Magnum Goodies

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum Goodies

#16 Post by T.Q. »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:48 pm
T.Q. wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:46 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:42 pm Jays hats were always a bit dorky. They've improved the details in recent years though.
No way man!

The best. :lol:

Especially for kids and teens back in the early days. :D

And Powder Blue rules.

Now I'm reminiscing of Barfield, Moseby and Bell... Ah, the memories.
Kids yes, but teens? Not for me. I was way too cool, of course. This is so funny, I bet we brushed shoulders at some point.
A&P General Admission 'bleachers' tickets for games: $2

GO Train to the game: $4

Good times.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#17 Post by Styles Bitchley »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:32 pm A&P General Admission 'bleachers' tickets for games: $2

Good times.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by T.Q. »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:23 pm
T.Q. wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:32 pm A&P General Admission 'bleachers' tickets for games: $2

Good times.
OH MY LORD! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Memories galore with that one. WOW.

Had it too.

Thanks for sharing that.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:26 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:24 pm I still can't forgive the Blue Jays beating the Phillies in the 1993 World Series. That one hurt. Joe Carter and his homerun. :x

Of course we won in 2008 and what about the Jays? :P
That's a shame.

Sure wouldn't wanna rub that one in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
No, of course you wouldn't. :roll: I still have a Joe Carter baseball card somewhere. Might just stick it into the spokes of my bicycle wheels and pulverize it real good! :lol:

I'll hang on to my Lenny Dykstra, Darren Dalton, John Kruk, and other Phils cards.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:59 pm
No, of course you wouldn't. :roll: I still have a Joe Carter baseball card somewhere. Might just stick it into the spokes of my bicycle wheels and pulverize it real good! :lol:

I'll hang on to my Lenny Dykstra, Darren Dalton, John Kruk, and other Phils cards.
That team had so much character.

Don't know if you're a hockey fan but my biggest letdown in sport was The Maple Leafs in '92 (I think).

One goal away from Stanley Cup Finals.

Gretzky high stick no-call on Doug Gilmour late in the game (which is one thing that has to be called) then the Kings scored controversial goal to advance.

That was painful.

Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:07 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:59 pm

That team had so much character.

Don't know if you're a hockey fan but my biggest letdown in sport was The Maple Leafs in '92 (I think).

One goal away from Stanley Cup Finals.

Gretzky high stick no-call on Doug Gilmour late in the game (which is one thing that has to be called) then the Kings scored controversial goal to advance.

That was painful.
Oh I'm a hockey fan alright. Big Flyers fan! Unfortunately we were pretty awful this year. I was a huge Flyers fan during the Lindros/LeClair/Renberg era in the 90s! I'm still waiting for our Stanley Cup. Haven't had one since the one-two punch back in '74 and '75 with Bobby Clarke. But that hardly counts as I wasn't even born yet. Also waiting for the Sixers to bring home the championship. Haven't had one since 1983 when I was only 3. Not sure if that counts either LOL! Things have been looking very promising this year (we finished #1 in the East) but after last night's dismal performance against the inferior Atlanta Hawks and Joel Embiid's yet another injury I don't know if we can get past the Utah Jazz in the West. But first we need to get past the Nets in the East, which won't be easy. As for the Phils we won in 2008 and of course the Eagles are the most recent winners - 2018 Super Bowl champs (what a sweet victory over Brady and the Patriots!).

Oh yes, I still have a Doug Gilmour Maple Leafs card! And who was the goalie? Felix Potvin? I have his card too. :D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:01 pm
Oh yes, I still have a Doug Gilmour Maple Leafs card! And who was the goalie? Felix Potvin? I have his card too. :D
Potvin.

Gave up on the Leafs and their losing ways in the 90s.

Then moved away from Canada and lost interest in hockey for a while. 2000 - 2010

Now I'm a huge Winnipeg Jets fan (born in Wpg and family roots).

P.S. We sure get off topic alot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:32 am
Potvin.

Then moved away from Canada and lost interest in hockey for a while. 2000 - 2010

I actually liked the Jets too in the 90s (before they moved to Phoenix and became the Coyotes) - I'm not sure why, I think I liked their logo. Oh and they had Teemu Selanne - the Finnish Flash! :D And I liked him! I was also a big Pavel Bure fan - the Russian Rocket!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#24 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:51 pm
T.Q. wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:32 am
Potvin.

