For UK fans

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

For UK fans

#1 Post by charybdis1966 »

In case any UK fan is unaware ITV4 (Sky Channel 120, Freeview channel 26) is showing MPI at 2.40pm each afternoon and repeating it the next day at 8.05am.

I only noticed today but they are currently on part 2 of the pilot. As it's on pre-watershed I expect there to be a fair amount of censoring so be warned guys!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: For UK fans

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Some more clarity is needed just for curiosity...why would any TV show start at 2:40pm?? And what's this "pre-watershed" you speak of?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by charybdis1966 »

TV programme times are all over the shop on the UK channels, you can basically get a programme start at anytime within the hour in 5 minute increments. I'm guessing it's because we have less commercial breaks per hour in the UK than the US hence the 42 minute hour long TV shows end up causing the hourly slots to go out of sync.

The TV "Watershed" used to be 9pm before which TV broadcasters weren't allowed to show violence/sex/nudity/profanity/drug references/knife violence. So, for example, when it comes to the climax of Sunrise I'm pretty sure ITV4 won't show what happens to Ivan.
Also in "Never again..never again" we won't see what exactly happened to Lena.

I think some sort of TV watershed does still exist but as what's permissible nowadays is so much more than in the past maybe there'll be less censorship. If ITV4 were showing these in the evening I'd expect so see no censoring.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Interesting! Having watched a few seasons of Naked Attraction, I assumed TV censorship was just thrown out the window at some point in the UK. ;-)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by charybdis1966 »

Ugh, Naked Attraction is DEFINITELY post watershed. I thinks it’s after 10pm and I make sure I don’t see that when I channel hop. :oops:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:42 pm Also in "Never again..never again" we won't see what exactly happened to Lena.
Well, we never did see what happened to Lena. So nothing changes there. :)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#7 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:31 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:42 pm Also in "Never again..never again" we won't see what exactly happened to Lena.
Most people never heard what happened to her either.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:05 pm
I vaguely remember reading on this forum somewhere that on the original transmission you hear a shot fired while you see a long shot of the boat at night. Subsequent syndication showings and DVD releases just went straight from “It’s over Lena” to the next scene with a lugubrious TM staring at the ocean.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#9 Post by Pahonu »

charybdis1966 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:26 pm
I vaguely reading on this forum somewhere that on the original transmission you hear a shot fired while you see a long shot of the boat at night. Subsequent syndication showings and DVD releases just went straight from “It’s over Lena” to the next scene with a lugubrious TM staring at the ocean.
That’s exactly right.

Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I vaguely remember reading on this forum somewhere that on the original transmission you hear a shot fired while you see a long shot of the boat at night. Subsequent syndication showings and DVD releases just went straight from “It’s over Lena” to the next scene with a lugubrious TM staring at the ocean.
Yeah I've never seen any version where a shot was heard. But even if they were to show the version with the shot it would hardly qualify as too shocking for TV, especially with the disgusting burnt corpses that regularly are shown on primetime TV. Just look at any of those CSI's or NCIS's. So I'm sure nobody would give it a second thought, especially with the shot being off-screen anyway.

Pahonu

#11 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:12 am
Yeah I've never seen any version where a shot was heard. But even if they were to show the version with the shot it would hardly qualify as too shocking for TV, especially with the disgusting burnt corpses that regularly are shown on primetime TV. Just look at any of those CSI's or NCIS's. So I'm sure nobody would give it a second thought, especially with the shot being off-screen anyway.
I remember a bit of the conversation about this from many years ago. I don’t remember any definitive reason for the removal of the shot sound being known. Other forum members did recall the original version. The consensus seemed to be simply removing a killing by Magnum, particularly of an elderly woman.

I think it was pointed out, but can’t say with certainty, that the final scene with Higgins doesn’t explicitly state that TM shot her, rather that he had to do what he did, or something like that. Removing the shot sound in the previous shot would leave open the idea that Lena was somehow subdued by Magnum and turned over to authorities rather than him killing her.

I think the original line of questioning about the scene brought up the idea that TM should have been able to subdue an elderly woman with a scalpel without using deadly force. Either way, the subsequent sadness he showed would reflect that he had known her and Saul for some years according to previous comments, and now they were gone.

It was also pointed out that some of the dialogue in that final scene seemed to be added in later as it sounded different. Perhaps that was part of an attempt to lighten the mood at least a little.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by charybdis1966 »

charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:42 pm
ITV4 aired this episode today and as expected the final few scenes make no sense with the editing out of the gunshot fired at Lena. You get Lena saying "I guess it finally is.." with an angry defiant face, a shot of TM, another shot (which looks out of sequence to me) of Lena not looking angry/defiant but a bit befuddled and then the long shot of the boat to a silent soundtrack.

Then we get TM feeling glum over what in the original airing would have him shooting Lena. I know this has been discussed at length but I still think "huh??" when Higgins talks of "there were no small fish..." and TM seems overly sulky over what - as the edited version leads you to believe - is for nothing much that he has done.

Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:26 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:42 pm
ITV4 aired this episode today and as expected the final few scenes make no sense with the editing out of the gunshot fired at Lena. You get Lena saying "I guess it finally is.." with an angry defiant face, a shot of TM, another shot (which looks out of sequence to me) of Lena not looking angry/defiant but a bit befuddled and then the long shot of the boat to a silent soundtrack.

Then we get TM feeling glum over what in the original airing would have him shooting Lena. I know this has been discussed at length but I still think "huh??" when Higgins talks of "there were no small fish..." and TM seems overly sulky over what - as the edited version leads you to believe - is for nothing much that he has done.
I don't know why it's so difficult to understand what TM is sulking over. Even if he didn't shoot her, come on, he was good friends with 2 sweet elderly people who turned out to be murderous Nazis! You think TM shouldn't be phased by that?? Of course he would be. Anyone would. For crying out loud - she cut that Israeli agent's throat with a knife. And would have done the same to TM. That's some pretty disturbing turn of events right there!

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by charybdis1966 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:45 pm
I don't know why it's so difficult to understand what TM is sulking over. Even if he didn't shoot her, come on, he was good friends with 2 sweet elderly people who turned out to be murderous Nazis! You think TM shouldn't be phased by that?? Of course he would be. Anyone would. For crying out loud - she cut that Israeli agent's throat with a knife. And would have done the same to TM. That's some pretty disturbing turn of events right there!
To me it looks like TM is feeling guilt (rather than feeling betrayed by the 2 old people he thought well of before being found out to not being what he thought), hence Higgins' reassurance that he did nothing wrong.
The way the censoring has made it look on todays showing makes his reaction look disproportionate - or maybe I'm just a bit insensitive. :?

Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:15 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:45 pm
To me it looks like TM is feeling guilt (rather than feeling betrayed by the 2 old people he thought well of before being found out to not being what he thought), hence Higgins' reassurance that he did nothing wrong.
The way the censoring has made it look on todays showing makes his reaction look disproportionate - or maybe I'm just a bit insensitive. :?
Does Higgins actually say "you did nothing wrong"? I don't remember. I seem to recall Higgins just reassuring TM that they (the Nazis) were all equally bad. That there were no small fish. In other words - don't feel too bad about the Greenbergs (or whatever their real names were), they were Nazis so you can't make any excuses for them. They were always evil inside. Not worth your time or your sorrow.