All Hands on Deck! Intel needed: How close to reality is TM's financial/job situation?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re: All Hands on Deck! Intel needed: How close to reality is TM's financial/job situation?

#16 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:47 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:16 am I second Pahonu with LMAO. I appreciated both your posts, Pahonu and Styles. Thank you for that. Hell if I could change places with TM, I'm there now. Absolutely this is male fantasy maxed. And it doesn't get old, does it. :lol: :lol: The show is now ancient and the cobwebs thick at our places while we watch--but invariably it gives me a glow or some respite. I never lost sight that we deal with pure fantasy but ultimately the show must try to be realistic--the more realism, the better. Up to a point, that is. So I'm just plotting out that point. I must think that even TM found in Hawaii the employment market for young professionals extremely tight. Again thanks.
I understand your point, and it is fun to think about these things. It actually ended up being far less fantasy because of both Bellisario’s and Selleck’s changes to Glen Larson’s original concept. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with that concept but it included a cliff top home and a hang glider with machine guns! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I can't even imagine the heavy wing loading and the resulting clumsy flight envelope! :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re: All Hands on Deck! Intel needed: How close to reality is TM's financial/job situation?

#17 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:42 pm
Gorilla Mask wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:14 pm Why is TM always broke? Actually, I've never really asked myself that question. I've always accepted (in the meta reality of the show...) that this aspect of things made it much easier to be hilarious and humorous. Sort of a 'breeding ground' for theatrical dialogue.

Following Styles and Pahonu advices, I think it was much more convenient and easy for the writers. If TM had had all the easy and effortless means of a Largo Winch and well, it would have been less fun, less endearing...

I always thought that the Matt Houston series with Lee Horsley (who also plays the private detective) was the antithesis of Magnum PI, even though it was worthwhile. I also remember not liking the 'high life' aspect of that show.
Great point about Matt Houston! He had all the toys, like his own helicopter and fast car and assistant. He didn’t have to beg, borrow, or cajole his friends for them, but that made for some of the greatest and most humorous interactions.
Matt Houston was a great childhood moment... Especially the music and the credits... I remember that his fame and fortune opened a lot of doors for him during his investigations. It's too bad that buying the series in France is today so expensive...
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Mark de Croix »

Hi Pahonu
>>I understand your point, and it is fun to think about these things. It actually ended up being far less >>fantasy because of both Bellisario’s and Selleck’s changes to Glen Larson’s original concept. I’m not >>sure if you’re familiar with that concept but it included a cliff top home and a hang glider with >>machine guns! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm glad you find it fun because I'm having a lot of fun too. No I don't about Glen Larson. Wow that's fantastic imagery but must be really costly production wise. Imagine the many coolies needed to carry the production equip. up the cliff each week! :lol: :lol:

Hi Gorilla Mask,

You make a good point about production. It was so good that I got an inspiration for a new thread. :wink: :wink: I’m simply curious to hear your reply but also the membership’s about what aspect, scene or episode that made you feel “these writers really know Hawaii.”

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#19 Post by ☨magnum.t »

TM's rent was free but he still had to pay his phone bill and his own gas in the Ferrari, all of his meals were on him if he wasn't "pilfering the wine cellar" lol I think Tom took his work very seriously and took great offense to anyone who belittled it. He was in Naval Intelligence and got tired of being told what to do by people he didn't agree with and that's why he transitioned to the private sector. But I would like to think even with out the good graces of Robin Masters he still would have pursued a career in Private Detective work. As pointed out on here he had a sleazy office in the red light district and drove a car that was falling apart. Similar to Rockford living in a trailer and struggling for rent. Referencing back to your question about how close to reality is that situation, its very close. Most private investigators that work on there own is feast or famine type work. Most cases being divorce cases and insurance fraud. Even though you can bill 100 dollars an hour your actual pay will be different after expenses and such. And as far as a Navy pension goes he wouldn't have gotten anything because he resigned his commission he didn't retire, back then it was 20 years or nothing essentially. I also don't see him as the type to be on VA disability.
That reminds me of the time....

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#20 Post by Pahonu »

☨magnum.t wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:44 pm TM's rent was free but he still had to pay his phone bill and his own gas in the Ferrari, all of his meals were on him if he wasn't "pilfering the wine cellar" lol I think Tom took his work very seriously and took great offense to anyone who belittled it. He was in Naval Intelligence and got tired of being told what to do by people he didn't agree with and that's why he transitioned to the private sector. But I would like to think even with out the good graces of Robin Masters he still would have pursued a career in Private Detective work. As pointed out on here he had a sleazy office in the red light district and drove a car that was falling apart. Similar to Rockford living in a trailer and struggling for rent. Referencing back to your question about how close to reality is that situation, its very close. Most private investigators that work on there own is feast or famine type work. Most cases being divorce cases and insurance fraud. Even though you can bill 100 dollars an hour your actual pay will be different after expenses and such. And as far as a Navy pension goes he wouldn't have gotten anything because he resigned his commission he didn't retire, back then it was 20 years or nothing essentially. I also don't see him as the type to be on VA disability.
Thanks for the Navy details!

I agree with the feast or famine description. Jim Rockford charged $200 a day… plus expenses a decade earlier in the 70’s. I wonder what TM’s rate was?

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#21 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I remember in the first season episode No Need To Know TM negotiated a fee with the Feds, I'll have to re watch it tonight and see what the final price was. In memories are forever he also threw away the evidence of the cheating husband because he didn't like the wife's attitude (client) wonder how many paychecks he missed due to similar circumstances?

Pahonu

#22 Post by Pahonu »

☨magnum.t wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:22 pm I remember in the first season episode No Need To Know TM negotiated a fee with the Feds, I'll have to re watch it tonight and see what the final price was. In memories are forever he also threw away the evidence of the cheating husband because he didn't like the wife's attitude (client) wonder how many paychecks he missed due to similar circumstances?
I remember that scene very well in No Need to Know, but not the rate. The Feds were on a tight expense account and slept in the airport. Magnum ends up “buying” Dobie a large orange juice. It was a good scene. I think that might be the scene where Rick quips how few days TM actually works.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Sam »

☨magnum.t wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:22 pm I remember in the first season episode No Need To Know TM negotiated a fee with the Feds, I'll have to re watch it tonight and see what the final price was. In memories are forever he also threw away the evidence of the cheating husband because he didn't like the wife's attitude (client) wonder how many paychecks he missed due to similar circumstances?
I just watched it...200 a day plus expenses.

Pahonu

#24 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:13 pm
I just watched it...200 a day plus expenses.
Same as Rockford! I wonder if that was nod to the show.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Mark de Croix »

Hi guys!
Great points and nearly all support exploring the question posed by this thread. ☨magnum.t, thanks for the intel about Navy pension. That puts more financial pressure on TM because he lives in a very expensive location, Oahu. Whether or not his Naval intelligence is a direct carry over to PI is an open question. Military intelligence consists of many different pay grades and types of work. Aside from that, Magnum still had a tough financial situation. Reason dictates that a person would likely favor secure high pay to insecure low pay work. As you point out PI work is not as glamorous as its billed. TM might have been forced into the work due to a very tight employment scene that is Oahu. :magnum:

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#26 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I would say the appeal of being ones own boss was the major factor for him choosing private detective work but his Navy experience was definitely a part of it. Sleuthing around was part of his personality. He also wanted to "make it big" on the islands. TM could have had a way better paying job doing private security but chose the lesser pay to be an investigator. I have always been curious as to what favor he did Robin Masters in order for him to let him stay on the estate rent free. There was a thread on here about it. He mentioned it in the pilot and it was never brought back up.

Pahonu

#27 Post by Pahonu »

☨magnum.t wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:50 pm I would say the appeal of being ones own boss was the major factor for him choosing private detective work but his Navy experience was definitely a part of it. Sleuthing around was part of his personality. He also wanted to "make it big" on the islands. TM could have had a way better paying job doing private security but chose the lesser pay to be an investigator. I have always been curious as to what favor he did Robin Masters in order for him to let him stay on the estate rent free. There was a thread on here about it. He mentioned it in the pilot and it was never brought back up.
I would agree that being his own boss was a major factor after the rigid hierarchy of the military.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#28 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Season 8 episode "Innocence... A Broad" Magnum gets paid $600 a day to let Rita tag along on his investigation. That is over $1000 in todays dollars.

Pahonu

#29 Post by Pahonu »

☨magnum.t wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:00 pm Season 8 episode "Innocence... A Broad" Magnum gets paid $600 a day to let Rita tag along on his investigation. That is over $1000 in todays dollars.
I’m not certain exactly of the change from 1988 but I recall that the dollar has doubled since the first half of the 90’s so it’s at least $1200 and probably a little more, maybe $1400-1500?