What to watch next

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Infinite Jelly Doughnuts
Ensign

What to watch next

#1 Post by Infinite Jelly Doughnuts »

New member here. Longtime fan of show.

I bought a stair machine early in covid lockdown and while working at home I’ve used it so much dozens of pounds have come off.

I binged The Rockford Files and now am just 8 episodes from completing the original series. At 800+ calories per episode (I stretch them on dvd to 50 minutes) the weight will come off.

Anyway, where do I go from here? I’ve thought of joining the 2000s by binging Sopranos or Mad Men, but I’ve gotten so used to the typical episode arc matching the workout that I’d appreciate suggestions here.

I have no real interest in the new series. Thanks.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

Re: What to watch next

#2 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Assuming your question means "other than 'Magnum, P.I.' (1980-1988)", and knowing you already are aware of the awesomeness of 'The Rockford Files' I will suggest a police comedy drama called 'Barney Miller'. It is hilarious as the writers were extremely sharp. The show survived many major cast departures and still remained as strong as before. Warning: the show does have a laugh track which annoys me.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Congratulations on the weight loss. That’s quite an accomplishment.

I’m a. It unclear too but assume you mean that you’re looking for something that a fan of Magnum and Rockford would like?

Many like the original H5O. Or what about even Columbo?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Actually,,,Simon & Simon and Riptide are maybe even better suggestions.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by 308GUY »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:21 pm Congratulations on the weight loss. That’s quite an accomplishment.

I’m a. It unclear too but assume you mean that you’re looking for something that a fan of Magnum and Rockford would like?

How about Mannix.....or Harry O.....or Streets Of San Francisco....or Burn Notice? Quincy?

Barney Miller IS great also. Barnaby Jones had it's "moments" also.

Some thoughts/suggestions to peruse. :higgins:

Bye guys! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by T.Q. »

Infinite Jelly Doughnuts wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:11 am New member here. Longtime fan of show.

I bought a stair machine early in covid lockdown and while working at home I’ve used it so much dozens of pounds have come off.

I binged The Rockford Files and now am just 8 episodes from completing the original series. At 800+ calories per episode (I stretch them on dvd to 50 minutes) the weight will come off.

Anyway, where do I go from here? I’ve thought of joining the 2000s by binging Sopranos or Mad Men, but I’ve gotten so used to the typical episode arc matching the workout that I’d appreciate suggestions here.

I've been watching original Hawaii Five-0. It's great.

Way to go on shedding the lbs.

I did the same with Magnum PI around 10 years ago. :magnum: :higgins:

Lost 70 lbs and it was also fueled by my 45min - hour a day "Schwinn" (stationary bike) to a Magnum episode (similar to your Rockford).

Trying to do it again (after putting 30 lbs back on) but it's sure getting harder with age. :|

Welcome to the board.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#7 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:22 pm Actually,,,Simon & Simon and Riptide are maybe even better suggestions.
I agree . . . they keep well with the Magnum / Rockford vibe. For a newer series I'd recommend Burn Notice.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#8 Post by Pahonu »

308GUY wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:47 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:21 pm Congratulations on the weight loss. That’s quite an accomplishment.

How about Mannix.....or Harry O.....or Streets Of San Francisco
Harry O is a favorite of mine and has a lot in common with Rockford, but is harder to find. At one point in 75/76, they filmed just down the beach from each other in Paradise Cove, Malibu. The Streets of San Francisco is very well written and also a favorite of mine.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

HAWAII FIVE-O (1968-1980), no question. Be there, aloha!

You can even join the watch-along already in progress on this site: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=659&start=765

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#10 Post by To The Regiment »

Infinite Jelly Doughnuts wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:11 am New member here. Longtime fan of show.

Congratulations on the achievement. I would humbly offer the TV series Tour of Duty from the mid-'80s. My father was a Vietnam vet, served with MACV from 1971-1972. He thought the first season of Tour of Duty was one of the most realistic portrayals of the Vietnam War he'd ever watched.

Best,
To The Regiment

Styles Bitchley

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

To The Regiment wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:02 pm
Congratulations on the achievement. I would humbly offer the TV series Tour of Duty from the mid-'80s. My father was a Vietnam vet, served with MACV from 1971-1972. He thought the first season of Tour of Duty was one of the most realistic portrayals of the Vietnam War he'd ever watched.

Best,
To The Regiment
I've actually always wanted to watch that and it totally slipped my mind for about 20 years or so...thanks!

