"feel/mood" of Magnum PI seasons?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

tmanwell
Ensign

"feel/mood" of Magnum PI seasons?

#1 Post by tmanwell »

Greetings everyone. I'm new to the forum. I was 17 when Magnum PI debuted, so you could say I 'grew up' watching the show. Like a lot of people (I would assume), my two favorite episodes are: S03E07 "Flashback" and S07E14 "Murder by night."

Here's my question tho...
I realize 1980 and season 1 were a LONG time ago in a tv-land far far away, but this last year during the pandemic as part of an 'escapist/unstress' regimen, I began watching a lot of older tv shows. It was basically good therapy. But when I got to Magnum PI and started with season 1, I was actually a *little disappointed. Thomas was almost portrayed in a sorta buffoonish way, and the interaction between himself and Higgins was not very enjoyable to watch. My memory (such as it is) was of slightly deeper plots.
This is what has motivated me to seek out a forum such as this where some true hardcore fans hang out ....who know the general look/feel/mood of the seasons and how they vary, etc. I'm sure that there was a lot of groundwork laying & development going on in season 1. What about the next seasons? How would you characterize ...say...seasons 2, 3 and 4 in comparison to season 1?

Not sure my question/perspective is making sense.
AND...I'll be quick to add, not trying to offend any hardcore season 1 fans.
All of the above comes from the perspective of a big Tom Selleck/original series fan.

Thanks for your thoughts.

T.M.

My Little Voice
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: "feel/mood" of Magnum PI seasons?

#2 Post by My Little Voice »

I can really relate to your comment about revisiting the show during the pandemic as an "escapist/unstress regimen." I have been watching one episode each weeknight after the kids are put to bed and it has become something I really look forward to (as lame as that may sound)!

For me, the earlier seasons had more peaks and valleys. Most of my favorite episodes are from the first 4 seasons, but most of my least favorite are as well. I do think the tone starts to change a bit during season 5. The Higgins/Magnum relationship definitely evolves as the series goes on. Their relationship is more adversarial in the early seasons and John Hillerman really plays up the snobbish and tone deaf aspects of the character. Later on in the series, like in season 7 "Paper War," even when the writers bring back the feuding between the two, they use it as a means to highlight the respect and affection the two characters have for each other.

Overall, I enjoy the subtle changes between the characters as the series goes on. It would be unrealistic to think a group of people could spend so much time together and not become closer. Magnum, Rick and TC developed their bond during Vietnam. Higgins started the series a bit on the outside, but that obviously changes as time goes on. I will say that I never cared for the "is Higgins really Robin" subplot. I feel that the tone of the earlier seasons makes it clear that Magnum and Higgins both answer to Robin and his whims. "J Digger Doyle" also makes it obvious that Higgins isn't doing the writing.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

I always appreciate the differences of appreciation we have for our favorite series.

I'm on the record for being a huge fan of the early seasons, season 1 especially. The way it was shot, the "getting to know you" aspect of Magnum and Higgins relationship, watching the respect between the two grow, it all feels right to me. I feel like later in the series they fell into a little more of a pattern. Not that there weren't great later series episodes, some of my favorites are from season 7 and 8, but I like the growth and newness we see earlier on.

And . . . welcome to Magnum-Mania tmanwell! New blood and views are always welcome in our virtual estate!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Gorilla Mask »

In France, 'Magnum PI' was a resounding success until about season 4.Maybe because these seasons are quite focused (in a certain number of episodes) on comedy and this lightness, with some good moments of drama, appealed a lot to the French audience.

I also agree to say that season 1 has a lot of "roller coaster" with some very good episodes (Never never again, China doll, Lest we forget) but also some "lead in the wing" (Beauty knows no pain, Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too, Adelaide).

Season 1 is more experimental and we can feel that the writers, directors and especially the actors are looking for their places... All this will be much more fluid from season 2 and especially from season 3 which, in my opinion, is the most balanced.

The best episodes are often either those of Bellisario or, later in the series, those produced by Selleck himself.

As the series progresses, the episodes become more 'standard' with about 1 in 3 being (often happily) experimental, or a few small masterpieces but sometimes on the creepier, sleazier and darker side (Way of the Stalking Horse, Death and taxes).

