40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#436 Post by T.Q. »

Classic episode(s).

The Michelle "Oh, Thomas" scream really grates on me.

Probably because it's flashed back to a million times throughout the series. :P
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#437 Post by 308GUY »

This is one I thought shoulda been an "official" movie.

In my opinion, all the key elements are present. But it wasn't...so we get to enjoy it during our run of the series.

A lot going on in this one.

Most of the highlights have already been covered from where I'm looking, but there are just a couple things that always bring a "hummm" from me when watching it.

I'm always curious how much Vietnamese TS learned to do his lines while in Little Saigon....did he just learn the lines that were written for him applicable to the scenario, (that would be my guess), and how much did he really know about what he was actually saying...or did he have a rudimentary command of the language going in? Like I said, just a personal curiosity.

I know it's "tv" and much is sort of "thrown together" to make things work, but the shoot out at the end is hard to watch when held up next to what "reality" would probably have been.

Col. Ki and his goons, would not have hesitated to pull the trigger in "real life"....waaay too much time elapsed between the time weapons drawn down on target and trigger pull. And as much as I hate to say it, Ki would not have shot TM in the shoulder.....at least not intentionally and from the distance presented. I supposed TM could've used the eyes in the back of his head to see it coming and pivoted just enough and in time to make the shot land where it did.....but kind of a "stretch" me thinks. :lol:

Bottom line, very well done episode, completely enjoyable and after all, if Ki had taken Magnum out....THAT would've been the end of the series...at least for TM....but wait....guess they could've brought him back as a ghost, floating around, influencing everybody else in the main character roles...you know....from the "Netherworlds! :D :lol: :magnum:

Only here to verify I'm still on board and looking forward to next week. Enjoyed Devon Ericson's performance........though not fond of the character she plays in this one....but she does it well...and considering that she is also a "victim" guess she's off the hook for being a complete "bad girl". :higgins: :geek:
Last edited by 308GUY on Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#438 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:54 am but slightly below the Russian pilot and dead Man's Channel.
Say whaaaat??? :shock: This episode (basically a feature film, with the emotional gut punch to match) is peaks and mountains above the 4 episodes that preceded it and everything else that follows this season. It's simply the best episode of season 2 and probably the second or third best episode of the entire series!

Seriously... you can't place this below some silly story about a defecting Russian MiG pilot, with Higgy talking off the ear of some old KGB boob, while the guys try to sneak a Russian chick out of her bungalow like it's some "frat dorm room comedy". Plus the whole caskets comedy routine at the end. The whole thing is played for laughs. Same with "Dead Man's Channel" - a half-baked story about a middle-aged female university professor who is apparently a skilled underwater demolitions expert who can also tangle no problem with a trained NAVY SEAL (Magnum). Yeah, ok. :roll: Its only saving grace is the kudu buck subplot.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#439 Post by Pahonu »

I haven’t commented on this episode because I’m just not a big fan of rewatching the intensely serious episodes, particularly for two hours. I’ve seen them all many times over the years but at this point, I much prefer the light-hearted episodes with funny interactions and subplots and a respite from the tension. Echoes of the Mind and several others are in the same category for me. They are well done but I can go a looong time between rewatching them. I ultimately believe that’s the indicator for me. I go back to the lighter episodes far more frequently.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#440 Post by SeamanWolfe »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:56 pm
SeamanWolfe wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:54 am but slightly below the Russian pilot and dead Man's Channel.
Say whaaaat??? :shock: This episode (basically a feature film, with the emotional gut punch to match) is peaks and mountains above the 4 episodes that preceded it and everything else that follows this season. It's simply the best episode of season 2 and probably the second or third best episode of the entire series!

Seriously... you can't place this below some silly story about a defecting Russian MiG pilot, with Higgy talking off the ear of some old KGB boob, while the guys try to sneak a Russian chick out of her bungalow like it's some "frat dorm room comedy". Plus the whole caskets comedy routine at the end. The whole thing is played for laughs. Same with "Dead Man's Channel" - a half-baked story about a middle-aged female university professor who is apparently a skilled underwater demolitions expert who can also tangle no problem with a trained NAVY SEAL (Magnum). Yeah, ok. :roll: Its only saving grace is the kudu buck subplot.
Fair enough - I am reviewing/rating 100% based on my enjoyment during this watch thru. I have seen this episode a lot (having a vhs recording of it) and really know all the beats of the story. There were only a few things that jumped out on this rewatch (mainly Mac actually seeming fairly competent during the church shoot out). While the other 2 had less baggage for me coming into the episode. I thought Dead Man's Channel had very good writing and Moscow to Maui was a solid episode I had not seen in 30+ years.