- J.Q.H.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by To The Regiment »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:29 pm

Best,
To The Regiment
I've actually always wanted to watch that and it totally slipped my mind for about 20 years or so...thanks!
Glad to be of service. I watched the original run with my father when it was on television in the '80s. I'm planning to watch it with my two teenagers (we did the entire Magnum, PI series together) soon. I've read online reviews of the US version DVD box set. It appears they removed the original theme song (Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones) and some of the other original music and replaced it with a poor quality soundtrack. The reviews said the audio and video quality in general were poor. However, it sounds like the UK version of the DVD box set retains the original music and is a much higher quality audio/video. I haven't searched for it yet, but I'll be looking for the UK version soon.

Best,
To The Regiment

Pahonu

#13 Post by Pahonu »

To The Regiment wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:41 pm

Best,
To The Regiment
Glad to be of service. I watched the original run with my father when it was on television in the '80s. I'm planning to watch it with my two teenagers (we did the entire Magnum, PI series together) soon. I've read online reviews of the US version DVD box set. It appears they removed the original theme song (Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones) and some of the other original music and replaced it with a poor quality soundtrack. The reviews said the audio and video quality in general were poor. However, it sounds like the UK version of the DVD box set retains the original music and is a much higher quality audio/video. I haven't searched for it yet, but I'll be looking for the UK version soon.

Best,
To The Regiment
The broadcast version here in the US made the same change to the theme song and also background songs that were used. Can’t speak to the DVD though. I also watched the series in its original run though in a different way. I had several uncles serve but none of them talked about their experiences and I wanted to know more. I know that one uncle tried to watch Platoon and had to leave. He had been a door gunner in a Chinook and they were shot down. Part of the crew died and it was obviously traumatic. I never did finish the series as it changed significantly and I lost interest and moved on. Perhaps a revisit is in order.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by To The Regiment »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:56 pm

Best,
To The Regiment

Best,
To The Regiment
The broadcast version here in the US made the same change to the theme song and also background songs that were used. Can’t speak to the DVD though. I also watched the series in its original run though in a different way. I had several uncles serve but none of them talked about their experiences and I wanted to know more. I know that one uncle tried to watch Platoon and had to leave. He had been a door gunner in a Chinook and they were shot down. Part of the crew died and it was obviously traumatic. I never did finish the series as it changed significantly and I lost interest and moved on. Perhaps a revisit is in order.
Sadly, we are losing that generation of veterans. My own father died in 2004 from Agent Orange-related cancer. Were you able to record any of your uncles' stories?

Although not a TV series, the movie We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson was incredible. I actually saw it in a theater with my dad, who was already battling cancer at that point. Great portrayal of combat and bravery in Vietnam. And Sam Elliott (Sgt. Maj. Plumley) facing down the enemy charge with only his Colt M1911 still gives me shivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9JwrV0t0Qs

Sorry to get off topic. Again, I would recommend Tour of Duty as a TV series to binge watch.

Best,
To The Regiment

Pahonu

#15 Post by Pahonu »

To The Regiment wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:41 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:56 pm

Best,
To The Regiment

Best,
To The Regiment
Sadly, we are losing that generation of veterans. My own father died in 2004 from Agent Orange-related cancer. Were you able to record any of your uncles' stories?

Although not a TV series, the movie We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson was incredible. I actually saw it in a theater with my dad, who was already battling cancer at that point. Great portrayal of combat and bravery in Vietnam. And Sam Elliott (Sgt. Maj. Plumley) facing down the enemy charge with only his Colt M1911 still gives me shivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9JwrV0t0Qs

Sorry to get off topic. Again, I would recommend Tour of Duty as a TV series to binge watch.

Best,
To The Regiment
Sorry for the loss of your father. Agent Orange is a topic I discuss in my classes. I’m a high school social studies teacher and part-time US History teacher at a community college. We spend a significant amount of time on Vietnam in both settings. When I began teaching over 25 years ago, there were several veterans on staff but no longer, of course. So many of my friend’s fathers growing up were veterans as well. Now I have had several students who served in Afghanistan and Iraq, including a great student who was a medic in Fallujah. We still keep in touch and some of his stories are truly harrowing.

I actually had three uncles serve in Vietnam, but none of them ever talked about it, understandably. The little I knew was from details my aunts were told and passed on to the rest of the family. Only one of them is still alive and he lives out of state now. I really wish I knew more, but I didn’t feel right about bringing up the topic even after years of teaching. I did have a few colleagues who came back after retirement and spoke to my classes about their experiences.