40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#961 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

"Home From the Sea"

Very good season 4 opener. One of the best of the season. Maybe a bit overrated because unlike most I don't consider it to be one of the top 2 or 3 of the entire series. It's a very good man vs nature character study with effective flashbacks and a real swell of emotions at the very end, but it's not one I would normally reach for very often nor is it a typical Magnum episode where there's a case to be solved. Not one I would recommend to someone who has never seen a Magnum episode and wants to get a real feel for the show. It doesn't have the classic feel of the pilot or "Memories Are Forever" or "Did You See the Sunrise?".

Still, I'd probably have to place it somewhere in my top 10. Or top 15.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#962 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:34 am "Home From the Sea"

Very good season 4 opener. One of the best of the season. Maybe a bit overrated because unlike most I don't consider it to be one of the top 2 or 3 of the entire series. It's a very good man vs nature character study with effective flashbacks and a real swell of emotions at the very end, but it's not one I would normally reach for very often nor is it a typical Magnum episode where there's a case to be solved. Not one I would recommend to someone who has never seen a Magnum episode and wants to get a real feel for the show. It doesn't have the classic feel of the pilot or "Memories Are Forever" or "Did You See the Sunrise?".

I need precise placement on a list Ivan. None of this top 10 or 15 ambiguity! :wink:

Actually, I agree with most of what you wrote. It’s a well done drama and an excellent character study, but it’s not typical MPI and I don’t watch it as frequently as many, many other episodes. I would also definitely not recommend it to someone who has never seen the show. While it’s not my absolute favorite episode, I don’t think any subsequent episode is better than the pilot itself in introducing the show. I suppose we differ because it wouldn’t be in my top 10-15 based simply on the many episodes I rewatch more frequently, perhaps top 25??? :| I actually rewatched the pilot last weekend! Must be a dozen or more viewings.

Fleet Admiral

#963 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:24 pm

I need precise placement on a list Ivan. None of this top 10 or 15 ambiguity! :wink:

Actually, I agree with most of what you wrote. It’s a well done drama and an excellent character study, but it’s not typical MPI and I don’t watch it as frequently as many, many other episodes. I would also definitely not recommend it to someone who has never seen the show. While it’s not my absolute favorite episode, I don’t think any subsequent episode is better than the pilot itself in introducing the show. I suppose we differ because it wouldn’t be in my top 10-15 based simply on the many episodes I rewatch more frequently, perhaps top 25??? :| I actually rewatched the pilot last weekend! Must be a dozen or more viewings.
Okay, it's at #13.5 to be precise. :) You asked for it!

Pahonu

#964 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:51 am
Pahonu wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:24 pm

Okay, it's at #13.5 to be precise. :) You asked for it!
LOL! :magnum:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#965 Post by T.Q. »

October 6, 1983

Luther Gillis: File #521
Episode Number: 65
Season Number: 4.2
Air Date: 10/6/1983

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#966 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:11 pm October 6, 1983

Good solid episode where Eugene Roche is the real scene stealer as Luther Gillis, probably my favorite recurring character. Granted so far this is the only Luther Gillis episode I've seen. :lol: But I just love his old-school hard-boiled PI schtick and Mag's reactions to all of this. Of course the highlight has to be when he cold cocks one of Higgy's karate dames who comes charging at him. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm much more likely to watch this episode than "Home from the Sea" which is the superior episode but this one is just a lot of fun.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#967 Post by 308GUY »

"Shove it scrungo"..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :luther: (Thanks RG for the Luther smiley!)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#968 Post by eagle »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:46 pm September 29th, 1983

Home From The Sea
Episode Number: 64
Season Number: 4.1
Air Date: 9/29/1983

This is an excellent episode, but it's hard for me to watch. I love the camaraderie and the way TC, Rick, and Higgins all have an instinct about Magnum being in trouble, but man this one is hard for me.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#969 Post by eagle »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:11 pm October 6, 1983

I gotta say, the Luther Gillis episodes are probably my least favorite episodes of all.

Fleet Admiral

#970 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

308GUY wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:58 pm "Shove it scrungo"..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :luther: (Thanks RG for the Luther smiley!)
What does "scrungo" mean anyway? Is that some old word that I'm not familiar with or something Luther made up? :lol:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#971 Post by 308GUY »

Scrungo

Urban Dictionary
https://www.urbandictionary.com › define › term=Scr...
Scrungo is just Scrungo there can only ever be one Scrungo. If there is a time where there are multiple Scrungo's Time itself will cease to exist.

"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Pahonu

#972 Post by Pahonu »

I always laugh at Luther calling Higgins “the butler” and him cold cocking the old lady running at him might be the funniest single moment of the series. :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#973 Post by T.Q. »

I used to hate the Luther episodes.

Now I like the Luther episodes.

Don’t know why.

:luther: :magnum:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#974 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:34 pm I used to hate the Luther episodes.

Don’t know why.

It's because of Hawaii Five-O. :) You watched the season 7 episode "A Woman's Work is with a Gun" and saw Eugene Roche play a verbally abusive husband who referred to women getting together as "hen conventions" :lol: and you figured "hey this Luther cat ain't that bad after all".

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#975 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:43 pm
T.Q. wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:34 pm I used to hate the Luther episodes.

Don’t know why.

It's because of Hawaii Five-O. :) You watched the season 7 episode "A Woman's Work is with a Gun" and saw Eugene Roche play a verbally abusive husband who referred to women getting together as "hen conventions" :lol: and you figured "hey this Luther cat ain't that bad after all".
Yes, that MUST be it. :lol: