US Blu-ray release of the complete series, March 22nd, 2022

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Treadwell
Commander

Re: US Blu-ray release of the complete series, March 22nd, 2022

#76 Post by Treadwell »

Folks on the blu-ray.com forums are saying they used the same early 2000s masters as they've been using for everything since that time, from streaming to the DVDs. Shame. That means all the same problems.

And, just like with the DVD set, what do packaging designers have against using the established graphics stylings of the original programs? The actual logo of the show has yet again been replaced by generic cheap-looking blocky font.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Treadwell wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:44 pm Folks on the blu-ray.com forums are saying they used the same early 2000s masters as they've been using for everything since that time, from streaming to the DVDs. Shame. That means all the same problems.

And, just like with the DVD set, what do packaging designers have against using the established graphics stylings of the original programs? The actual logo of the show has yet again been replaced by generic cheap-looking blocky font.
Streaming will just use whatever episodes were used for the home video releases. As for packaging for DVD & Blu-ray sets, sometimes it seems kind of cheap & not exactly like the show itself...other times it seems pretty good. As long as the episodes themselves are in digitally remastered/restored condition, I’m usually happy with it. I know some shows’ releases claim to be the original unedited broadcast episodes...but I sometimes question that, as well. :wink: But, Blu-ray quality, especially for older shows & movies, is amazing—even compared to DVD!!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

emenius
Commander

#78 Post by emenius »

I was thinking of getting the Blu Ray release, but now having seconds thoughts specially with the finale still being the syndicated version and not how it was originally aired.

Ed

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by MaiTaiMan »

emenius wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:19 am I was thinking of getting the Blu Ray release, but now having seconds thoughts specially with the finale still being the syndicated version and not how it was originally aired.

Ed
Is the original Universal DVD set how the finale originally aired...or is that syndicated as well?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

emenius
Commander

#80 Post by emenius »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:29 am
emenius wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:19 am I was thinking of getting the Blu Ray release, but now having seconds thoughts specially with the finale still being the syndicated version and not how it was originally aired.

Ed
Is the original Universal DVD set how the finale originally aired...or is that syndicated as well?
From what I've read on this thread it's the syndicated 2 parted.

Ed

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by MaiTaiMan »

emenius wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:21 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:29 am

Ed
From what I've read on this thread it's the syndicated 2 parted.

Ed
Interesting...thanks for the info! I’ve been told by someone before that Universal had used all original uncut/unedited airings for most of their shows—including “Magnum”. But, that is obviously not true. Although they awesomely did go to great lengths and I’m sure paid a lot of money to make sure all the original music was preserved, they did use syndicated rerun versions for the episodes of Miami Vice. So, most likely other shows had syndicated versions used as well.

emenius
Commander

#82 Post by emenius »

It's a bit off topic for this thread, but would it be better to get the 2013 single side dvd release or a collection of the original single season releases? I was looking at Amazon and read the review on the issues with the single side dvd release. I'm wondering if the single season releases had the same problems reported on the single side dvd release. Thanks.

Ed

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#83 Post by Coligion »

emenius wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:50 am It's a bit off topic for this thread, but would it be better to get the 2013 single side dvd release or a collection of the original single season releases?
Generally, I'd recommend getting the single-sided discs. The double-sided discs are notorious for having playback issues (e.g. skipping). Unfortunately, the re-releases that are single sided omitted some of the extras, which was usually just episodes that would appear in later Magnum seasons. However, in the original season 1 DVD release, they do include the full crossover episode to "Ki's Don't Lie" called "Emeralds are not a Girl's Best Friend" — the two-parter that finished on Simon & Simon. This is left out on the single-sided release, and the only way to see the full two-parter; season 7's crossover "Magnum on Ice / Novel Connection" remains unaffected and intact on both releases. Another negative for the single-sided discs is, I have read the video encoding is slightly worse, so the picture quality takes a small hit. This is just anecdotal though, I haven't confirmed this on my end.

emenius
Commander

#84 Post by emenius »

Thank you. I bought the original season 1 discs many, many, many years ago and I have the bonus disc with the Simon & Simon crossover episode. I purchased the single sided box set because of the issues the double sided discs have. Happy with the purchase. I'm on season 4 now and noticed there were a lot of episodes that I didn't get to watch. I guess the syndication package I saw in the 90's didn't have all the episodes, so I find myself enjoying it more. Although it could just be my memory going on me.

