40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#196 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:52 pm I love da flip. :lol:

What in the world was that??? There's no trampoline in sight!! And that looks like TC, not Rick.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#197 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:52 pm I love da flip. :lol:

Was waiting on your addition!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#198 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:53 pm
Was waiting on your addition!
Pain FREE version. :lol:

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#199 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Thanks for the gifs, T.Q.

Now make a gif of Magnum throwing a beer bottle into the ocean, screaming, "NOOOO!!!" :D

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#200 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:56 am
ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:41 am Finally got to my rewatch of this ....

I also have always been just meh about this, and, agreeing with Pahonu, I think the biggest reason is Gretchen Corbett. I guess she did a good job though, we weren't supposed to like her. I'll say, on rewatch I do like it more than my memories

I also agree with Styles, I wish Charlie, along with others like Alistair Ffolkes, were worked in the series going forward, the way Doc Ibold was, a "Magnumverse" if you will.

Is this the first time we see Higgy in sunglasses? I feel like the only other time was the finale, covering his black eye.

When TM leaves his surf ski to help Henry Lewis, how did he get it back from the ocean?

It's nice to get a mention of Rick's Cafe as well . . . IIRC it's only this episode and season 2's Wave Goodbye which acknowledge the club seen in the pilot.

Could TC's "flip-fall" in the burning cane fields have been more corny?

Also, when Mr. Dollinger explains the founding of the KKC, he said is was for "all the people" and how little he charges in rent . . . yet the club has been losing money for years as confirmed by both Higgins and Rick, yet we also know it's the most exclusive club on all of Oahu . . . just how badly are they mismanaging that place?!?

Also . . . the end wearing the KKC 44 shirt, that looks like a USA Olympic logo, but only 3 rings . . . I wonder if this helps with trying to figure out the shirt and "44"'s meaning.

Overall I like this one better than I remembered . . . maybe it was just overshadowed by the other classics.
I also remember Higgins wearing sunglasses as the third base coach in Squeeze Play. Kind of dorky looking actually. Sorry KHale! :(

At least Ffolkes got a second episode. They were at the KKC all the time so it would have been cool to see a Charlie a few more times.
He was supposed to look dorky as a third base coach. He definitely did not look dorky in this episode.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#201 Post by T.Q. »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:28 pm Thanks for the gifs, T.Q.

Now make a gif of Magnum throwing a beer bottle into the ocean, screaming, "NOOOO!!!" :D
The gif website won't let me add words anymore for some reason.

I think he just screams though: ARRGH not NOOOO :lol:

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#202 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:48 am I think he just screams though: ARRGH not NOOOO :lol:
It looks like you're right. Why did I think he said, "NOOO!"?

youtu.be/9UY1d7xyfJk

Thanks again, T.Q. :D

How do you make the gifs? I have to clip the bit of video in a video editor and import to an image program - then if I want text, I have to put it on each frame. It's a tedious process.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#203 Post by T.Q. »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:12 pm
Thanks again, T.Q. :D

How do you make the gifs? I have to clip the bit of video in a video editor and import to an image program - then if I want text, I have to put it on each frame. It's a tedious process.
Giphy dot com.

You used to be able to add text so I'm disappointed.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#204 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thicker than Blood up next? I need to set my VCR.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#205 Post by T.Q. »

February 26, 1981

[CBS 9:00] Magnum, P.I. [Reg]: Thicker Than Blood
Season 1, episode 12

W: Donald P. Bellisario D: Lawrence Doheny
With Vincent Caristi (Joey), Chip Lucia (Coast Guard Lieutenant), Andre Philippe (Renard), Alan Caillou (Freighter Captain), James Hildenbrand (Radioman), Michael Dennis (Helmsman), Neal Lipe (Coast Guard Pilot), Michael Spilotro (Federal Marshal), Kit Wennerstein (Coast Guard Radioman), Frank Adolfi (Auctioneer).

T.C. flies out to a freighter at sea during the night to smuggle a Marine deserter back to the United States but is arrested on the return flight. He refuses Magnum's help and plans to plead guilty.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#206 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:24 pm Image

February 26, 1981

[CBS 9:00] Magnum, P.I. [Reg]: Thicker Than Blood
Season 1, episode 12

W: Donald P. Bellisario D: Lawrence Doheny
With Vincent Caristi (Joey), Chip Lucia (Coast Guard Lieutenant), Andre Philippe (Renard), Alan Caillou (Freighter Captain), James Hildenbrand (Radioman), Michael Dennis (Helmsman), Neal Lipe (Coast Guard Pilot), Michael Spilotro (Federal Marshal), Kit Wennerstein (Coast Guard Radioman), Frank Adolfi (Auctioneer).