What I like the most in the first seasons is the 'time capsule' atmosphere; what attracts me the most in the last ones are the more solid and sometimes more original scenarios, in order to renew the interest for the series. It is this subtle and fragile balance that will also feed its success, later on.

My favorite episode is "Black on White" because the scenario and the pitch are fabulous with a very good guest star.

The worst is without doubt possible "Two Birds of a Feather" which is totally bankrupt... too bad!
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#5 Post by Pahonu »

I count myself as a bigger fan of the first few seasons also. I agree that season one is quite hit and miss but easily has the most of my favorite episodes. I also agree that it seems to be experimenting more with the characters and creative production decisions. I think what I like most though is just the light hearted fun of many episodes punctuated with serious dramatic moments. Later episodes seem to have much of the same seriousness with less of the light moments mixed in. Rather the episodes seem divided more into light versus serious, i.e. Legend of the Lost Art versus Death and Taxes, or The Treasure of Kalaniopu’u versus Way of the Stalking Horse. I find that in the last four seasons I tend to skip these very serious episodes a lot. Many of them are excellent drama, but I pass on them for the lighter ones or go back to the first few seasons. I would estimate that I’ve seen the earlier episodes easily three to four times as often as later ones.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#6 Post by 80s Big Hair »

When did the supernatural stuff creep into the series? By that I do not mean "A little voice in my head..." but things like solving stuff through Magnum's dreams?

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Gorilla Mask »

80s Big Hair wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:00 am When did the supernatural stuff creep into the series? By that I do not mean "A little voice in my head..." but things like solving stuff through Magnum's dreams?
IMO, Severals episodes gave the opportunity to TM to maintain his "psychic" abilities while experiencing 'dreams' or visions', and especially the ability to perceive etheral entities that wander the material world...

2.4 - The Woman on the beach
3.7 - Flashback
5.3 - Mac's Back
6.11 - Rapture
7.5 - A.A.P. I.
7.14 - Murder by Night
8.5 - Forever in time

Of course, you could add 'Limbo"(7.22) too, if you consider that being a spirit between two worlds is a Mediumship experience !

As the time past by, the later seasons let more part to these 'supernatural" fantasies and it was often well driven. We can even assume that TM's incredible intuition to solve his cases may come from some supernatural gifts... :shock:

Pahonu

#8 Post by Pahonu »

If someone adds the Tigers hat and mustache to this emoji :shock: you would have TM’s expression at the end of The Woman on the Beach. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:31 pm If someone adds the Tigers hat and mustache to this emoji :shock: you would have TM’s expression at the end of The Woman on the Beach. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good reference ! :wink:

https://ibb.co/mBjJWqF

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:36 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:31 pm If someone adds the Tigers hat and mustache to this emoji :shock: you would have TM’s expression at the end of The Woman on the Beach. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good reference ! :wink:

https://ibb.co/mBjJWqF
Oops, no hat! :D

MikeS
Admiral

#11 Post by MikeS »

No doubt MPI had its stranger moments, wonder if there's any connection to these sorts of episodes and any particular writer(s)?
MikeS

Pahonu

#12 Post by Pahonu »

MikeS wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:42 pm No doubt MPI had its stranger moments, wonder if there's any connection to these sorts of episodes and any particular writer(s)?
Flashback and Murder by Night were both written by Robert Hamilton.

MikeS
Admiral

#13 Post by MikeS »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:53 pm
MikeS wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:42 pm No doubt MPI had its stranger moments, wonder if there's any connection to these sorts of episodes and any particular writer(s)?
Thanks for the info. I'm going to see if I can find other connections with my favorite episodes, maybe a particular writer(s) also wrote for other shows.
MikeS

Pahonu

#14 Post by Pahonu »

MikeS wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:05 am
Pahonu wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:53 pm
Thanks for the info. I'm going to see if I can find other connections with my favorite episodes, maybe a particular writer(s) also wrote for other shows.
I’d be interested to see that. There are LOTS of writers to keep track of, and many episodes with multiple credits.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I know that Donald Bellisario tended to write the more "important" episodes - often serious in tone and referencing TM's past. Episodes like the pilot, Memories are Forever, Did You See the Sunrise?, Home from the Sea, Skin Deep, Black on White, Lest We Forget, etc. His episodes are ALWAYS great and among my favorites!