Pahonu

#441 Post by Pahonu »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:59 am

Fair enough - I am reviewing/rating 100% based on my enjoyment during this watch thru. I have seen this episode a lot (having a vhs recording of it) and really know all the beats of the story. There were only a few things that jumped out on this rewatch (mainly Mac actually seeming fairly competent during the church shoot out). While the other 2 had less baggage for me coming into the episode. I thought Dead Man's Channel had very good writing and Moscow to Maui was a solid episode I had not seen in 30+ years.
I prefer Dead Man’s Channel too.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#442 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Thanks Pahonu - maybe we are distant relatives. I think I have heard you have an affinity for the 1970s Pirates. Small world - the 79 team at 3 rivers were some of my first baseball games.

Pahonu

#443 Post by Pahonu »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:02 am Thanks Pahonu - maybe we are distant relatives. I think I have heard you have an affinity for the 1970s Pirates. Small world - the 79 team at 3 rivers were some of my first baseball games.
You are very astute! The first MLB ballgame I ever attended was with my uncle at Three Rivers Stadium in the 1979 season. I became a fan immediately and idolized Willie Stargell. This happened even though I grew up in SoCal. When the “Family” won the series, I was hooked. It’s been a hard road since, but the Bucs remain my team all these decades later.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#444 Post by T.Q. »

Posting early so I don't forget. :P

November 12th, 1981

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I. Tropical Madness
Season 2, episode 6

With Devon Ericson (Jenny Chapman), Roy Dotrice (Brice Harcourt), Jake Hoopai (Sumo), Bruce Johnson (Dwarf), Michael Dennis (Minister).

Magnum is surprised when a beautiful English woman spurns his advances, instead preferring Higgins. Magnum is certain that the woman is feigning interest in Higgins.
Last edited by T.Q. on Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#445 Post by eagle »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:27 pm Posting early so I don't forget. :P
Not just you, friend. :) I've missed the first 5 already! Adding this to my calendar right now!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#446 Post by Chris109 »

Seriously... you can't place this below some silly story about a defecting Russian MiG pilot, with Higgy talking off the ear of some old KGB boob, while the guys try to sneak a Russian chick out of her bungalow like it's some "frat dorm room comedy". Plus the whole caskets comedy routine at the end. The whole thing is played for laughs.
I thought the idea of a chick with that huge butt is a sprinter. Now, if she was an East German female shot putter...

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#447 Post by Chris109 »

November 12th, 1981

Season 2, episode 6

With Devon Ericson (Jenny Chapman), Roy Dotrice (Brice Harcourt), Jake Hoopai (Sumo), Bruce Johnson (Dwarf), Michael Dennis (Minister).

Magnum is surprised when a beautiful English woman spurns his advances, instead preferring Higgins. Magnum is certain that the woman is feigning interest in Higgins.
Roy Dotrice played Commissioner Simmonds in Space: 1999. Depressing when you think 1999 was only 6 years before Magnum. Ugh.

Fleet Admiral

#448 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

November 12th, 1981

Season 2, episode 6

I like this episode. I like it more than season 4's "Letter to a Duchess" which has a similar plot. Higgy slugging TM. Ouch! :shock: And of course the midget or a dwarf. :lol: :P Wait, are we allowed to still say that?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#449 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:35 pm And of course the midget or a dwarf. :lol: :P Wait, are we allowed to still say that?
No we are not.

You, my friend, are cancelled. :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#450 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:11 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:35 pm And of course the midget or a dwarf. :lol: :P Wait, are we allowed to still say that?
No we are not.

You, my friend, are cancelled. :lol:
:? :shock: :(

I think sometimes our Creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If I thought otherwise I believe I truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad.