Reason why TM goes by Thomas not Tom

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

Reason why TM goes by Thomas not Tom

#1 Post by Mark de Croix »

Contrary to American custom TM goes by Thomas not Tom. Only one significant other calls him, "Tom." However there is good reason for this. What do you think? (It's not because he has a military background. :geek: )

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re: Reason why TM goes by Thomas not Tom

#2 Post by Gorilla Mask »

This is a very good question and a bit of a mystery. If instead of "Thomass", the pronunciation had been "Thoma", I would have leaned towards saying that it had to do with his past shared with French relatives...(His wife Michèle, Philippe 'La Bulle'...).
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

I’m going to throw out a thought I’ve actually had for a long time but haven’t considered in years, until this interesting question. Bear with me, because this has to do with linguistics, particularly spoken language, and I learned about the concept reading a book on the topic. (Yes, boring for many, including my wife :roll: )

Both the actor and character share a first name, but have last names that begin with the same letter as the final letter of the full name and its shortened form. Hope I was clear on that. So, it follows that Tom Selleck is almost exclusively referred to by Tom because Thomas Selleck, said aloud, requires an awkward pause to say it clearly. Tom Magnum requires the same pause when said aloud, while Thomas Magnum flows better. Hope that made sense to someone. :shock: It actually helps if you reread this paragraph aloud from So...

Wow, I’ve thought too much about this show! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:03 pm I’m going to throw out a thought I’ve actually had for a long time but haven’t considered in years, until this interesting question. Bear with me, because this has to do with linguistics, particularly spoken language, and I learned about the concept reading a book on the topic. (Yes, boring for many, including my wife :roll: )

Both the actor and character share a first name, but have last names that begin with the same letter as the final letter of the full name and its shortened form. Hope I was clear on that. So, it follows that Tom Selleck is almost exclusively referred to by Tom because Thomas Selleck, said aloud, requires an awkward pause to say it clearly. Tom Magnum requires the same pause when said aloud, while Thomas Magnum flows better. Hope that made sense to someone. :shock: It actually helps if you reread this paragraph aloud from So...

My friend, you have just broken the emotion of thousands of French people! It's true that the French public particularly appreciated the fact that the hero didn't have an American-style diminutive but rather a "Frenchie" name. This helped the popularity of the show in France; I think... :roll:

Pahonu

#5 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:21 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:03 pm I’m going to throw out a thought I’ve actually had for a long time but haven’t considered in years, until this interesting question. Bear with me, because this has to do with linguistics, particularly spoken language, and I learned about the concept reading a book on the topic. (Yes, boring for many, including my wife :roll: )

My friend, you have just broken the emotion of thousands of French people! It's true that the French public particularly appreciated the fact that the hero didn't have an American-style diminutive but rather a "Frenchie" name. This helped the popularity of the show in France; I think... :roll:
:oops: :cry:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:45 pm

Take it easy ... :D The fact that TM drove a Ferrari car was surely appealing too among our italian friends !!

Pahonu

#7 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:52 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:45 pm

Take it easy ... :D The fact that TM drove a Ferrari car was surely appealing too among our italian friends !!
I’m fine. :D
I had no idea about the French preference for full names.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Mark de Croix »

Hi guys,
Pahonu, your linguistics post is quite clear; no re-reading necessary. Both you and Gorilla Mask pose an interesting perspective on the question by pronunciation. I hadn’t thought of it, but let me resort to linguistics to show that actually “Tom” not “Thomas” would normally be the named used.

Typically in English, first names fewer in syllables than one’s surname together result in more pleasing or effective names. So Tom Brady is more memorable than Thomas Brady and the same if the surname is Magnum. :lol: (Remember “Thomas Magnum” is already frozen in our collective memories, so you might question my assertion—but that’s ok because when the real reason for “Thomas” is revealed, I am confident that you will agree. Not accidental nor a whim by the screen writers nor are we taking about formal introductions socially, of course.)

If you please humor me and then just for fun, I would like a bit more discussion before revealing the answer. Please excuse me I know you are more expert about MPI than me, truly, but sometimes newbies in any field see things that the veterans don’t. To assure you this thread is well intended and worth discussing, let’s be sure we agree on this: You surely agree that not only US American culture valorizes informality and relations on a first-name basis, but we also instinctively want to use nicknames for people. I assume you agree so thank you for your input. Can we or anyone come up with another idea for Thomas rather than Tom? (Please note the name of the TV program is not the answer. The name does not mean that Tom cannot be used in informal situations.)

Pahonu

#9 Post by Pahonu »

I don’t know that we can ever come up with a definitive answer, but it’s fun to discuss. The pleasantness of a name combination certainly may have played a role, though it’s perhaps more subjective than the linguistic phenomenon I had read about. Americans do seem to have a preference for diminutive forms of names.

Anecdotally, I have noticed in my teaching career more students requesting the use of their full first names than when I started teaching over 25 years ago. As I made seating charts in the past, I would ask the students preference, but usually the diminutive was preferred. I actually had a student last year who preferred Thomas so that was on the seating chart. This year I have a Joshua and Brianna and I’m sure there are more if I think about it. I’ve no idea why this would be.

Edit:

Here’s an excerpt I found from an article about the linguistic topic:

In a study, researchers from CNRS and Université de Provence, and Harvard and Trento Universities found direct evidence to support word-order constraints during language production. Specifically, the way in which participants pronounced a set of words was dependent upon the preceding word...

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#10 Post by ☨magnum.t »

How bout the little boy with an all day sucker?? haha I always think of the LaSalle sisters when I here someone called "Tommy". For me its a formal vs informal thing. My name is Christopher but i go by Chris, if I sign my name though its Christopher.
That reminds me of the time....

Pahonu

#11 Post by Pahonu »

I do remember there was at least one episode where he introduced himself as Tom Magnum. I took a mental note of it. :shock: Does anyone remember which?

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Gorilla Mask »

I am quite attracted to Pahonu's idea of pronunciation constraints. For me this is the right answer.
Of course, in the classical way in France, the full first name (except if it is definitely too long) is much more used by respect especially at the beginning of a relationship. Afterwards, with a little more intimacy, the diminutive can happen but it is rather rare except for teenagers and young adults.

But it varies a lot with the first name.

For example, I have a colleague with whom we are very close, called Valerie. In France, she would never be called 'Val' and 'Valoche' is rather pejorative.

My name is Renaud. In France, nobody would have the idea to call me Ron or Ronny.

It's actually very strange because other names are more easily shortened. Clémentine becomes Clem, Dominique, Domi, Stephane, Steph'...

Pahonu

#13 Post by Pahonu »

I agree, the nature of the relationship and it’s intimacy must play some role. That said, TV entertainment media almost always refers to the actor as Tom Selleck, while references to his character are usually as Thomas Magnum. There’s no difference in the relationship in that case. It seems my pronunciation explanation might be in play. As I think about it, many returning characters in the series call him simply Magnum. I’m thinking of Mac, Buck Green, and Maggie Poole frequently. Higgins always did. Agatha called him Mr. Magnum. Mr. White Death called him the Mag. :magnum:

I was just thinking that many of my colleagues call me only by my last name. It is how I answer the phone and sign emails, for what that’s worth. Far more men than women use my last name though. I call many of them by their last name too, but not usually the women. I have no rational for why this is so. I’m thinking about this way too much, but now I’m really curious.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Mark de Croix »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:17 pm I don’t know that we can ever come up with a definitive answer, but it’s fun to discuss. ....

Anecdotally, I have noticed in my teaching career more students requesting the use of their full first names than when I started teaching over 25 years ago. ...

Edit:

Here’s an excerpt I found from an article about the linguistic topic:

Pahonu,

Absolutely you are correct about sound combinations in a stream of speech influence their choice and production. For example, having "tin ears" (overlooking your good point) is known to lead to poor essay writing. All languages have language rhythm. And in fact hand gesturing has been found sometimes to substitute for speech in order to maintain the beat or rhythm of a stream of speech. (For example someone has a momentary loss for a word or the hand gesturing may coordinate with the language beat to facilitate speech.)

Moreover, I wanted to come back and say your earlier point about Tom-M sounds is quite good because there seems a difference that Tom Magnum is said a little less smoothly than Tom Brady. :lol: However I believe you will still agree that Tom Magnum is simply easier to say than Thomas Magnum. In English due to its type of rhythm sound reductions are necessary (e.g. dropping of /h/ for pronouns him/ her: give 'im // give 'er). Shortening of sounds are probably found in all languages.

You say we won't be able to come up with a definitive answer. Maybe but it depends on how perfect you want an answer. I found one that is quite strong an explanation. I'm glad you're enjoying our discussion. One final note: Your seating chart for students is a formal situation; therefore students might want their full name used. That however does not counter my point that American culture customarily seek the use of nicknames for people at least in informal situations. :magnum:

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Mark de Croix »

☨magnum.t wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:45 pm How bout the little boy with an all day sucker?? haha I always think of the LaSalle sisters when I here someone called "Tommy". For me its a formal vs informal thing. My name is Christopher but i go by Chris, if I sign my name though its Christopher.
Absolutely it's a matter of formality. So we are not surprised that TM uses Thomas during his business dealings. However just as your friends likely use Chris, so we expect TM's friends to follow in suit. But they don't. That is unusual for American culture. It can happen however. And I would like to show how/why it happens in TM's case. Thanks your post. :magnum: