CBS Canceled the Reboot

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: CBS Canceled the Reboot

#31 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:01 pm
I think a lot of it was just good-natured ribbing (I know T.Q. posted a lot of "mini-Mag" pics which I found amusing) but some people took it personally and treated it as a personal attack. As I always say - it's just a TV show. No harm done. It's not like anyone was actually stopping folks from discussing the reboot or reviewing the episodes they had just seen. But if someone wants to chime in and make fun of "Shiggins" then so be it. :lol: That's what these boards are for. To have some fun.
We went pretty hard with the jokes and mockery when the reboot was announced and then into the first season once episodes started to air.

Available Internet Options for Newbies: Ignore "trolls" (if you thought classic MPI fans venting and joking were trolls), block or mute anyone you wish (won't see their posts), wait it out because you know things die down (I never watched the show after first half of season 1 so why would I keep joking about it), or get thicker skin and a sense of humour.

That said, I feel bad posters actually left the board over our childish behaviour.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#32 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:49 pm
I think a lot of it was just good-natured ribbing (I know T.Q. posted a lot of "mini-Mag" pics which I found amusing) but some people took it personally and treated it as a personal attack. As I always say - it's just a TV show. No harm done. It's not like anyone was actually stopping folks from discussing the reboot or reviewing the episodes they had just seen. But if someone wants to chime in and make fun of "Shiggins" then so be it. :lol: That's what these boards are for. To have some fun.
We went pretty hard with the jokes and mockery when the reboot was announced and then into the first season once episodes started to air.

Available Internet Options for Newbies: Ignore "trolls" (if you thought classic MPI fans venting and joking were trolls), block or mute anyone you wish (won't see their posts), wait it out because you know things die down (I never watched the show after first half of season 1 so why would I keep joking about it), or get thicker skin and a sense of humour.

That said, I feel bad posters actually left the board over our childish behaviour.
Hey TQ, you watched more of the reboot than I did! I gave up in the middle of the fourth episode, if I recall correctly. Maybe it was the third, and I don’t remember much at all about the stories.

I think the tipping point in these kind of situations, online or in person, happens when people ask for the repeated jokes to end but others choose to keep doing it. At that point it becomes less about the joking and more about simply trying to be respectful. Most people can take some ribbing but everyone has a limit. When someone asks for it to stop and is ignored, they likely see it as disrespectful.

In this case particularly the jokes were posted specifically in the reboot threads that others were trying to enjoy. It just becomes more personal, I think. If the roles were reversed, I would certainly find it annoying after a while if others continually posted crass comments or made fun of MPI topics we were discussing.

I didn’t want to call out any members by name, but did want to point out that we lost some members because of it, including some pretty active members.

On a positive note, I did see Bondtoys recently posted that he is willing to make and sell at cost the last few Get Wet! caps he has. :magnum: Maybe some day he’ll come back. :D

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#33 Post by Magnum4eva »

Amian wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:42 am
Magnum4eva wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:38 pm
Amian wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:16 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:15 pm Bondtoys enjoyed the new series, among others. He’s the one who made the cool Get Wet hats that various members were able to buy. He left the forum and it’s too bad for all of us. He had a friend who toured Pahonu when it was for sale and was able to get a few architectural pieces from the estate, and lots of photos. When I contacted him, he said he got tired of all the wisecracks and negative comments members would make on the reboot thread, members who never went on that thread other than to criticize. I don’t blame him at all, but it’s the forum’s loss. He was a great contributor, a big fan of the original series and he enjoyed the reboot. Some members couldn’t seem to understand that liking both was possible.
I've got to admit this is sort of what happened to me. I love the original series, enjoyed the reboot, and thought MM would be the place to chat about new episodes, but the trolling and negativity dominated the mood, so I stopped visiting. Didn't seem so welcoming, which bummed me out.
Sorry to hear that. I refused to ever watch the reboot myself and I certainly wish it never existed but I wouldn't go on that thread to bash it for the people that actually like it. I rather just stay on the real Magnum's thread and focus on the show I love. I think people who hated the reboot should stay focused on the Magnum thread and for the people who enjoyed the reboot to stay on the reboot thread and for those who like both to know go in the reboot or regular side with caution that way there's no drama.
Thank you. I agree with your sentiments completely regarding the forum. If you liked the reboot, it was difficult to enjoy the section dedicated to it on Magnum Mania. MM seems like the natural host for a fan forum about the reboot, so I was glad to see that one was made (thanks Conch), but it became obvious quickly that the majority of posts were dedicated to mockery and complaints. Even amongst the members who were vocal about liking the reboot, not a single one ever said it was better than the original, so it wasn't as if there was some sort of argument about which version is superior. Everyone knows the 80s version will always be the best. But I guess "there can be only one" for some people. So it goes!
Well, I won't pretend that I'm not in the "there can only be one" camp, but like I said everyone should be allowed to feel whatever they feel and like what they want without hassle. Just good old fashioned courtesy and respect in today's less than courteous and respectful world.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#34 Post by Magnum4eva »

Magnum4eva wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:38 pm
Amian wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:16 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:15 pm
Chris109 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:59 pm Seeing this thread made me think of someone who constantly praised the show. Since I was out of the loop for a bit, wasn't there someone called Boyztoyz or Bondztoyz or something like that. Is he still around?
Bondtoys enjoyed the new series, among others. He’s the one who made the cool Get Wet hats that various members were able to buy. He left the forum and it’s too bad for all of us. He had a friend who toured Pahonu when it was for sale and was able to get a few architectural pieces from the estate, and lots of photos. When I contacted him, he said he got tired of all the wisecracks and negative comments members would make on the reboot thread, members who never went on that thread other than to criticize. I don’t blame him at all, but it’s the forum’s loss. He was a great contributor, a big fan of the original series and he enjoyed the reboot. Some members couldn’t seem to understand that liking both was possible.
I've got to admit this is sort of what happened to me. I love the original series, enjoyed the reboot, and thought MM would be the place to chat about new episodes, but the trolling and negativity dominated the mood, so I stopped visiting. Didn't seem so welcoming, which bummed me out.
Sorry to hear that. I refused to ever watch the reboot myself and I certainly wish it never existed but I wouldn't go on that thread to bash it for the people that actually like it. I rather just stay on the real Magnum's thread and focus on the show I love. I think people who hated the reboot should stay focused on the Magnum thread and for the people who enjoyed the reboot to stay on the reboot thread and for those who like both to know go in the reboot or regular side with caution that way there's no drama.
Well, tbh I wouldn't know because I stay clear from the reboot thread Lol. But I have to say the fact that "Shiggins" is a thing makes me sick to my stomach BLECH!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:59 pm
Hey TQ, you watched more of the reboot than I did! I gave up in the middle of the fourth episode, if I recall correctly. Maybe it was the third, and I don’t remember much at all about the stories.

I think the tipping point in these kind of situations, online or in person, happens when people ask for the repeated jokes to end but others choose to keep doing it. At that point it becomes less about the joking and more about simply trying to be respectful. Most people can take some ribbing but everyone has a limit. When someone asks for it to stop and is ignored, they likely see it as disrespectful.

In this case particularly the jokes were posted specifically in the reboot threads that others were trying to enjoy. It just becomes more personal, I think. If the roles were reversed, I would certainly find it annoying after a while if others continually posted crass comments or made fun of MPI topics we were discussing.

I didn’t want to call out any members by name, but did want to point out that we lost some members because of it, including some pretty active members.

On a positive note, I did see Bondtoys recently posted that he is willing to make and sell at cost the last few Get Wet! caps he has. :magnum: Maybe some day he’ll come back. :D
Some valid points.

Sometimes you also just gotta learn to ignore stuff though.

Higgins would have left Robin's Nest after 6 months if he couldn't put up with Magnum's childish antics. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:higgins: :magnum:

Serenity Now!

And yes. Bondtoy should come back. Even if Minimag is picked up, I'm pretty sure no one is "trolling" those episode threads anymore and he probably would enjoy the 40th Anniversary Watch Party.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

The reasons for my departure have been laid out here:

https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4302

It has nothing to do with trolling and perceived „humor“.

I have no reason to change my decision from 1 1/2 ago.
Best wishes to everyone!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by T.Q. »

I don't think anyone wants to rehash this old stuff.

Live and let live.