40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#406 Post by 308GUY »

"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#407 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:51 pm Image

October 22, 1981

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I.
The Woman On The Beach
Season 2, episode 3

With Judith Chapman (Sara Clifford), Jack Hogan (Henry Ellison), Kenneth Mars (Joseph), Rebecca Clemons (Librarian).

Rick meets a woman dressed in white at the King Kamehameha Club but when they go for a walk on the beach, the woman disappears.
An episode which I found overrated at first but it has grown on me. Still no classic but pretty good. Kenneth Mars as Josef the caretaker really cracks me up! :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#408 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

eagle wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:22 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:08 pm “The show had a total of zero flaws” :lol: :lol: :lol:
Finally some humor with Five-O!
My thoughts exactly.

Serious question: I have never seen either Hawaii 5-0 show; should I watch either?
Definitely watch the original! Greatest show of all time! Just ask T.Q. :D

The remake? Don't bother. It was a mess, just like the new MiniMag is. Watch it only if you want to constantly be reminded about all the missing "magic" that made the original great. Or if you miss Hawaii and just want to see the pretty scenery in HD. But surely that can't be enough reason to watch.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#409 Post by eagle »

Thanks, Ivan & Pahonu. You've convinced me -- now I need to find a place to stream it. Roku Channel doesn't seem to have it. cbs.com doesn't have it. Short of buying every season on disc, I'm not sure where to watch it. Any ideas?

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#410 Post by Chris109 »

An episode which I found overrated at first but it has grown on me. Still no classic but pretty good. Kenneth Mars as Josef the caretaker really cracks me up! :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#411 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:08 pm “The show had a total of zero flaws” :lol: :lol: :lol:
My thoughts exactly.

Serious question: I have never seen either Hawaii 5-0 show; should I watch either?
Yes. The original.

It's very good. Really enjoying it.

It's real story-telling. Real crime solving. Not the reboot fluff you get with BOOM BOOMs everywhere to distract the viewer.

NOT the best show in TV history though (sorry Ivan) . Magnum, P.I. is. :P :P :P
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#412 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:57 pm
My thoughts exactly.

Yes. The original.

It's real story-telling. Real crime solving. Not the reboot fluff you get with BOOM BOOMs everywhere to distract the viewer.

Sorry, but you’re both wrong! The best show in TV history is The Rockford Files. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would place MPI in second though. :magnum:

That’s the total length of my list! :wink:

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#413 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Season 2 is off to a slow start. I liked Dead Man's Channel, but was not wild about this episode. Seeing it around Halloween was fun (catching on syndication it is hard to know when it aired). The biggest disconnect for me was the bad guy at the end, dressing Lisa in the outfit and then making driving her to that old estate? Seems like a logistical nightmare.

All in all, I would put this one on par with the season opener. I will not be upset if I don't see it again until the 50th anniversary rewatch.

Pahonu

#414 Post by Pahonu »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:15 am I will not be upset if I don't see it again until the 50th anniversary rewatch.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Great line!

I’m not a big fan either. The only things I like about this episode are the lighter elements. Kenneth Mars as Joseph, the Shakespeare supernumerary role TM is desperate to avoid, and the librarian transforming herself from a mouse into a babe behind TM’s back.

I also didn’t remember Higgins mentioning a sauna at the estate.

Fleet Admiral

#415 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:45 am
My thoughts exactly.

Yes. The original.

Sorry, but you’re both wrong! The best show in TV history is The Rockford Files. :lol: :lol: :lol:

For our list-challenged friend...

1. The Rockford Files
2. MPI
3. Hawaii Five-O
4. The Streets of San Fran
5. Harry-O

You're welcome! :D And yes you do prefer HFO to SOSF. And both of those to H-O. You just don't realize it yet. :P

Pahonu

#416 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:43 am
Pahonu wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:45 am
My thoughts exactly.

Yes. The original.

For our list-challenged friend...

1. The Rockford Files
2. MPI
3. Hawaii Five-O
4. The Streets of San Fran
5. Harry-O

You're welcome! :D And yes you do prefer HFO to SOSF. And both of those to H-O. You just don't realize it yet. :P
No definite order determined, but I honestly don’t think Hawaii Five-O would even make my top ten. It’s far too uneven in episode quality. I seem to recall Mike’s H5-O website having many episodes rated as a BOMB, and I don’t disagree. Maybe it would sneak in but I definitely like Harry-O and SOSF better. Neither of those series, like H5-O, have the light-hearted elements of MPI or Rockford, but I find myself rewatching those series more. I just don’t do that with H5-O. I also find myself rewatching a handful of comedy series much more often, including All in the Family, MASH, Newsradio, and The Bob Newhart Show.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#417 Post by SeamanWolfe »

I used to really enjoy Hawaii 5-0. It was a bit before my time, but ran in syndication for 2 episodes on Sunday nights back in the late 80s and was also on at 4pm on wor (via cable) around the same time. It was a 2 part wofat (please forgive spelling) rerun that hooked me around 1987.

I have never gone back to that well - Magnum is my tv comfort food for the most part.

If I had to rank top 5 network shows. Magnum, homicide, northern exposure, tour of duty (deep cut - I am pretty sure it replaced Magnum at 8pm on Thursday in 1987. To round out the list - and lose all my Magnum street cred - party of five.

Fleet Admiral

#418 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:51 am
No definite order determined, but I honestly don’t think Hawaii Five-O would even make my top ten.
Blasphemy!! :o

Fleet Admiral

#419 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:58 am I used to really enjoy Hawaii 5-0. It was a bit before my time, but ran in syndication for 2 episodes on Sunday nights back in the late 80s and was also on at 4pm on wor (via cable) around the same time. It was a 2 part wofat (please forgive spelling) rerun that hooked me around 1987.

I have never gone back to that well - Magnum is my tv comfort food for the most part.

If I had to rank top 5 network shows. Magnum, homicide, northern exposure, tour of duty (deep cut - I am pretty sure it replaced Magnum at 8pm on Thursday in 1987. To round out the list - and lose all my Magnum street cred - party of five.
PARTY OF FIVE over FIVE-O???? :lol:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#420 Post by Styles Bitchley »

The Woman on the Beach has some redeeming moments, but I think Judith Chapman's acting does a lot to sink the episode (just like in the Black Orchid). Again, we have Rick so quick to fall in love and even sock his good buddy in the jaw for messing with his good thing (although it's amazing they used that cut in the final episode, as his fist comes nowhere near Selleck's face).

As Pahonu mentions, the librarian scene is really fun - but I think they could have exploited it even further.

Interesting to see Magnum in the Ferrari with the roof on in this episode (while its raining at night). I remember the rumour being that he actually couldn't fit in the Ferrari with the roof on. He actually doesn't look too uncomfortable. I believe the rumour also was that they pulled the stuffing out of the seat cushion to allow him to sit lower?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.