Magnum Mania Site Gets Love from Novelist, SEAL Jack Carr

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

Magnum Mania Site Gets Love from Novelist, SEAL Jack Carr

#1 Post by To The Regiment »

Earlier today, former Navy SEAL and best-selling novelist Jack Carr shared an anniversary post for Don't Eat the Snow: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXWMgE8Jyb ... _copy_link. "And so, on 11 December 1980 it began…"

If you follow Jack Carr, or have read any of his novels, you'll know that he's a huge Magnum fan who credits Magnum with inspiring him to become a real-life SEAL. What's interesting here is the mention of Magnum Mania in the comments. Someone commented that they found Jack Carr through the Magnum Mania website. To which Jack Carr replied "Awesome! That made my day! Thank you!"

Carr also states that he has met Selleck and that "He was fantastic!" I imagine it was a childhood dream come true for him. If you haven't checked out Carr, I encourage you to do so. Put one of his novels on your wish list this holiday season.

Best!
To The Regiment

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Re: Magnum Mania Site Gets Love from Novelist, SEAL Jack Carr

#2 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

That was me, I haven’t visited here in a while. There was too much anger over meaningless things. If you look at my location it’s the same as my Instagram handle. Poulywerrin is where I’m from. It’s a small area in a place called Connemara on the west coast of Ireland. In Irish it means “hole of iron”. There was an iron mine under it back in the day. ‘Fear” in my Instagram handle is the Irish word for man. So it literally means the man from the hole of iron….kind of self congratulatory. Anyway, Magnum Mania led me to Jack Carr; maybe Jack Carr has led me back to Magnum Mania. I’m going to have a peruse around and see if things have calmed down.
Faith and Begorrah!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:00 pm That was me, I haven’t visited here in a while. There was too much anger over meaningless things. If you look at my location it’s the same as my Instagram handle. Poulywerrin is where I’m from. It’s a small area in a place called Connemara on the west coast of Ireland. In Irish it means “hole of iron”. There was an iron mine under it back in the day. ‘Fear” in my Instagram handle is the Irish word for man. So it literally means the man from the hole of iron….kind of self congratulatory. Anyway, Magnum Mania led me to Jack Carr; maybe Jack Carr has led me back to Magnum Mania. I’m going to have a peruse around and see if things have calmed down.
Very calm theses days! Some respectful disagreements here and these but we’re all a pretty mature bunch (what’s left of us). West coast of Ireland is one of the most lovely places on earth, btw. Had the time of my life going from pub to pub back when I was a younger man. Can’t wait to return.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:00 pm That was me, I haven’t visited here in a while. There was too much anger over meaningless things. If you look at my location it’s the same as my Instagram handle. Poulywerrin is where I’m from. It’s a small area in a place called Connemara on the west coast of Ireland. In Irish it means “hole of iron”. There was an iron mine under it back in the day. ‘Fear” in my Instagram handle is the Irish word for man. So it literally means the man from the hole of iron….kind of self congratulatory. Anyway, Magnum Mania led me to Jack Carr; maybe Jack Carr has led me back to Magnum Mania. I’m going to have a peruse around and see if things have calmed down.
Paddy,
More than once I wondered what happened to you. I hope you post again.

Styles, I like your rank/credits/monicker:
Styles Bitchley
RSM, VC & Magnum wristwatch aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luther Gillis has the worst idea since Great Granddad Gillis gave those tickets to Mrs. Lincoln to see "Our American Cousin" at Fords Theater -
Luther: "Find anything out yet from Ice Man?"
Rick: "It's Ice Pick."
Luther: "What's the difference, the man's a bum. I'm kind of inclined to sneak into his steam bath and snap his towel, ya know what I mean?"

Styles Bitchley

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:19 am
Styles, I like your rank/credits/monicker:
Styles Bitchley
RSM, VC & Magnum wristwatch aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer
Thanks man. It's certainly getting a little unwieldy!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

Welcome back Fr. Paddy! I love it when creators interact with their fans. I've had a few exchanges with Dan Simmons, Tom Corcoran and David Morrell as well as a few comic artists. Social media sure makes it easier but it shows a respect for the fans.

I have had Jack Carr on my radar for a little while (he was on the Joe Rogan Experience a couple of times) but haven't had the opportunity to read anything yet. Hopefully I'll have some reading time sometime soon ...
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by To The Regiment »

Best-selling novelist and retired Navy SEAL Jack Carr celebrated #MagnumMonday on Instagram today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYRpfvCJmEb/

24,000+ views and counting. It's great to see such a popular figure sharing the Magnum gospel. It's also interesting to read some of the comments on his post, especially from other military veterans who credit TM with inspiring them to serve.

Cheers!
To The Regiment

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#8 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:55 am Terry, Dia duit mo chomhbhaill tÉireannach. I was born and raised in Galway. I live in the Midwest U.S. now. I was watching Magnum when I first thought of leaving Ireland. I was thirteen and my grandad was in Merlin Park Hospital slowly dying. I was sitting next to him looking out the window. It was in the summertime when you have the late evenings. The sky was grey, the buildings were grey, the footpath was grey, the carpark was grey, the ward was grey, the sheets were grey, and my grandad was grey. In the silence I looked up at the tv in the corner and there was the most beautiful red sports car set against this sun-kissed green landscape. I thought, "I want to live there." I remember that moment like it just happened. I had never watched Magnum before that evening, but I became an instant fan. I ended up living on Oahu for four years when I was in the Army. My kids still live there with my ex-wife so I visit twice a year. It truly is paradise. Magnum has been my favorite tv show since that night in the hospital. Over the years though it's the friendship between the the four characters that has kept me watching. It's what makes the show so special. I'll be watching reruns until they box me up and plant me.
Magnum inspired me to move to America from Ireland.
Faith and Begorrah!

Styles Bitchley

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:16 pm Magnum inspired me to move to America from Ireland.
That's pretty remarkable! Was it all you'd hoped for? I often think that living somewhere like Ireland would be amazing (with requisite visits south to the Mediterranean for some warmth). I guess the grass is always greener.

- J.Q.H.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hi Paddy and welcome back.

Did you know that "Les lacs du Connemara" (Connemara Lakes) from Michel Sardou (1981) is a great variety song success in France ?
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."