New DVD release in Walmart?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MHTR
Vice Admiral

New DVD release in Walmart?

#1 Post by MHTR »

I recently moved halfway across the country, and had my Magnum DVDs (along with a bunch of other stuff in 3 big boxes and 2 medium boxes) shipped to my wife's friend's house, where we stayed until we got a place of our own. One of the boxes came in heavily damaged, and I'm assuming it was the one that had the DVDs in them. To get to the point, I found out I am now missing seasons 1 and 5. :( Actually, I'm not too disappointed that season one was lost (or stolen, maybe) as what I had was the original release with double sided discs. Anyway, after looking on Amazon it would cost me $26.26 to get these two seasons replaced. However, I just noticed today in Walmart the complete series in a new packaging I have never seen before. There's a link below to it online; I'm pretty sure it is the same as what I saw in the store today. Does anybody have any info on this (presumably) new release? It's only $55 in the store whereas online it's $61.60. I'm wondering whether I ought to just buy this instead of the two seasons separately. I read the box, and while it has the Murder, She Wrote crossover, it appears to be missing the Simon and Simon crossover. It also has TS in White on White and Nearly Perfect, with I think some other stuff.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnum-P-I-T ... /544086149

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: New DVD release in Walmart?

#2 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I have seen it in store. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet it's the same as the original single season releases. I have bought some of these cheaper repackaged combo sets (from Walmart) of Gunsmoke and the disks are the exact same as the original single season releases.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by MHTR »

Yeah, but if that's the case, you'd think it would mention having the Simon & Simon crossover episode, since it does for Murder, She Wrote.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I first saw this release over a year ago on a shelf in Wal-Mart too. It caught my eye of course because it's Magnum but also because it's an art design I never saw before. It looked pretty cool and the price was good too. Of course by that point I already had this box set which I purchased a year or two earlier: https://amzn.to/3mVF0t1. I paid $80 for that one.

The one you're talking about is cheaper than what I paid for and is a newer release - it was released in 2018. I wonder if it has the HD prints that are available on Amazon streaming. I've seen some screencaps of these remastered episodes and they look beautiful. The prints in my set are the original ones that were released back in the mid-2000s I believe.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by MHTR »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:17 pm I first saw this release over a year ago on a shelf in Wal-Mart too. It caught my eye of course because it's Magnum but also because it's an art design I never saw before. It looked pretty cool and the price was good too. Of course by that point I already had this box set which I purchased a year or two earlier: https://amzn.to/3mVF0t1. I paid $80 for that one.

The one you're talking about is cheaper than what I paid for and is a newer release - it was released in 2018. I wonder if it has the HD prints that are available on Amazon streaming. I've seen some screencaps of these remastered episodes and they look beautiful. The prints in my set are the original ones that were released back in the mid-2000s I believe.
Yeah, I wonder if there is any difference between the two. They both contain a total of 42 discs, so that much is the same. Also the price has come down for the one you bought; it's now listed at $56.36, basically the same as the newer release (.11¢ cheaper). I think I'm going to buy one of these two instead of simply replacing the two seasons I'm missing. I forgot that the double sided discs persisted until season 4 (at least), and I want to replace those. Going with one of the complete series options would be cheaper than buying 5 separate seasons.

I just noticed that Walmart's online price went down, it's now $56.47, the same as Amazon's price.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Yes, I agree that buying that set would be the better option. If you do, let us know what this release looks like and if the episodes are remastered.

I still have the original 4 seasons of KNIGHT RIDER on DVD (as well as season 2 of THE A-TEAM - the only one I bought) which I bought as they came out individually. All double-sided of course.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by MHTR »

Update on this: I went ahead and bought this from Walmart a few days after my last post here. Have yet to start rewatching; been too busy lately. :?

[Once I do, I'm planning on giving my .02¢ on the "Seasons" section of the forum.]