Favorite Episode

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

erock308
Fleet Admiral

Favorite Episode

#1 Post by erock308 »

I can explain! Mine has to be Paper War. I just find the interactions with Higgins & Magnum are on point in this episode, noting the expressionless face that Johnathan pulls off so well, and the physical humor from Thomas such as a not so subtle eye roll or fast double glance. These two guys are pros and working together into their 7th season they really have a feel for their characters and a well versed feel of each others acting style. Brilliantly writing and performed episode and that's why it's my favorite. :magnum:
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re: Favorite Episode

#2 Post by Gorilla Mask »

My favorite episode is "Black on White"(3.7). The storyline has one of the best twists and turns of the entire series, the humor and drama mix very well. The actor interactions are excellent, especially around the feigned quarantine and the famous yellow video game that obviously doesn't only interest retarded teenagers like TM!

Ian Mc Shaw gives a lot of himself.

The music and the general atmosphere, very tense at times, also contributes a lot. :magnum:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

If I base my choice simply on the number of times I have watched an episode, which has to mean something, then it is easily the pilot. I also tend to watch several season 1 and 2 episodes more than others, like Lest We Forget, No Need to Know, J “Digger” Doyle, China Doll, Italian Ice, and Dead Man’s Channel.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I always seem to come back to China Doll. It really captures the beauty of the islands and is a reminder that Hawaii is familiar and yet exotic. The storyline even makes it exciting. Bellisario and Larson wrote the episode and Bellisario directed it. I think that underscores the purity of its Magnum pedigree.

Also, "Hi, Ho" has got to be one of the most memorable comedic quips of the entire series. Selleck really shows his range from dead serious to comedy.

And let's not forget this guy...

And this girl...

And we also get two classic shots that stay with us through the opening sequence

This one of Rick on the pedicab...

And who could forget...
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Little Garwood »

Hope my reply is seen after Styles’ pictographic blitzkrieg! :wink:

Ki’i’s Don’t Lie. It perfectly encapsulates everything I fondly remember about my two favorite childhood TV shows. It’s one of the fondest memories I have of an otherwise checkered childhood. The episode coincided with a high point of everything that was going on in my life at the time. Ki’i’s Don’t Lie is especially enjoyable because my childhood heroes actually interact. My only regret is that there weren’t subsequent Magnum-Simons adventures, making this crossover all the more special.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:32 pm Hope my reply is seen after Styles’ pictographic blitzkrieg! :wink:

Ki’i’s Don’t Lie. It perfectly encapsulates everything I fondly remember about my two favorite childhood TV shows. It’s one of the fondest memories I have of an otherwise checkered childhood. The episode coincided with a high point of everything that was going on in my life at the time. Ki’i’s Don’t Lie is especially enjoyable because my childhood heroes actually interact. My only regret is that there weren’t subsequent Magnum-Simons adventures, making this crossover all the more special.
I saw it!

Love that episode too. The version with the ending where they get away is difficult to find these days. Think it was only on the DVDs, right?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:50 pmLove that episode too. The version with the ending where they get away is difficult to find these days. Think it was only on the DVDs, right?
Yeah, I have the “Morgan Fairchild gets away” version on the double-sided DVD which is possibly the only instance for which I am grateful to own a double-sided DVD. The picture quality on this disc looks better than the later, single-sided DVD of the MPI-Simons episode.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:56 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:50 pmLove that episode too. The version with the ending where they get away is difficult to find these days. Think it was only on the DVDs, right?
Yeah, I have the “Morgan Fairchild gets away” version on the double-sided DVD which is possibly the only instance for which I am grateful to own a double-sided DVD. The picture quality on this disc looks better than the later, single-sided DVD of the MPI-Simons episode.
I've got the same double sided discs. Best thing about that product, for sure.

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by eagle »

I bought the 8-season set and found that it did not have the Ki'i's Don't Lie 2-parter (it only has the syndicated version), so I bought the standalone double-sided season 1 set on eBay -- literally just to have that one episode.

Anyway, it's hard for me to pick a favorite episode, but the pilot movie ("Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii") is definitely high on my list.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

It's got to be "Did You See the Sunrise?" What else?!

Followed closely by "Memories are Forever" and the pilot. It's all about those 'Nam experiences for me.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#11 Post by ☨magnum.t »

J. Digger for sure and the pilot episode.
That reminds me of the time....

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by eagle »

☨magnum.t wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:44 am J. Digger for sure and the pilot episode.
Yes, J. Digger Doyle is another favorite.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#13 Post by Magnum4eva »

Too many to list so I'll try to just list one for the sake of the thread: Operation: Silent Night. A perfect foursome episode that was all about the chemistry that Tom, John, Roger and Larry had in spades. This was a cast that could never be topped, man.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#14 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Home from the sea with Limbo a close second - I guess I like the more serious episodes

MikeS
Admiral

#15 Post by MikeS »

The pilot was and still is excellent, the beginning of what would become one of my favorite TV shows...

The paired episodes with S&S and MSW are very fun to watch... Lest We Forget is also a great episode.

The two episodes with Magnum's first wife's legs and his future wife punked out are fun viewing too :)

Take a look at the varied guest stars, just seeing some of the many faces that appeared on MPI make any of those episodes worth watching.
MikeS