US Blu-ray release of the complete series, March 22nd, 2022

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

Re: US Blu-ray release of the complete series, March 22nd, 2022

#61 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I currently have the Mill Creek Blu-ray sets of Miami Vice and Charlie’s Angels. I must say I have been VERY pleased with the picture quality, color, and sound compared to the season DVD sets put out on those shows originally. I can definitely tell a difference!! I’m seriously considering getting the Mill Creek Magnum, pi Blu-ray set...but, my main issue that’s preventing me from purchasing it just yet, is that it doesn’t include some of the concluding crossover episodes...such as the Murder, She Wrote one, yet it has special features/documentaries discussing those crossovers. Why in the world would you have bonus features covering famous crossovers with “Magnum”...yet not even include both parts of the crossover itself?? :? I have all the original Universal DVDs of “Magnum”, which do include both parts of the crossovers with the show...so I’m on the fence on whether or not to get the Blu-ray set. :?:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hello MaiTaiMan,

Just to clarify that the Elephant Films HD version contains the second part of the 1986 crossover 'Murder sher wrote': "Magnum on Ice'.

Best regards.
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:12 pm Hello MaiTaiMan,

Just to clarify that the Elephant Films HD version contains the second part of the 1986 crossover 'Murder sher wrote': "Magnum on Ice'.

Best regards.
Thanks for the info! However, I will be honest and say a lot of times European, UK, German, or other countries DVD & Blu-ray releases outside the U.S., use even worse edited/“butchered” episodes than the U.S. ones do...at least for older TV shows. Universal sadly used syndicated rerun versions for the Miami Vice DVD sets. Subsequently, those are the versions that MillCreek used as well for the Blu-ray set. However, the foreign or outside the U.S. sets used even worse edited versions for the episodes on their sets. I am actually not sure if Universal used syndicated reruns for the original “Magnum” DVD sets, or not? But, overall I usually stick with U.S. sets if possible. But, I do have a region free Blu-ray player, so I can watch most DVDs or Blu-rays from any country if needed.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

ChrisPappas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#64 Post by ChrisPappas »

The US set has the original broadcasts, except for the pilot and five other episodes that were two hours when originally aired. Those episodes are the syndicated versions and are each missing about seven to eight minutes each, so all together, you are missing about 45 minutes of scenes that were cut. Video quality; color grooming is generally good, although film grain removal was employed which eradicates some finer details.

The UK set preserves the two hour versions, except for the last episode. Color grooming is off, some episodes are sharp while other are extremely soft, very inconsistent.

The German DVD has the last episode in two-hour format, although slightly modified with frames with the english episode title removed and another scene inserted with the German title. Oddly, a freeze frame with the part two German title card is inserted about 2/3 of the way in.

No data on the on what versions the French Elephant Films set contains, or the video quality, color grooming or noise reduction. I'm hoping someone will post some screen cap example here with notes about running times of the two hour episodes.

These are the episodes that originally aired as two hour specials:

S1E01 - Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii
S2E05 - Memories Are Forever
S3E01 - Did You See the Sunrise?
S6E01 - Deja Vu
S7E01 - L.A.
S8E12 - Resolutions

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ChrisPappas wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:11 pm The US set has the original broadcasts, except for the pilot and five other episodes that were two hours when originally aired. Those episodes are the syndicated versions and are each missing about seven to eight minutes each, so all together, you are missing about 45 minutes of scenes that were cut. Video quality; color grooming is generally good, although film grain removal was employed which eradicates some finer details.

The UK set preserves the two hour versions, except for the last episode. Color grooming is off, some episodes are sharp while other are extremely soft, very inconsistent.

The German DVD has the last episode in two-hour format, although slightly modified with frames with the english episode title removed and another scene inserted with the German title. Oddly, a freeze frame with the part two German title card is inserted about 2/3 of the way in.

No data on the on what versions the French Elephant Films set contains, or the video quality, color grooming or noise reduction. I'm hoping someone will post some screen cap example here with notes about running times of the two hour episodes.

These are the episodes that originally aired as two hour specials:

S1E01 - Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii
S2E05 - Memories Are Forever
S3E01 - Did You See the Sunrise?
S6E01 - Deja Vu
S7E01 - L.A.
S8E12 - Resolutions
Awesome...thanks for the info! I will definitely plan to stick with U.S. sets, I’m still just deciding if I want to get the Blu-ray set, or stick with the original DVDs. :wink:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Regarding the Elephant films version, you can refer to this topic:

**http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4616

I'm afraid that this version does not contain extended lengths for the episodes you note. I have checked yet for the pilot and for the final episode, these are seemingly unfortunately the truncated versions.

As for the quality, I find it much better than the universal DVD version. The color balance is good. The details are appreciable. The only flaw I found is the important presence of grain in the interior scenes where the contrast has been enhanced to avoid too dark scenes.

As I already mentioned to ChrisPappas:

"Episode 1.1 and 1.2 (pilot in two parts) run time (in minutes): 45:00 and 42:08;

Last (two parts) episode (8.12 and 8.13) run time : 44:49 and 44:56.

for the last episode 'resolutions', my DVD version (french too) gives 51:21 and 37:16 for a total duration of 88:37 for the DVD version and 89:45 for the Blue-Ray version (which includes the opening and closing credits unlike the DVD's)..
."
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by MaiTaiMan »

It sounds like I want to go with the Mill Creek Blu-ray set for the most complete episodes & advanced color & picture quality...but still refer back to my Universal DVDs for the concluding episodes of the crossovers (such as the MSW and S&S ones). :wink: I’ve seen the Mill Creek Blu-ray set on eBay anywhere from $90-110. So, I’ll seriously consider it. :D

albert_m
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#68 Post by albert_m »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:04 am I currently have the Mill Creek Blu-ray sets of Miami Vice and Charlie’s Angels. I must say I have been VERY pleased with the picture quality, color, and sound compared to the season DVD sets put out on those shows originally. I can definitely tell a difference!! I’m seriously considering getting the Mill Creek Magnum, pi Blu-ray set...but, my main issue that’s preventing me from purchasing it just yet, is that it doesn’t include some of the concluding crossover episodes...such as the Murder, She Wrote one, yet it has special features/documentaries discussing those crossovers. Why in the world would you have bonus features covering famous crossovers with “Magnum”...yet not even include both parts of the crossover itself?? :? I have all the original Universal DVDs of “Magnum”, which do include both parts of the crossovers with the show...so I’m on the fence on whether or not to get the Blu-ray set. :?:
They don't include the crossover episodes (from the respective other shows) because Mill Creek doesn't have the rights to those other shows. The DVDs are from Universal itself who owns all of the different shows involved.

If Universal had a deal with Mill Creek for Murder She Wrote, they likely could have included it in this set. They do include bonus episodes of Rockford Files... a Universal show that Mill Creek has also released on blu ray (the two episodes with Selleck)
The Rockford Files release looks great btw.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by MaiTaiMan »

albert_m wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:33 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:04 am I currently have the Mill Creek Blu-ray sets of Miami Vice and Charlie’s Angels. I must say I have been VERY pleased with the picture quality, color, and sound compared to the season DVD sets put out on those shows originally. I can definitely tell a difference!! I’m seriously considering getting the Mill Creek Magnum, pi Blu-ray set...but, my main issue that’s preventing me from purchasing it just yet, is that it doesn’t include some of the concluding crossover episodes...such as the Murder, She Wrote one, yet it has special features/documentaries discussing those crossovers. Why in the world would you have bonus features covering famous crossovers with “Magnum”...yet not even include both parts of the crossover itself?? :? I have all the original Universal DVDs of “Magnum”, which do include both parts of the crossovers with the show...so I’m on the fence on whether or not to get the Blu-ray set. :?:
They don't include the crossover episodes (from the respective other shows) because Mill Creek doesn't have the rights to those other shows. The DVDs are from Universal itself who owns all of the different shows involved.

If Universal had a deal with Mill Creek for Murder She Wrote, they likely could have included it in this set. They do include bonus episodes of Rockford Files... a Universal show that Mill Creek has also released on blu ray (the two episodes with Selleck)
Yeah, that makes sense about Mill Creek and rights to Universal shows. So, Mill Creek released Rockford Files to Blu-ray?

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:12 pm

Yeah, that makes sense about Mill Creek and rights to Universal shows. So, Mill Creek released Rockford Files to Blu-ray?
Yep, and I own ROCKFORD on Blu-Ray! :) Very well done. I've seen the first few episodes of season 1 when I bought it over a year ago. Then got sidetracked with other stuff. Need to get back to it soon. Also looking to get the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE series Blu-Ray release which I hear is fantastic!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:34 pm

Yep, and I own ROCKFORD on Blu-Ray! :) Very well done. I've seen the first few episodes of season 1 when I bought it over a year ago. Then got sidetracked with other stuff. Need to get back to it soon. Also looking to get the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE series Blu-Ray release which I hear is fantastic!
I just got the Mission Impossible Blu-ray set a couple weeks ago, and I can’t wait to check it out! But, I’m currently going through Miami Vice again. :wink:

albert_m
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#72 Post by albert_m »

Both shows look great. Mill Creek can be ify, but Rockford is just great and I love the show. Paramount did a good job with Mission Impossible. They did kind of pull a Mill Creek cost cutting move with the packaging, but whatever.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by MaiTaiMan »

albert_m wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:44 pm

Both shows look great. Mill Creek can be ify, but Rockford is just great and I love the show. Paramount did a good job with Mission Impossible. They did kind of pull a Mill Creek cost cutting move with the packaging, but whatever.
Sometimes the packaging or covers for DVD & Blu-ray sets can be “cheapy”...but, overall I’ve had good luck with Mill Creek’s episodes themselves. I recently got the Mission Impossible Blu-ray set, and I can’t wait to watch it! I’ll have to get “Rockford” sometime. :D

albert_m
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#74 Post by albert_m »

To clarify, Impossible is released directly by CBS/Paramount not Mill Creek, but has unusual packaging. From my understanding it was definitely a cost saving measure. I'm overall ok with it, but the discs fly out of the packaging way too easily.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by MaiTaiMan »

albert_m wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:19 pm To clarify, Impossible is released directly by CBS/Paramount not Mill Creek, but has unusual packaging. From my understanding it was definitely a cost saving measure. I'm overall ok with it, but the discs fly out of the packaging way too easily.
This is correct...I didn’t mean to imply that “M.I.” was released by Mill Creek—Paramount is who released it. Several shows’ releases by different companies were being discussed & compared (Mill Creek, Universal, and Paramount). Anymore, it seems box coverings & packaging for home video sets are becoming pretty cheap & flimsy. But, as long as the episodes themselves are in superb condition, I can’t complain too much. :wink: