Rest in Peace Roger E. Mosley

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Rest in Peace Roger E. Mosley

#76 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Work The Lock wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:30 am I understand that many of TC's nuances that made him such an interesting and lovable character (his knowledge of books, opera and ballet, abstaining from drink or smoking, and generally being the adult in the room when Magnum and Rick could not) were things that Roger fought the writers and producers for early on in the series, when they wanted to make TC with rougher edges. Clearly he made the right call. Thank you Roger for sticking to your guns and giving us an unforgettable core character. You will be missed.
Outstanding, "Work The Lock", you certainly found the key.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#77 Post by Magnum4eva »

Work The Lock wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:30 am I understand that many of TC's nuances that made him such an interesting and lovable character (his knowledge of books, opera and ballet, abstaining from drink or smoking, and generally being the adult in the room when Magnum and Rick could not) were things that Roger fought the writers and producers for early on in the series, when they wanted to make TC with rougher edges. Clearly he made the right call. Thank you Roger for sticking to your guns and giving us an unforgettable core character. You will be missed.
I think all of those aspects is what made TC's bond with Higgins very unique compared to Higgin's relationships with Thomas and Rick. TC and Higgins ironically have a lot in common despite them seeming so wildly different on the surface. I'd even say that TC was Higgins' favorite out of the three lol.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I'd even say that TC was Higgins' favorite out of the three lol.
I kinda always thought that too! The Higgy Baby and TC relationship was different than the others.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:45 am
I kinda always thought that too! The Higgy Baby and TC relationship was different than the others.
Even though Higgy Baby did get annoyed with TC landing his helicopter on the estate lawn. Because the lawn consists of a delicate balance of various botanical, ecological, flora and blah, blah, blah... :higgins: :lol:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#80 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:05 pm
Even though Higgy Baby did get annoyed with TC landing his helicopter on the estate lawn. Because the lawn consists of a delicate balance of various botanical, ecological, flora and blah, blah, blah... :higgins: :lol:
Yes, it’s a precise blend of Bahia, Kentucky Bluegrass, and an African Zoysia. Those are the actual varieties Higgins states when TM is mowing the grass. How do I remember some of these useless details?!? :shock: :lol: He also says Magnum is cutting it off the grain by some percentage I don’t actually remember… :D It’s a fun scene, especially Higgins response of disgust to TM showing him the fortune cookie and Magnum kissing it and pledging scouts honor.

Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:00 pm
Yes, it’s a precise blend of Bahia, Kentucky Bluegrass, and an African Zoysia. Those are the actual varieties Higgins states when TM is mowing the grass. How do I remember some of these useless details?!? :shock: :lol: He also says Magnum is cutting it off the grain by some percentage I don’t actually remember… :D It’s a fun scene, especially Higgins response of disgust to TM showing him the fortune cookie and Magnum kissing it and pledging scouts honor.
Which episode was this? I remember him talking about the blend of grass but don't recall the fortune cookie bit.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#82 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:54 pm
Which episode was this? I remember him talking about the blend of grass but don't recall the fortune cookie bit.
The Eighth Part of the Village

Higgins:

“To the untrained eye this may appear to be just another suburban lawn. For your information, we are standing on a scientifically formulated carpet of Bahia, Kentucky Bluegrass, and an African Zoysia. One doesn't just "mow it"!

Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:48 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:54 pm

The Eighth Part of the Village

Higgins:

“To the untrained eye this may appear to be just another suburban lawn. For your information, we are standing on a scientifically formulated carpet of Bahia, Kentucky Bluegrass, and an African Zoysia. One doesn't just "mow it"!
:lol: I see, thanks. I definitely saw that episode. Twice, I believe.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by steveadl »

Rest in Peace TC :(

Tuan Vu from Hawaii
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#85 Post by Tuan Vu from Hawaii »

Sorry to hear Roger Mosley has passed. I didn't realize he had such a great career. He starred opposite Muhammad Ali in "The Greatest" and was on so many TV shows like "Sanford and Son", "Kung Fu", "Kojak", Rockford Files", "Roots: The Next Generation" and many more. He was a pioneer in many ways for black actors and should be recognized for his accomplishments.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Mark de Croix »

Tuan Vu from Hawaii wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:40 pm Sorry to hear Roger Mosley has passed. I didn't realize he had such a great career. He starred opposite Muhammad Ali in "The Greatest" and was on so many TV shows like "Sanford and Son", "Kung Fu", "Kojak", Rockford Files", "Roots: The Next Generation" and many more. He was a pioneer in many ways for black actors and should be recognized for his accomplishments.
For sure. My understanding is that Mosley was intent in projecting TC's character as one of integrity with high morals and education as way to inspire youths. For example, TC is shown to have expert knowledge of classical music. Mosley was mindful of degenerative images in popular culture and wanted to combat it. But at the same I take it he was keen to express blackness by his "lingo" such as calling Higgins, "Higgy, baby." This "code-switching" is something many blacks are fluent in. I'm assuming he, like Tom Selleck, had full reign about his dialog. The positive relationship with Magnum is a model much needed in the highly divisive society of today. This point probably gets little note when MPI merits are mentioned, but probably is one of the most impactful on us all.

usc1
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#87 Post by usc1 »

No updated status on the front page of this site?