Pics of the old estate

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

Pics of the old estate

#1 Post by perfectlykevin »

I was one island for all of one day for a job interview on the 17th. With any luck I will be gainfully employed on Oahu in a few months. While I was there I had a few hours so, naturally I went to see the place. I was there about 12 years ago and wanted to see the current progress of the new place...

I found the sign interesting, implying the possibility of more than one place now? Unit one as labeled...

It looks like what was the "Guest House" but was in reality a storage place for boats etc. (I think) has been saved and renovated. The exterior looks like it has a new "coating" as I don't know what else to call it, and has new windows or something installed.

The old gate, which I wanted to get a shot of seems gone, or at least temporarily removed...

I expected some folks to tell me not to take pics but no one did, and there were workmen going in and out of the place. Still I didn't want to overstay what welcome I presumed so I went to back. Wanted to see the tidal pool, but was in interview clothes and didn't have the swim trunks needed as the water was high that day. I would have risked my phone and thus return flights had I drop it in seawater so I some from distance

From the side of the Shiner's Beach Club...

And from a lookout further south, and obviously past what was TC's pier for Island Hoppers...

You can see the rocks have been piled much higher than I ever remember seeing it, and like I said the water must have been at or near high tide that day and yet it still doesn't come up near the top of the tidal pool rocks. It does conform to the shape and opening we are used to seeing. I know in the past that a group worked on piling more rock up to maintain the turtle enclosure, so who knows who is responsible for that.

With any luck I will be back on island living there full time and can report more. I might even ask the new owners if they need a live-in security consultant. :D

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Pics of the old estate

#2 Post by Pahonu »

perfectlykevin wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:06 am I was one island for all of one day for a job interview on the 17th. With any luck I will be gainfully employed on Oahu in a few months. While I was there I had a few hours so, naturally I went to see the place. I was there about 12 years ago and wanted to see the current progress of the new place...

I found the sign interesting, implying the possibility of more than one place now? Unit one as labeled...

It looks like what was the "Guest House" but was in reality a storage place for boats etc. (I think) has been saved and renovated. The exterior looks like it has a new "coating" as I don't know what else to call it, and has new windows or something installed.

The old gate, which I wanted to get a shot of seems gone, or at least temporarily removed...

I expected some folks to tell me not to take pics but no one did, and there were workmen going in and out of the place. Still I didn't want to overstay what welcome I presumed so I went to back. Wanted to see the tidal pool, but was in interview clothes and didn't have the swim trunks needed as the water was high that day. I would have risked my phone and thus return flights had I drop it in seawater so I some from distance

From the side of the Shiner's Beach Club...

And from a lookout further south, and obviously past what was TC's pier for Island Hoppers...

You can see the rocks have been piled much higher than I ever remember seeing it, and like I said the water must have been at or near high tide that day and yet it still doesn't come up near the top of the tidal pool rocks. It does conform to the shape and opening we are used to seeing. I know in the past that a group worked on piling more rock up to maintain the turtle enclosure, so who knows who is responsible for that.

With any luck I will be back on island living there full time and can report more. I might even ask the new owners if they need a live-in security consultant. :D
At least one of the new owners likely has security already… Secret Service security. :lol:

You are correct that the property will have more than one home, three in fact.

Also, the entrance to the property has been moved farther east nearer the center of the perimeter wall.

The gatehouse is what is seen in your photos and it has remained and been somewhat restored it seems.

The boathouse used in the show as the guesthouse has also remained but is more hidden behind the enlarged sea walls.

Thanks for the pictures and good luck with your job hunt! :magnum:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks for the pics! And wish you the best of luck on your job hunt.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by perfectlykevin »

Thanks guys! Hoping to be back there in a couple of months to begin work. Once I do I hope to make it Waimanalo more often for swimming and report more. :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

Hey Pahonu...

Looking at the first photo.we see the address as 41-509
The original address was 41-505..So just a guess the new addresses for GIS purposes would be 505..507..509

Pahonu

#6 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:58 am Hey Pahonu...

The original address was 41-505..So just a guess the new addresses for GIS purposes would be 505..507..509
That makes sense. I hadn’t thought about it, but it sounds right to me.

What are the property numbers on either side? The Shriners and the single house on the narrow property?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Sam »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:31 am

What are the property numbers on either side? The Shriners and the single house on the narrow property?
The Shriners is 41-525 and the narrow property is 41-497..

Pahonu

#8 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:48 am
Pahonu wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:31 am

The Shriners is 41-525 and the narrow property is 41-497..
None of those are the same so I think you nailed it. :magnum:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Nice catch Perfectlykevin ! Very good quality pics indeed. Glad to see that the guardhouse had survived, at least for its most visible part.

Too bad you didn't take your bathing gear under your work suit ! 8)
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by perfectlykevin »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:42 pm Nice catch Perfectlykevin ! Very good quality pics indeed. Glad to see that the guardhouse had survived, at least for its most visible part.

Too bad you didn't take your bathing gear under your work suit ! 8)
I wish I had enough time! Hopefully next time it will be a leisurely afternoon. :)

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#11 Post by Aloha Friday »

Cool pictures of what looks like restoration of the gate house and the "guest" house. At least they are preserving that part. I wonder if they kept the gate. I was there in 2018 and the main house was already gone. I wanted to jump the fence and see if I could find a piece of the old place for a souvenir, but I chickened out. I regret not getting a piece of the old house...a brick, or piece of stucco.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by perfectlykevin »

Aloha Friday wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:12 am Cool pictures of what looks like restoration of the gate house and the "guest" house. At least they are preserving that part. I wonder if they kept the gate. I was there in 2018 and the main house was already gone. I wanted to jump the fence and see if I could find a piece of the old place for a souvenir, but I chickened out. I regret not getting a piece of the old house...a brick, or piece of stucco.
I was there last week, and from what I saw the gate was removed, but I have no idea if that is a temporary thing or if it means the builders will install something new. I am there about once every two weeks so will keep an eye on it. :)

Pahonu

#13 Post by Pahonu »

perfectlykevin wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:26 pm
Aloha Friday wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:12 am Cool pictures of what looks like restoration of the gate house and the "guest" house. At least they are preserving that part. I wonder if they kept the gate. I was there in 2018 and the main house was already gone. I wanted to jump the fence and see if I could find a piece of the old place for a souvenir, but I chickened out. I regret not getting a piece of the old house...a brick, or piece of stucco.
I was there last week, and from what I saw the gate was removed, but I have no idea if that is a temporary thing or if it means the builders will install something new. I am there about once every two weeks so will keep an eye on it. :)
I look forward to the updates! :magnum:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

perfectlykevin wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:58 am Thanks guys! Hoping to be back there in a couple of months to begin work. Once I do I hope to make it Waimanalo more often for swimming and report more. :)
Hi perfectlykevin,
I was under the impression that the estate was part of a area, a Hawaiian Beverly Hills if you will, where there was one big estate after another, the beaches all private.
So is there a stretch of public land where you can access the tidal pool? I always thought that if I ever got to Hawaii it would be fun to swim there even if the old
estate is gone. So how does one access it now?
I fear in the future that when an ex president moves in, who is apt to host heads of state and assorted VIPS, that the whole area will be off limits forever.
If I lived in the area I'd take that swim in the tidal pool much sooner than later. Rest assured there are already Feds there monitoring the building
of the new house, to make sure no listening or other devices are planted in it.
Once the house is finished you can count on Secret Service boats shooing away any civilian craft that comes near as they did for President Bush's waterfront Maine home.

Contrast that with Harry Truman, who left DC after Ike was sworn in, driving himself and Bess back home to Missouri. No fanfare no nothing,
stopping at roadside diners, pumping his own gas.
Once he got home he went right to work cleaning up his long neglected yard as neighbors strode past waving hello. One stopped and
admired the now squared away yard, saying "Well Harry it just goes to show you what the good Lord can do."
Truman stopped weeding, wiped the sweat from his brow and said, "Well you should have seen it when the Lord had it on his own."

Pahonu

#15 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:24 am
perfectlykevin wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:58 am Thanks guys! Hoping to be back there in a couple of months to begin work. Once I do I hope to make it Waimanalo more often for swimming and report more. :)
Hi perfectlykevin,
I was under the impression that the estate was part of a area, a Hawaiian Beverly Hills if you will, where there was one big estate after another, the beaches all private.
So is there a stretch of public land where you can access the tidal pool? I always thought that if I ever got to Hawaii it would be fun to swim there even if the old
estate is gone. So how does one access it now?
I fear in the future that when an ex president moves in, who is apt to host heads of state and assorted VIPS, that the whole area will be off limits forever.
If I lived in the area I'd take that swim in the tidal pool much sooner than later. Rest assured there are already Feds there monitoring the building
of the new house, to make sure no listening or other devices are planted in it.
Once the house is finished you can count on Secret Service boats shooing away any civilian craft that comes near as they did for President Bush's waterfront Maine home.
Hey Dobie,
The estate front gate is right on Kalanianaole Hwy. not in some kind of wealthy enclave. There are a series of narrow properties to the east with smaller homes, though not inexpensive by any stretch. Pahonu was actually assembled in the early 30’s by the purchase of a series of smaller properties. The Shriners Club is just to the west and the beach can be accessed from the parking lot beyond that property. All beaches in Hawaii are open to the public by state law, just as they are in California and some other states, but not all. There are no private beaches there.

The topic has been discussed in another thread, but I described the circumstances of Richard Nixon’s retirement to his beach home in San Clemente, California after Watergate. It was near a state campground and always had beach goers present. My wife’s grandmother was among them and recalled that the Secret Service would grow in number if he was in residence. She said they would not tell people to simply leave, as they legally couldn’t, but if one chose to put down a blanket too close by, they would remain there to monitor you. Ultimately most people would give a wide berth but occasionally Secret Service could be seen standing down on the sand in their suits!