I actually liked the Jets too in the 90s (before they moved to Phoenix and became the Coyotes) - I'm not sure why, I think I liked their logo. Oh and they had Teemu Selanne - the Finnish Flash! :D And I liked him! I was also a big Pavel Bure fan - the Russian Rocket!
Since we’re already way off topic and talking hockey, I’ll take us further down the path. I am not a hockey fan at all but I’ve seen a surprising number of games in my life because my father grew up outside of Montreal. I had no say in the matter! :lol: He was a HUGE Canadiens fan until he died a few years back. The Habs were it when he grew up and he never gave up on them. Back in the 70’s my dad took me to see them play the Kings several times when they were in town. NOBODY followed hockey in SoCal in the 70’s but my dad and I were there sitting in the Forum. Almost nobody wore helmets either! That might have been his biggest disappointment. :lol: I never got into hockey. I remember they last won the cup right after I finished college in 93, and they played the Kings! He followed them into his 80’s but no more Stanley Cups. That was his first name too, Stanley. :D

Didn’t the current Jets team start in the US? I can’t recall where.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:04 pm
Well the JETS relocated to Arizona.

Then Atlanta relocated to Winnipeg.

So technically the JETS aren't really the JETS.

The old JETS' team, records and stats are really the current Coyotes' team, records and stats.

We're the Atlanta Thrashers.

It's complicated and kind of ignored though.

Often referred to as JETS 2.0, we still cite JETS 1.0 history as ours.

Styles Bitchley

#26 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I'm cursed with being a Leafs fan. I was way more of a fanatic in the Burns/Quinn eras. Recent years my interest has waned - probably because I've spent so much time outside of the country.

I've got a soft spot for the Jets too. I grew up spending summers with a bunch of kids including Jim Kyte and his brothers. Jim was older, but was around a lot and it was always cool to be hanging around with an actual NHL player!

I don't have a soft spot for the Habs, and we'll leave it at that. ;-)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:52 pm

The old JETS' team, records and stats are really the current Coyotes' team, records and stats.

Yep that makes NO SENSE at all what happened with that mess! Why call it the Jets again then? Why not the Winnipeg Thrashers if it's the team from Atlanta? Either solution sucks though. The fans essentially lost a team they once had and loved. Now they have *some* team back but who/what is this team? It's like if the Flyers moved out of Philly and the Penguins moved their team to Philly. Am I supposed to be happy about that? Even if they change THAT team's name to the Flyers? Nope, it's not the same team.

Styles Bitchley

#28 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm Yep that makes NO SENSE at all what happened with that mess! Why call it the Jets again then? Why not the Winnipeg Thrashers if it's the team from Atlanta? Either solution sucks though. The fans essentially lost a team they once had and loved. Now they have *some* team back but who/what is this team? It's like if the Flyers moved out of Philly and the Penguins moved their team to Philly. Am I supposed to be happy about that? Even if they change THAT team's name to the Flyers? Nope, it's not the same team.
Don't over think it. Players change, coaches change, owners change, logos change, uniforms change... It's like Jerry Seinfeld says, you're actually just rooting for clothes when you just get down to it.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#29 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm
T.Q. wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:52 pm

Yep that makes NO SENSE at all what happened with that mess! Why call it the Jets again then? Why not the Winnipeg Thrashers if it's the team from Atlanta? Either solution sucks though. The fans essentially lost a team they once had and loved. Now they have *some* team back but who/what is this team? It's like if the Flyers moved out of Philly and the Penguins moved their team to Philly. Am I supposed to be happy about that? Even if they change THAT team's name to the Flyers? Nope, it's not the same team.
Something very similar but even more complex happened in MLB. The original Washington Senators moved to Minnesota and became the Twins. A new Senators franchise was started and then also moved to Texas and became the Rangers. Then the Expos moved from Montreal to DC and changed their name to the Nationals. I joked back then that they were scared to call them the Senators because they would move again! Actually, the original Senators had been known as the Nationals early on. Anyway, fans move on after a few years it seems. Very few players spend more than a decade with a single team anymore.

Pahonu

#30 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:02 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm Yep that makes NO SENSE at all what happened with that mess! Why call it the Jets again then? Why not the Winnipeg Thrashers if it's the team from Atlanta? Either solution sucks though. The fans essentially lost a team they once had and loved. Now they have *some* team back but who/what is this team? It's like if the Flyers moved out of Philly and the Penguins moved their team to Philly. Am I supposed to be happy about that? Even if they change THAT team's name to the Flyers? Nope, it's not the same team.
Don't over think it. Players change, coaches change, owners change, logos change, uniforms change... It's like Jerry Seinfeld says, you're actually just rooting for clothes when you just get down to it.
Very true! Long story, short, I’ve followed the Pirates since the 70’s and Willie Stargell was my hero. I’m glad those 70’s “Family” uniforms did change! :shock:
Last edited by Pahonu on Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.