T.C. flies out to a freighter at sea during the night to smuggle a Marine deserter back to the United States but is arrested on the return flight. He refuses Magnum's help and plans to plead guilty.
Great Mac and TM scene in this one at the bar of the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, where I stayed in 2018! :D You can see the waterfall in the back.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#207 Post by Pahonu »

I’ve always liked the opening and closing of this episode but somehow lose interest in between. I’ll see if I notice something new this time around.

The opening is so disconnected from anything else in the episode but quite unique. Why FLAT beer? That would make no difference in nutritional value of that concoction. By the way, lager beer with tomato juice, some Tabasco sauce or other pepper sauce, lime juice, and a few other sauces makes a pretty good summer drink over ice. It’s popular in Mexico and here in SoCal and called a michelada. Some recipes use Clamato, and some omit the tomato juice altogether and add a dash of Worcestershire and Jugo Maggi.

I don’t recall what I thought when originally seeing it, but it sure feels like the message woman should show up at some time in the episode or a later one.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#208 Post by T.Q. »

I love the friendship, forgiveness and loyalty aspect of this episode.

T.C.'s loyalty to Joey trying to help him and being willing to take the heat. Throw in the addiction angle that TC's help was contingent on Joey being clean and sober (although faked) which shows a lot of character and is the right thing to do with addicts. Not enabling the behaviour.

TM and Rick being forgiving of their friend TC treating them like crap. "Now I got a mama and I got a papa and I ain't lookin' for no mo brothas". Overlooking it to get to the bottom of the problem because they love TC.

Everyone's friendships emerging intact during some heated moments and a challenging time.

Also the early development of Magnum and Higgins' friendship. Higgins accepting TM's moving out... but deep down he really doesn't want him to despite his being a thorn in his side.

Always liked this episode.

AND one of my favourite fourth walls:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#209 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:33 pm I love the friendship, forgiveness and loyalty aspect of this episode.

T.C.'s loyalty to Joey trying to help him and being willing to take the heat. Throw in the addiction angle that TC's help was contingent on Joey being clean and sober (although faked) which shows a lot of character and is the right thing to do with addicts. Not enabling the behaviour.

TM and Rick being forgiving of their friend TC treating them like crap. "Now I got a mama and I got a papa and I ain't lookin' for no mo brothas". Overlooking it to get to the bottom of the problem because they love TC.

Everyone's friendships emerging intact during some heated moments and a challenging time.

Also the early development of Magnum and Higgins' friendship. Higgins accepting TM's moving out... but deep down he really doesn't want him to despite his being a thorn in his side.

Always liked this episode.

AND one of my favourite fourth walls:

I totally agree that the show is centered around the friendship qualities you describe. I don’t think I realized it until now, but perhaps the reason why I typically skip this episode is because of that topic. I find it it kind of hard to watch such close friends struggling with their relationship and ending up in a physical altercation. As I watched, knowing a reconciliation is coming, I found myself impatient for the positive ending to arrive more quickly. I think the ending with Higgins is more powerful for that same reason.

My wife has teased me over the years that while I’ll watch movies and TV shows that have difficult and depressing topics, and enjoy them greatly, I never want to REwatch them. I’ve enjoyed some of her favorite films with her over the last 25+ years, but I only seem to watch the humorous stuff with her more than once. There’s some serious self-analysis going on here! :shock: :lol:

From a MPI 40th Anniversary Rewatch Party!
Who knew?!?!?
Peer pressure made me rewatch it. :D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#210 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:59 pm
I totally agree that the show is centered around the friendship qualities you describe. I don’t think I realized it until now, but perhaps the reason why I typically skip this episode is because of that topic. I find it it kind of hard to watch such close friends struggling with their relationship and ending up in a physical altercation. As I watched, knowing a reconciliation is coming, I found myself impatient for the positive ending to arrive more quickly. I think the ending with Higgins is more powerful for that same reason.

My wife has teased me over the years that while I’ll watch movies and TV shows that have difficult and depressing topics, and enjoy them greatly, I never want to REwatch them. I’ve enjoyed some of her favorite films with her over the last 25+ years, but I only seem to watch the humorous stuff with her more than once. There’s some serious self-analysis going on here! :shock: :lol:

From a MPI 40th Anniversary Rewatch Party!
Who knew?!?!?
Peer pressure made me rewatch it. :D
An episode like this helps me to understand the impact MPI had on young boys in the 80s.

You had a manly, at times tough, at times goofy, positive television hero (and supporting cast and story) that taught valuable lessons in honour and integrity.

Even simple lessons like it's okay when friends are going through tough times and end up lashing out at you. Very impactful to a 12 year old kid.