Magnum Goodies

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Magnum Goodies

#31 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:09 pm I'm cursed with being a Leafs fan. I was way more of a fanatic in the Burns/Quinn eras. Recent years my interest has waned - probably because I've spent so much time outside of the country.

I've got a soft spot for the Jets too. I grew up spending summers with a bunch of kids including Jim Kyte and his brothers. Jim was older, but was around a lot and it was always cool to be hanging around with an actual NHL player!

I don't have a soft spot for the Habs, and we'll leave it at that. ;-)
I don’t even have a soft spot for hockey actually! :lol:

In some ways I probably pushed back against it because my dad was such a fan when no one else around here was. I repeat: almost NO one followed hockey in LA in the 70’s. The forum was half empty at the games we went to and I swear there were more Habs fans than Kings. I only remember them now because of the love he had for the team.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm
Yep that makes NO SENSE at all what happened with that mess! Why call it the Jets again then? Why not the Winnipeg Thrashers if it's the team from Atlanta? Either solution sucks though. The fans essentially lost a team they once had and loved. Now they have *some* team back but who/what is this team? It's like if the Flyers moved out of Philly and the Penguins moved their team to Philly. Am I supposed to be happy about that? Even if they change THAT team's name to the Flyers? Nope, it's not the same team.
Small town Winnipeg is so happy to get the team back and love their JETS.

The NHL (Bettman) is so stubborn about the failing southern American teams (poverty franchises) that I consider it lucky it happened at all.

I'm glad they "stayed" the JETS even though the whole thing is kinda strange.

It is what it is.

P.S. Apparently the ownership group was 99% close to getting the Arizona team back. Fell through last moment and they went for Atlanta.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#33 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:07 pm Very true! Long story, short, I’ve followed the Pirates since the 70’s and Willie Stargell was my hero. I’m glad those 70’s “Family” uniforms did change! :shock:
Funny thing - that odd blue and white cap TC wears infrequently reminds me of those old Pirates caps.

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:07 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:02 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm Yep that makes NO SENSE at all what happened with that mess! Why call it the Jets again then? Why not the Winnipeg Thrashers if it's the team from Atlanta? Either solution sucks though. The fans essentially lost a team they once had and loved. Now they have *some* team back but who/what is this team? It's like if the Flyers moved out of Philly and the Penguins moved their team to Philly. Am I supposed to be happy about that? Even if they change THAT team's name to the Flyers? Nope, it's not the same team.
Don't over think it. Players change, coaches change, owners change, logos change, uniforms change... It's like Jerry Seinfeld says, you're actually just rooting for clothes when you just get down to it.
Very true! Long story, short, I’ve followed the Pirates since the 70’s and Willie Stargell was my hero. I’m glad those 70’s “Family” uniforms did change! :shock:
Why was it a "family" uniform?

I always wondered how Gretzky felt leaving Edmonton (hockey country) and going to L.A. where nobody cares for the game. Must have been depressing! Imagine being the greatest hockey player of all time and nobody (or very few) even knowing who you are. He certainly didn't enjoy the name recognition that Magic Johnson (or Kareem) did in L.A.

Styles Bitchley

#35 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 pm Must have been depressing! Imagine being the greatest hockey player of all time and nobody (or very few) even knowing who you are.
Yeah. Living in LA with millions of bucks in your pocket and a wife who looks like this...

I'll take that depressing life any day of the week...
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#36 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:53 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 pm Must have been depressing! Imagine being the greatest hockey player of all time and nobody (or very few) even knowing who you are.
Yeah. Living in LA with millions of bucks in your pocket and a wife who looks like this...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pahonu

#37 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm Yep that makes NO SENSE at all what happened with that mess! Why call it the Jets again then? Why not the Winnipeg Thrashers if it's the team from Atlanta? Either solution sucks though. The fans essentially lost a team they once had and loved. Now they have *some* team back but who/what is this team? It's like if the Flyers moved out of Philly and the Penguins moved their team to Philly. Am I supposed to be happy about that? Even if they change THAT team's name to the Flyers? Nope, it's not the same team.
Don't over think it. Players change, coaches change, owners change, logos change, uniforms change... It's like Jerry Seinfeld says, you're actually just rooting for clothes when you just get down to it.
Very true! Long story, short, I’ve followed the Pirates since the 70’s and Willie Stargell was my hero. I’m glad those 70’s “Family” uniforms did change! :shock:
While the pillbox style hat was first seen at the bicentennial of the US and centennial of the National League, and by more teams than just the Pirates, the team kept it for quite a few years. I have a Barry Bonds rookie card from 86 with him wearing one. I remember when they switched back to the typical style and I bought one in high school.

The 79 champion Pirates wore them and became associated with the popular Sister Sledge song “We are Family” which was played at Three Rivers. That team is usually known as “The Family” and the uniforms were quite colorful, to say the least. Pops would give out “Stargell Stars” to fellow players after good games and they wore them on their hats. He also owned a chicken restaurant in the Hill District (where my uncle lived to explain the connection) and gave out free dinners to people in the restaurant on the nights he hit a home run. Bob Prince would announce “Chicken on the hill!” when he hit one out. It was all a lot of fun for a young boy like myself.

I’ve waited much longer for another Pirate championship than my dad did for the Habs! I still follow them after all these years.

Edit:

Here’s a great article about Stargell.

http://cowbird.com/story/252690/Chicken ... Hill_Will/

Your Phillies wore the cap in 76 too:

https://tip-of-the-cap.com/f/pillbox-caps

Stargell stars:

https://ibb.co/7vyPqzM

Pahonu

#38 Post by Pahonu »

Here’s a picture of me and my son from 2011 when we went to the Bucs game at the Big A. We beat the Angels in extras for a sweep. :D My wife took it and put it in a frame for Father’s Day. I was only 40 then with dark hair. :shock: My son is now 19 and 6-2, but I still have 6 inches on him! He played volleyball and still does at the beach... and sadly doesn’t follow the Pirates anymore. I understand my father’s disappointment in my not following the Canadiens! :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://ibb.co/37fndvj

Styles Bitchley

#39 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 pm the pillbox style hat
I just knew you'd know the term for that style of cap!

That's a classic shot of you and your kid. Certainly belongs in a frame.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#40 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:29 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 pm the pillbox style hat
I just knew you'd know the term for that style of cap!

That's a classic shot of you and your kid. Certainly belongs in a frame.
Thanks! :D I didn’t even know my wife had taken the photo. She kept it quiet until she gave me the gift.

How old now is your son from your photo? I remember the one of you holding him as an infant just inside of Pahonu’s gates. :D

I had a gold pillbox hat with a black brim as a kid I wore a lot. It was from my uncle, who took me to my first Bucs game at Three Rivers (my dad being occupied by hockey and all). :lol: I later had an all black one before they switched to the usual style when I was in high school. Those are the caps associated with their last championship though. It’s been a long wait for another!

Styles Bitchley

#41 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:26 pm
How old now is your son from your photo? I remember the one of you holding him as an infant just inside of Pahonu’s gates. :D
He's 13 now. Quite a bit bigger! Next time we're in Oahu, I'll have to do a reshoot of that shot and update my photo. Fairly certain I won't be able to hold him though! ;-)

- J.Q.H.

Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:53 pm

Eh, my wife looks better. :P But seriously, I do have a hot wife so I can't complain. Never been jealous of anyone else's wife and certainly not a celebrity wife.

Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 pm
While the pillbox style hat was first seen at the bicentennial of the US and centennial of the National League, and by more teams than just the Pirates, the team kept it for quite a few years. I have a Barry Bonds rookie card from 86 with him wearing one. I remember when they switched back to the typical style and I bought one in high school.

The 79 champion Pirates wore them and became associated with the popular Sister Sledge song “We are Family” which was played at Three Rivers. That team is usually known as “The Family” and the uniforms were quite colorful, to say the least. Pops would give out “Stargell Stars” to fellow players after good games and they wore them on their hats. He also owned a chicken restaurant in the Hill District (where my uncle lived to explain the connection) and gave out free dinners to people in the restaurant on the nights he hit a home run. Bob Prince would announce “Chicken on the hill!” when he hit one out. It was all a lot of fun for a young boy like myself.

I’ve waited much longer for another Pirate championship than my dad did for the Habs! I still follow them after all these years.

Edit:

Here’s a great article about Stargell.

http://cowbird.com/story/252690/Chicken ... Hill_Will/

Your Phillies wore the cap in 76 too:

https://tip-of-the-cap.com/f/pillbox-caps

Stargell stars:

https://ibb.co/7vyPqzM
Thanks for the info! :) I do find those pillbox hats pretty ridiculous looking. Like it belongs on a car mechanic or a hot dog/popcorn vendor. :lol:

Pahonu

#44 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:09 pm I'm cursed with being a Leafs fan. I was way more of a fanatic in the Burns/Quinn eras. Recent years my interest has waned - probably because I've spent so much time outside of the country.

I've got a soft spot for the Jets too. I grew up spending summers with a bunch of kids including Jim Kyte and his brothers. Jim was older, but was around a lot and it was always cool to be hanging around with an actual NHL player!

With all our recent talk of hockey, I couldn’t believe I saw this in my news feed! :D

Montreal Canadiens beat Vegas Golden Knights, advance to club's 1st Stanley Cup Final since 1993

Styles Bitchley

#45 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:05 am

With all our recent talk of hockey, I couldn’t believe I saw this in my news feed! :D

Montreal Canadiens beat Vegas Golden Knights, advance to club's 1st Stanley Cup Final since 1993
Yep. I’ll have to deal with gloating Hans fans honking horns and being a general nuisance for a while yet! I’m still bitter about them knocking out the Leafs.

- J.Q.H.