40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#1006 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:03 pm "Let the Punishment Fit the Crime" was last week. Another solid episode. Chris Mitchum was kind of wasted in a rather small role (does he even say a single word?) but he did have a pretty impressive drag-out fighting with Magnum. The series keeps impressing me with its ability to provide twists and turns and surprises that I didn't see coming. The teaser leads us to believe that Chris Mitchum is the assassin (which he sort of is) and that he's taking a shot at someone on the estate. Of course in the actual episode he's nowhere near the estate and the real assassin ends up being someone else. Very clever!

Oh, and then there's the "Three little girls from school are we..." number. :lol:
Don’t forget Rick and TC losing big money playing bridge with the old ladies who were the other two maids. Rick’s participation is based on that. LOL!!!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1007 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Holmes is Where the Heart Is

Overall this was a very good episode. My first time seeing it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hillerman and MacNee had excellent chemistry and it all just came together very nicely. There's humor but also sadness at the end. A perfect mix. Also gotta love Mag's shenanigans trying to get into Higgy's study. The part where he rigs the hammer to break the wine cabinet was like something elaborate out of a COLUMBO episode. :lol:

The Walker Estate (it's not there on the main page for this episode, in the filming locations section) is the residence of the deceased Sir Alec Ramsey. It's the same residence that was seen back in season 1's "Curse of the King Kamehameha Club" as Lew Ayres' residence. It's also the mansion that Magnum inherits in "Of Sound Mind". I'm sure there are more episodes that feature this house. It's pretty easily recognizable.

Then the house on Old Pali Rd. across the Marks Estate (which was the exterior of the KKC driveway) is the residence of Hoon and Victor Ching. That location IS mentioned on the main page of this episode.

HiggieRickTC&om
Ensign

#1008 Post by HiggieRickTC&om »

...no,but I watch whatever episode comes on TV since 1983 +DVDs...with a cold glass of milk and cookies ...or a good sandwich and a cold beer :lol:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1009 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

On Face Value

Really surprised by this one! One of the best of the season and even the series!! Talia Balsam, Marty Balsam's daughter?? Wow! And she was married to George Clooney? Who knew? :shock: I thought that guy never married.

A very strong emotional (with some funny humor here and there) episode which has probably the best car chase of the entire series!! Wow! I thought I was watching an 80s action movie!! Great stuff. Come to think of it I don't think we had a great car chase since the pilot episode. Crazy if you think about it. But the Ferrari vs the GTO was aces!! Kudos to the stunt crew on that one. Speaking of which, the 2 guys who played the Kiedash brothers were stuntmen so I have no doubt they played a big part in putting together that car chase.

I thought the previous 2 episodes were great ("Punishment Fit the Crime" and "Holmes is Where the Heart Is") but this one easily topped those two. Looking forward to the last 2 of the season.

Overall I would rank season 4 on par with season 3, "Did You see the Sunrise?" (best episode of the series) notwithstanding.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#1010 Post by eagle »

Tonight I am catching up on a couple of episodes that I hadn't seen yet. I just finished "Holmes is where the heart is," and am about to watch "On Face Value." I have just bought an Oculus Quest (gen1) so I am watching tonight's episodes with the Bigscreen app. Very neat interface.