US Blu-ray release of the complete series, March 22nd, 2022

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

Re: US Blu-ray release of the complete series, March 22nd, 2022

#91 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before...but, which Blu-ray set is best? I’ve read before that the Fabulous Films Blu-ray set from 2016 has original, uncut/unedited episodes...whereas Mill Creek’s set from this last year (and the previous DVD sets) used syndicated reruns for the episodes. But, others have said that Mill Creek’s set is better with color and picture quality. What are everyone’s thoughts?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

#92 Post by Philip Jennings »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:54 am Sorry if this has been asked/answered before...but, which Blu-ray set is best? I’ve read before that the Fabulous Films Blu-ray set from 2016 has original, uncut/unedited episodes...whereas Mill Creek’s set from this last year (and the previous DVD sets) used syndicated reruns for the episodes. But, others have said that Mill Creek’s set is better with color and picture quality. What are everyone’s thoughts?
I have the Mill Creek set and have enjoyed it so far. I'm rewatching it in order and am a little past the halfway point in Season 3.

A little more to the point of your question, but still not much of an answer: I've been comparing the episodes to what I recorded on "Charge!" as far as what was edited out. The recordings definitely have pieces edited out compared to the Mill Creek release. (And not to stray too off topic here, but I'll report my comparisons of "Charge!" and GetTV later in a different thread... the good news is MPI has a current over-the-air home on GetTV, but that's about it for the good news.)

I was hoping my Blu-ray set didn't have anything cut from the episodes, and had not heard that it does. I'm ok with how most of the 2-part episodes were split or reworked a little into separate episodes (or whatever was done with them). But aside from that, are some pieces missing from episodes on the Mill Creek Blu-ray set?

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by eagle »

Does anyone have the iTunes version in HD? Is it really HD? I might look for another sale of the iTunes version.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Philip Jennings wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:34 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:54 am Sorry if this has been asked/answered before...but, which Blu-ray set is best? I’ve read before that the Fabulous Films Blu-ray set from 2016 has original, uncut/unedited episodes...whereas Mill Creek’s set from this last year (and the previous DVD sets) used syndicated reruns for the episodes. But, others have said that Mill Creek’s set is better with color and picture quality. What are everyone’s thoughts?
I have the Mill Creek set and have enjoyed it so far. I'm rewatching it in order and am a little past the halfway point in Season 3.

A little more to the point of your question, but still not much of an answer: I've been comparing the episodes to what I recorded on "Charge!" as far as what was edited out. The recordings definitely have pieces edited out compared to the Mill Creek release. (And not to stray too off topic here, but I'll report my comparisons of "Charge!" and GetTV later in a different thread... the good news is MPI has a current over-the-air home on GetTV, but that's about it for the good news.)

I was hoping my Blu-ray set didn't have anything cut from the episodes, and had not heard that it does. I'm ok with how most of the 2-part episodes were split or reworked a little into separate episodes (or whatever was done with them). But aside from that, are some pieces missing from episodes on the Mill Creek Blu-ray set?
I’ve actually heard the Mill Creek set is syndicated cut/edited episodes. I’ve heard that Fabulous Films was original uncut episodes...but, so is Elephant Films set & it’s region free. I’m trying to figure out which is best...and I’m now leaning towards the Elephant one.
Last edited by MaiTaiMan on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#95 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

eagle wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:47 pm Does anyone have the iTunes version in HD? Is it really HD? I might look for another sale of the iTunes version.
I purchased the iTunes version the week it was released. I put a post up about it at the time. The quality is fantastic and it is in HD. The tidal pool looks amazing at the start of Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii.
Faith and Begorrah!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by eagle »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:10 am
eagle wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:47 pm Does anyone have the iTunes version in HD? Is it really HD? I might look for another sale of the iTunes version.
I purchased the iTunes version the week it was released. I put a post up about it at the time. The quality is fantastic and it is in HD. The tidal pool looks amazing at the start of Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii.
That's awesome - thanks! Even $70 isn't a bad price, really.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I’ve actually decided to go with the Elephant Films Blu-ray set...as the reviews on it, even compared to the Fabulous Films & Mill Creek sets, are awesome! Plus, it has uncut original airings (unlike all the U.S. DVD & previous Blu-ray sets, which used syndicated/edited versions), and it’s region free (unlike Fabulous Films, which is region B locked), so it can be played anywhere worldwide!

I’m starting to discover that Elephant Films is doing amazing, superb jobs with their TV show Blu-ray releases...I’m in the U.S., and I wish our own companies (Universal themselves, Mill Creek, etc...) would learn & do the same. I can’t wait to get the”Magnum” set! :D

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#98 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I bought it a few years ago when it was on sale for $30. It looks fantastic, but you don't get any extras. I kind of want to buy one of the blu-ray sets too, but I don't really need it.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by MaiTaiMan »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:39 pm
I bought it a few years ago when it was on sale for $30. It looks fantastic, but you don't get any extras. I kind of want to buy one of the blu-ray sets too, but I don't really need it.
I know some people like the streaming or online versions...but I will always have physical copies over the Internet. The quality is usually way better (even in HD), certain Blu-ray sets are uncut original airings compared to the first DVD sets & what’s available online—which lots of times used syndicated/edited versions, most things online will only be available for limited times, like you said—with real copies I usually get special features & info, and I don’t have to worry about the internet signal being weak or going out all-together. I can watch the best restored/remastered ones any time I want! :) But, to each his or her own! :D

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#100 Post by Cagliostro »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:35 pm I’ve actually decided to go with the Elephant Films Blu-ray set...as the reviews on it, even compared to the Fabulous Films & Mill Creek sets, are awesome! Plus, it has uncut original airings (unlike all the U.S. DVD & previous Blu-ray sets, which used syndicated/edited versions), and it’s region free (unlike Fabulous Films, which is region B locked), so it can be played anywhere worldwide!

I’m starting to discover that Elephant Films is doing amazing, superb jobs with their TV show Blu-ray releases...I’m in the U.S., and I wish our own companies (Universal themselves, Mill Creek, etc...) would learn & do the same. I can’t wait to get the”Magnum” set! :D
Sounds like the Elephant Films version is the way to go. Now I just have to find a place online that sells it…

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Cagliostro wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:32 am
MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:35 pm I’ve actually decided to go with the Elephant Films Blu-ray set...as the reviews on it, even compared to the Fabulous Films & Mill Creek sets, are awesome! Plus, it has uncut original airings (unlike all the U.S. DVD & previous Blu-ray sets, which used syndicated/edited versions), and it’s region free (unlike Fabulous Films, which is region B locked), so it can be played anywhere worldwide!

Sounds like the Elephant Films version is the way to go. Now I just have to find a place online that sells it…
It was kind of hard to find, but I found it on the French Amazon site: Amazon.fr...which the link can also be found on Blu-ray.com. It will give you the option to translate the site to English if needed. If I remember right, I think you can log into it with your regular Amazon account info. When you find the “Magnum” set, it first will probably bring up this huge/big box set that’s no longer available. But, if you click on the the Blu-ray option it should bring up the other/regular box set that’s available for purchase.