Rest in Peace Roger E. Mosley

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

Re: Rest in Peace Roger E. Mosley

#46 Post by Magnum4eva »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:27 pm
Magnum4eva wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:26 pm
Love your post! Especially what you said about the strength of the chemistry of the core four. THAT dynamic is what made Magnum the icon it is. What those guys had together was something the reboot couldn't replicate or most other tv shows past or present. The only other shows I can think of that is comparable are The Golden Girls, Martin and The Rockford Files with Jim Rockford and all his family and friends.
MARTIN??? :lol: Sorry, that kind of caught me off guard. I've never actually seen the show and almost forgot it existed until you mentioned it. I guess I don't think of it as classic television and actually found it funny when you mentioned it alongside a classic like ROCKFORD. :lol: Just gave me a chuckle, that's all.

I guess I found THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL-AIR more appealing than MARTIN. :wink:

Lol hold on now, Martin is a comedy classic! I grew up with it and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and both shows as well as Rockford and Magnum had amazing casts with iconic chemistry so I definitely had to compare them in that regard. Though, of course those shows all put together does seem like an odd match, but I've always had very diverse and quirky tastes in tv shows and movies. ;)

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Magnum4eva wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:53 pm
Love your post! Especially what you said about the strength of the chemistry of the core four. THAT dynamic is what made Magnum the icon it is. What those guys had together was something the reboot couldn't replicate or most other tv shows past or present. The only other shows I can think of that is comparable are The Golden Girls, Martin and The Rockford Files with Jim Rockford and all his family and friends.
MARTIN??? :lol: Sorry, that kind of caught me off guard. I've never actually seen the show and almost forgot it existed until you mentioned it. I guess I don't think of it as classic television and actually found it funny when you mentioned it alongside a classic like ROCKFORD. :lol: Just gave me a chuckle, that's all.

Lol hold on now, Martin is a comedy classic! I grew up with it and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and both shows as well as Rockford and Magnum had amazing casts with iconic chemistry so I definitely had to compare them in that regard. Though, of course those shows all put together does seem like an odd match, but I've always had very diverse and quirky tastes in tv shows and movies. ;)
When I think of perfect casting for sitcoms then you really can't beat the cast of The Andy Griffith Show, All in the Family, Three's Company, The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, Happy Days, Cheers, and a few others I'm probably missing. When I think of the cast of those shows I just cannot fathom anyone else playing any of those roles. Not in a million years! Whereas with some other shows I could say... eh... I could probably see someone else in this role too. For instance, take HOGAN'S HEROES. I can't see anyone else playing the roles of Col. Klink or Sgt. Schultz. I just can't. Whereas I could probably see someone else playing the lead Col. Hogan (even though Bob Crane seems perfect for the part). Whereas in ALL IN THE FAMILY there's just simply nobody else I can see playing Archie except Carroll O'Connor! I can't see anybody else as Jack Tripper or Mr. Roper or Mr. Furley. I can't see anybody but Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden or Art Carney as Norton. I just read yesterday that apparently Michael Lembeck (who I'm not really familiar with) was a finalist for both Fonzie and Jack Tripper. But I just can't see past Henry Winkler and John Ritter.

But yeah I guess I could go through a slew of sitcoms that seem to have perfect casting before I got to MARTIN. :P Which aside from maybe a minute or two here and there I haven't really seen. Aside from Martin Lawrence I really don't know who else was in the cast. GOLDEN GIRLS was something my sister watched sometimes. Me? Nah. :lol:

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#48 Post by Magnum4eva »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:30 pm

When I think of perfect casting for sitcoms then you really can't beat the cast of The Andy Griffith Show, All in the Family, Three's Company, The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, Happy Days, Cheers, and a few others I'm probably missing. When I think of the cast of those shows I just cannot fathom anyone else playing any of those roles. Not in a million years! Whereas with some other shows I could say... eh... I could probably see someone else in this role too. For instance, take HOGAN'S HEROES. I can't see anyone else playing the roles of Col. Klink or Sgt. Schultz. I just can't. Whereas I could probably see someone else playing the lead Col. Hogan (even though Bob Crane seems perfect for the part). Whereas in ALL IN THE FAMILY there's just simply nobody else I can see playing Archie except Carroll O'Connor! I can't see anybody else as Jack Tripper or Mr. Roper or Mr. Furley. I can't see anybody but Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden or Art Carney as Norton. I just read yesterday that apparently Michael Lembeck (who I'm not really familiar with) was a finalist for both Fonzie and Jack Tripper. But I just can't see past Henry Winkler and John Ritter.

But yeah I guess I could go through a slew of sitcoms that seem to have perfect casting before I got to MARTIN. :P Which aside from maybe a minute or two here and there I haven't really seen. Aside from Martin Lawrence I really don't know who else was in the cast. GOLDEN GIRLS was something my sister watched sometimes. Me? Nah. :lol:
All perfect examples! I'll also throw in the cast of Frasier, The Mary Tyler Moore Show and MASH as well.

Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Magnum4eva wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:08 pm

All perfect examples! I'll also throw in the cast of Frasier, The Mary Tyler Moore Show and MASH as well.
I suppose. But those were 3 shows that I never cared for. Just couldn't get into them, especially MASH. I think the one episode that I actually managed to make my way all the way through had that Col. Flagg guy (Edward Winter) who pretended to be the CIA or FBI or something. But typically I would bail after a few minutes because it just couldn't hold my interest. When I was in my teens I had a friend who told me if I like HOGAN'S HEROES then I'll also like MASH (he loved both). Not sure why he said that because those 2 shows really have nothing in common, aside from both taking place at wartime.

Anyway, sorry for derailing this thread. :)

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#50 Post by Magnum4eva »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:35 am
Magnum4eva wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:08 pm

I suppose. But those were 3 shows that I never cared for. Just couldn't get into them, especially MASH. I think the one episode that I actually managed to make my way all the way through had that Col. Flagg guy (Edward Winter) who pretended to be the CIA or FBI or something. But typically I would bail after a few minutes because it just couldn't hold my interest. When I was in my teens I had a friend who told me if I like HOGAN'S HEROES then I'll also like MASH (he loved both). Not sure why he said that because those 2 shows really have nothing in common, aside from both taking place at wartime.

Anyway, sorry for derailing this thread. :)
Not a problem :)

#1 Buzzettes Fan
Lieutenant

#51 Post by #1 Buzzettes Fan »

Rest in Peace Roger Mosley! It's very strange that a few days ago I picked up a used sony 400 disc dvd changer and put all my discs inside to re-watch the series... (Last time was four years ago already.) then I saw the sad news after coming back to the forum here. The only news site I see these days is Epoch Times so I don't follow celebrity type news. I'm so grateful to have caught MPI in the 80s as a kid and then later on dvd as well. I tell everyone it is my favorite show ever. I owe a lot of thanks to all the cast and crew and today especially to the superb character TC. God bless.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#52 Post by Pahonu »

#1 Buzzettes Fan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:57 am Rest in Peace Roger Mosley! It's very strange that a few days ago I picked up a used sony 400 disc dvd changer and put all my discs inside to re-watch the series... (Last time was four years ago already.) then I saw the sad news after coming back to the forum here. The only news site I see these days is Epoch Times so I don't follow celebrity type news. I'm so grateful to have caught MPI in the 80s as a kid and then later on dvd as well. I tell everyone it is my favorite show ever. I owe a lot of thanks to all the cast and crew and today especially to the superb character TC. God bless.
Is The Epoch Times the one associated with the Falun Gong religious movement?

Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:24 pm
#1 Buzzettes Fan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:57 am Rest in Peace Roger Mosley! It's very strange that a few days ago I picked up a used sony 400 disc dvd changer and put all my discs inside to re-watch the series... (Last time was four years ago already.) then I saw the sad news after coming back to the forum here. The only news site I see these days is Epoch Times so I don't follow celebrity type news. I'm so grateful to have caught MPI in the 80s as a kid and then later on dvd as well. I tell everyone it is my favorite show ever. I owe a lot of thanks to all the cast and crew and today especially to the superb character TC. God bless.
I had to google this Falun Gong thing (I've never heard of it) and I see it's some kind of Buddhist movement but I'm perplexed why there's a swastika in its logo. :? What does Buddhism have to do with Nazism? I guess it's not entirely true that there's nothing new under the sun. This is. For me, at least. :lol:

Pahonu

#54 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:35 pm
I had to google this Falun Gong thing (I've never heard of it) and I see it's some kind of Buddhist movement but I'm perplexed why there's a swastika in its logo. :? What does Buddhism have to do with Nazism? I guess it's not entirely true that there's nothing new under the sun. This is. For me, at least. :lol:
I don’t much about the religion but had read about its link to that publication.

The swastika shape actually has a long history before nazism and was used by other groups including some Native American and also people from India.

Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:45 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:35 pm
I don’t much about the religion but had read about its link to that publication.

The swastika shape actually has a long history before nazism and was used by other groups including some Native American and also people from India.
I see. I did not know that.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Chris109 »

Roman Balmakov is THE MAN, isn't he?

As for dvd changer: why not just rip them (probably take a while 😅, unless you go the torrent route) and throw them on an external hard drive and plug them into the tv. Of the hundreds of tv shows, movies, etc. I have, they fit on a 1 tb disc and I still have plenty of room left over.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by eagle »

Chris109 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:33 pm Roman Balmakov is THE MAN, isn't he?
Agreed. I love Roman Balmakov.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Chris109 »

eagle wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:02 pm
Chris109 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:33 pm Roman Balmakov is THE MAN, isn't he?
Agreed. I love Roman Balmakov.
"𝑰'𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒐𝒘 𝒂 𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝒅𝒐𝒘𝒏 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒄𝒓𝒊𝒑𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒃𝒐𝒙 𝒃𝒆𝒍𝒐𝒘 "

Pahonu

#59 Post by Pahonu »

I generally find it disconcerting when someone says they only follow one news source. By definition, limiting oneself to a single source of information is inherently biased. I know I’m more liberal than many of the forum members, but I have had wonderful conversations with them over the years. Some might say I have had interesting and even contentious conversations, but I honestly find it troubling that people admit to openly limiting their information sources. Reading a wide variety of perspectives can’t be a negative? Less information can’t be good? A narrow source of information is honestly troubling to me. Just my two cents.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:11 am I generally find it disconcerting when someone says they only follow one news source. By definition, limiting oneself to a single source of information is inherently biased. I know I’m more liberal than many of the forum members, but I have had wonderful conversations with them over the years. Some might say I have had interesting and even contentious conversations, but I honestly find it troubling that people admit to openly limiting their information sources. Reading a wide variety of perspectives can’t be a negative? Less information can’t be good? A narrow source of information is honestly troubling to me. Just my two cents.
I understand that sentiment, and I generally agree with it, but I don't agree with it in this case. The reason: the MSM (CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc) cannot be considered news at this point. They are so obviously and strongly biased, and they obviously run narratives, that they cannot be relied upon for any sort of "news."

In general, I agree with the notion of using more than one news source. The problem is: What news source, other than The Epoch Times, is unbiased at this point? (The Epoch Times is biased against CCP; that's the only bias I find in their reporting.) I used to like WSJ news reporting -- it used to be unbiased, even as their opinion/editorial page was right-leaning -- but even WSJ is running left-leaning narratives at this point.

It's truly sad to see, the state of "news" reporting today. I really wish we could get back to the 5 Ws. I'd be very happy to use more sources. To be honest, I'd be happy to use left-leaning sources that aren't running a narrative, but I don't know of any at this point.

Today, my sources are, in order: Not The Bee (an aggregator, not a news organization, and with a Christian perspective), The Epoch Times (as unbiased as I have found), and Daily Wire (obviously right-leaning).