Rest in Peace, Her Majesty the Queen

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Rest in Peace, Her Majesty the Queen

#16 Post by eagle »

What a sad day, even for those of us who haven't been subject to the crown for some 250 years. What a classy lady she was, the last in a long line of monarchs, and there will not be another like her in our lifetimes -- or probably ever. She will be missed. I wonder what Higgins would say about King Charles III.

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

#17 Post by Philip Jennings »

charybdis1966 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:13 pm I’m reminded of that portrait of hers by his safe at Robin’s Nest.
There's also the one that is shattered in "Summer School" (S6, E13), around the beginning of the final 10 minutes of that episode.

Hitman: Nice lookin' dame. You know her? Personally? I mean did you ever go out with her... like on a date?
Higgins: Put that down!

(I'd add a screenshot if only I knew how.)

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Isn't there an episode where Higgins is specifically speaking about the Queen Mother (her jubilee or something)? I want to say it was in a season 4 episode.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Aloha Friday wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:41 am I'd bet the production staff probably didn't know that wasn't the queen. I had always assumed the portrait was of Queen Elizabeth.
Somebody had to know that wasn't the Queen! Maybe they couldn't find one from the right era that would fit the space and decided to use Mum's portrait hoping nobody would notice! They didn't know that 40 years in the future we'd all have the ability to take screen captures and examine the painting closely, but I bet some Brits who watched in the 1980s recognized that wasn't QEII.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:17 pm
Aloha Friday wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:41 am I'd bet the production staff probably didn't know that wasn't the queen. I had always assumed the portrait was of Queen Elizabeth.
Somebody had to know that wasn't the Queen! Maybe they couldn't find one from the right era that would fit the space and decided to use Mum's portrait hoping nobody would notice! They didn't know that 40 years in the future we'd all have the ability to take screen captures and examine the painting closely, but I bet some Brits who watched in the 1980s recognized that wasn't QEII.
All the queens look the same to us Americans! :lol:

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#21 Post by Aloha Friday »

There was no such thing as the internet back then, so pictures of the Queen would not be as easy to come by as they are today. Newspapers, magazines or books from the library would be your source. A prop guy probably used whatever he could find and crank out a portrait. A researcher finds "Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother...close enough. To most viewers on a small 19" TV screen, who'd know the difference...and an American audience wont know. I'm a huge fan that has watched for decades, and I didn't know until yesterday.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Chris109 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:37 pm
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:17 pm
All the queens look the same to us Americans! :lol:

“𝐍𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐚 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐦𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐮𝐬, 𝐚𝐬 𝐀𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐰𝐞 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐬”