What's your favorite version of the King Kamehameha Club?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Capa150
Lieutenant Commander

What's your favorite version of the King Kamehameha Club?

#1 Post by Capa150 »

I think I'm most fond of the Elks Lodge ...

JungleBird
Commander

Re: What's your favorite version of the King Kamehameha Club?

#2 Post by JungleBird »

That's a good question but I think I like the Elks Lodge version best too. And, of course, the infamous "beach bar".
I think it was 6 or 7 different locations they used. Strange that they changed this that often. I also always wondered why the "entrance shot" location (Marks estate) was used as the back-entrance to the club so to speak. It doesn't really look like the ocean would be very close, given the vegetation etc visible. Yet from the club's indoor scenes, the ocean clearly is supposed to be right outside. And the beach bar would also in theory be near the actual club, wouldn't it? :higgins:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

My guess as to why the location changed so much is the ease of scheduling. The Elk’s Club (which I like most) is likely in use much more than the “beach bar” which was actually created from a space on a public beach. The location scouts and coordinators probably found it much easier to schedule and use the public space than actual clubs. The exterior of the Marks Estate was largely in establishing shots, though it was used in some scenes in Billy Joe Bob.

There was also a problem with too much local noise at the Elk’s Club, which would require more takes. I’m not sure what the noise was, but when I worked in production, I recall many times the sound recorder, not the director, calling cut in the middle of a scene when an airplane flew over head. Most of the crew didn’t notice the noise, but if he heard it through his headphones he would end the take. Interestingly, I remember him saying that airliners were not as big of a problem as propeller planes. The airliners were at higher altitude and had a lower rumble that wasn’t as detectable as the buzz of the prop planes.

The production made the club out to be much larger than any of the actual locations, just as they made Robin’s Nest seem so much bigger. The “KKC” had beach volleyball courts, tennis courts, the bar and restaurant, an outside ocean terrace, and the beach bar all at various times. Robin’s Nest also supposedly had a stable, a hot tub, and included all the land from mauka to makai on hundreds of acres, but it was just five. It’s Hollywood magic at its best!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I passed the Elk's Club many a time during my stays in Waikiki. It's just across from Kapiolani Park at the edge of Waikiki. In fact I went inside and got a peek at the volleyball court, which as I recall was used in "Adelaide". Or was it "All Roads Lead to Floyd"? One of those.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#5 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:43 pm I passed the Elk's Club many a time during my stays in Waikiki. It's just across from Kapiolani Park at the edge of Waikiki. In fact I went inside and got a peek at the volleyball court, which as I recall was used in "Adelaide". Or was it "All Roads Lead to Floyd"? One of those.
I believe it was Adelaide.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Sam »

Capa150 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:21 am I think I'm most fond of the Elks Lodge ...
I agree Capa...Since it was the original it's my favorite.

Hey Ivan...I'm not nitpicking but just factual..The Elks Club doesn't have volleyball courts...The volleyball was filmed next door at the Outrigger Canoe Club.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Chris109 »

I never understood the chairs they would sit on when on the beach. It was those metal ones with the cross-metal seats and back. After sitting for a while, one would stand up and have the imprints on their back/backside/legs. Not too comfortable either. You'd think they would at least have cushions.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Sam wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:40 pm
Capa150 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:21 am I think I'm most fond of the Elks Lodge ...
I agree Capa...Since it was the original it's my favorite.

Hey Ivan...I'm not nitpicking but just factual..The Elks Club doesn't have volleyball courts...The volleyball was filmed next door at the Outrigger Canoe Club.
Hmmm... you might be right. I thought it was the Elks Club, but it looks like Elks and the Outrigger Canoe Club are side by side so maybe it was the latter. It looks like they share the same parking lot or something (looking at Google Street views). I know I entered into the parking lot and got as far as the entrance to the inside of the club and right next to the entrance I saw these steps that went up to the volleyball court. The gate was closed and it looked like someone was playing there.