, we're talking across the entire series. Not just the first season. Actually there were more than 3 intro rolls. The first season had 2 - first the Ian Freebairn-Smith theme and then the familiar theme by Mike Post. The second season had a slightly different intro roll (with a few new shots added). The third season again changed a few shots, including the updated MPI logo (more stylized and more slanted). This same roll was used for season 4 (and maybe season 5)? Then the last change was the one where we see TM dunking the basketball, Higgins conducting, building his River Kwai bridge, etc. That was used for the last 3 seasons I believe. So in total there were 5 different versions of the opening titles.

I believe this is all covered on this site on the main page. The changes in the opening titles over the seasons.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#37 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:02 pm
eagle wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:53 pm Wow, were there 3 intro rolls used in the first season? I know of two... didn't realize there was a third.
No, we're talking across the entire series. Not just the first season. Actually there were more than 3 intro rolls. The first season had 2 - first the Ian Freebairn-Smith theme and then the familiar theme by Mike Post. The second season had a slightly different intro roll (with a few new shots added). The third season again changed a few shots, including the updated MPI logo (more stylized and more slanted). This same roll was used for season 4 (and maybe season 5)? Then the last change was the one where we see TM dunking the basketball, Higgins conducting, building his River Kwai bridge, etc. That was used for the last 3 seasons I believe. So in total there were 5 different versions of the opening titles.

I believe this is all covered on this site on the main page. The changes in the opening titles over the seasons.
You could also add to season 1 the pilot intro using the Freebairn-Smith theme, in a longer version I believe, and with different images and the croix motif.

I’ve always enjoyed that theme, I think because the pilot intro visuals are so artfully done. It’s also the only episode, if shown in its original form, to have a scene before the intro music.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Mark de Croix »

I meant it impressionistically. When I returned to following MPI, one of my first things was to record the theme part because it's so cool. In later episodes I found of course different versions. My fav segments are TM pulling the Ferrari onto to the highway, him and Rick driving through the leafy thick highway on both sides almost like a tunnel of greenery, TC in his office with a beer on the phone, and the three of them digging in a night scene. Not sure why the night scene is so captivating; maybe somehow it has a feeling of Halloween, a favorite of mine. :D

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by eagle »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:40 pm I tried CHiPS but couldn't really get into it. Too cheesy I guess. It's that late 70s cheese factor. Love the theme song though!
CHiPs is definitely cheesy, but that's part of why I like it. It's a fun, light show with a moral to the story.

And yes, the CHiPs theme song is awesome.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by eagle »

80s Big Hair wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:31 am As a rule I do not like repeatedly seeing the same thing over and over again. When it is mostly out of mind I will give it another go.
Yeah, my wife almost never likes to see the same show twice, and likes to go in fresh. For myself, I rarely remember all of the details of a TV show I watch, even Magnum, so I can go in "fresh" every time.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by eagle »

Mark de Croix wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:46 am
I meant it impressionistically. When I returned to following MPI, one of my first things was to record the theme part because it's so cool. In later episodes I found of course different versions. My fav segments are TM pulling the Ferrari onto to the highway, him and Rick driving through the leafy thick highway on both sides almost like a tunnel of greenery, TC in his office with a beer on the phone, and the three of them digging in a night scene. Not sure why the night scene is so captivating; maybe somehow it has a feeling of Halloween, a favorite of mine. :D
My favorite title sequence is the one used in the latter half of season 1 -- the one with the Hawaiian Luau.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Mark de Croix »

eagle wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:40 pm

My favorite title sequence is the one used in the latter half of season 1 -- the one with the Hawaiian Luau.
The pages for the titles amazed me. Truly its mania at its zenith!