Ed

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I have all the original Season DVD sets as each was released, and I’ve never had any problems with playback whatsoever. For the time, and compared to all my old VHS tapes of syndicated reruns, I thought they were amazing...and still do! :D However, with several other older TV shows that I’ve noticed how much more improved with color, picture quality and sound they were with Blu-ray (compared to DVD), I’ve seriously considered getting “Magnum”...the only draw back being the complete series set doesn’t include the crossover episodes (with Murder, She Wrote and Simon & Simon). But, I could always refer back to the DVD sets for those when needed...still on the fence. :?: :P

emenius
Commander

#86 Post by emenius »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:24 am I have all the original Season DVD sets as each was released, and I’ve never had any problems with playback whatsoever. For the time, and compared to all my old VHS tapes of syndicated reruns, I thought they were amazing...and still do! :D However, with several other older TV shows that I’ve noticed how much more improved with color, picture quality and sound they were with Blu-ray (compared to DVD), I’ve seriously considered getting “Magnum”...the only draw back being the complete series set doesn’t include the crossover episodes (with Murder, She Wrote and Simon & Simon). But, I could always refer back to the DVD sets for those when needed...still on the fence. :?: :P
That was my apprehension on getting the bluray. It didn't have the crossover episode with Murder She Wrote and that all of the 2 hour episodes where the syndicated cut version. The single sided box set I got didn't have the crossover episode with Simon & Simon and the original version of Ki'i's Don't Lie.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by MaiTaiMan »

emenius wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:05 am
MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:24 am I have all the original Season DVD sets as each was released, and I’ve never had any problems with playback whatsoever. For the time, and compared to all my old VHS tapes of syndicated reruns, I thought they were amazing...and still do! :D However, with several other older TV shows that I’ve noticed how much more improved with color, picture quality and sound they were with Blu-ray (compared to DVD), I’ve seriously considered getting “Magnum”...the only draw back being the complete series set doesn’t include the crossover episodes (with Murder, She Wrote and Simon & Simon). But, I could always refer back to the DVD sets for those when needed...still on the fence. :?: :P
That was my apprehension on getting the bluray. It didn't have the crossover episode with Murder She Wrote and that all of the 2 hour episodes where the syndicated cut version. The single sided box set I got didn't have the crossover episode with Simon & Simon and the original version of Ki'i's Don't Lie.
True...but sadly I think all the DVD & Blu-ray sets have the syndicated 2-part versions of the original 2hr episodes. This leads me to think most of the episodes used for home video are syndicated/cut/edited versions. But, at least the DVD sets include the crossovers. And Blu-ray quality for color, picture, and sound would be awesome, too. :P

emenius
Commander

#88 Post by emenius »

As great having pristine colors of the bluray set, I'm going have to stay with the dvd set.

Ed

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by MaiTaiMan »

emenius wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:02 pm As great having pristine colors of the bluray set, I'm going have to stay with the dvd set.

Ed
Totally understand...I have all the original season DVD sets, and even if I do end up getting the Blu-ray set at some point, I’ll always still keep my DVDs...for various reasons. :wink:

emenius
Commander

#90 Post by emenius »

As great having pristine colors of the bluray set, I'm going have to stay with the dvd set.

Ed
[/quote]

Totally understand...I have all the original season DVD sets, and even if I do end up getting the Blu-ray set at some point, I’ll always still keep my DVDs...for various reasons. :wink:
[/quote]

Same here, I'll get the bluray set someday. Just not today. :)

Ed