Finished another run through the series

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Finished another run through the series

#1 Post by eagle »

Note: This was written on October 21, when the the forum was nonfunctional. I saved it so that I could post it after the forums were fixed. Now that they are...

And, I did start Burn Notice. I'm on episode 9 there now.

-----

I've been working my way through the original Magnum, p.i. series for the last year or two, and I finished last night. I'm always saddened when I reach season 8 episode 13, because it means there are no new episodes. I think this episode was a fine end to the show, unlike season 7 episode 22.

Now I'm deciding whether I want to start it again, or if I want to take a little break. Hulu currently has "Burn Notice," so maybe I go through that for now. I enjoyed that show when it was first available, and I know I'll enjoy it again.

The current-run shows I'm watching today are Blue Bloods, Manifest, and The Rookie. I sometimes watch the new Magnum pi, but as I have posted, I still don't enjoy it. Other shows I'm watching are Law & Order, The Brady Bunch, and Leave It To Beaver -- and to a lesser extent CHiPs, Charlie's Angels, and Emergency! ... those old shows were so much better than much of today's programming. Sometimes I catch a Knight Rider, The Six Million Dollar Man, or The Bionic Woman.

What are you guys watching these days?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Finished another run through the series

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

I feel like through the lockdown Magnum has been on constantly at Flemingo Key . . . for a while there we had 3 hours on ChargeTV an 10 AM, then another block of 4 hours on Hallmark Movie & Mysteries at 3 PM and then another 3 on ChargeTV starting at 10 PM . . . 10 hours of broadcast Magnum!!! I was doing a lot of cooking for my parents so they didn't have to go out so it was a constant fixture in the background, no better friend to have over when you can't see your friends in person.

Since then Hallmark scaled back and ChargeTV adjusted their daytime back to 2 hours starting at Noon to accommodate Hunter. That pushed me back to music and the Joe Rogan podcast (I'm a sucker for the "unexplained" stuff that Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson discuss and the wild UFO stuff Cmdr. Frazor and Bob Lazar brought to the show) as well some of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast.

As for what we're watching here, I burned through the "Big" series already - The Wire, Sons of Anarchy, The Shield, Justified, Deadwood, Longmire, Sopranos (didn't care for Breaking Bad)- so we caught up on things like Californication, and Fear the Walking Dead. We did dip back into rewatching some other shows we really enjoyed like Burn Notice, The Glades, The Finder, Cougar Town, Scrubs, some easy stuff for the mind during the craziness. I have found that regular network TV gets harder and harder to watch, I only look forward to Blue Bloods and Seal Team, everything else is just meh.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by eagle »

Speaking of "The Glades," what did you think of the finale? Seemed pretty clear to me that it wasn't intended to be the series finale -- that they pulled the show after the episode was complete. I can't see them leaving the show like that -- what a horrible ending.

I watch Manifest and the new Magnum, but the only new shows I truly enjoy are Blue Bloods and The Rookie.

Maybe I should start turning my TV on during the day -- I never do that. :)

ConchRepublican

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

eagle wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:23 pm Speaking of "The Glades," what did you think of the finale? Seemed pretty clear to me that it wasn't intended to be the series finale -- that they pulled the show after the episode was complete. I can't see them leaving the show like that -- what a horrible ending.

I watch Manifest and the new Magnum, but the only new shows I truly enjoy are Blue Bloods and The Rookie.

Maybe I should start turning my TV on during the day -- I never do that. :)
I totally forgot about The Rookie (and it was in your original post!) I enjoy that as well, very good show.

As for The Glades, yeah that ending was really disappointing, but I think they were strong arming the network for one more season, hoping they could fight against poor ratings. I liked their easy chemistry and the Florida vibe . . . there's something to be said for that A&E style show - The Glades, Burn Notice, Royal Pains . . even Suits, cool characters, just enough story to keep you involved and not so difficult plotlines . . . if you liked The Glades check out The Finder, a spinoff from Bones with a cool vibe but only one season . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot

croixdelorraine
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by croixdelorraine »

Heh well I am having another go at the Granada produced "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" starring the incomparable Jeremy Brett. I am saddened not so much when the series ends, but when the excellent David Burke left the show to be replaced by Edward Hardwicke—also a fine Watson but miles from Burke's Watson. Hardwicke fell back on the "Watson was a bumbling fool" trope introduced so long ago, in contradiction to the Watson of the original stories; though to a much lesser extent than other actors.

Anyway, I did just discover when browsing Roku, that Magnum P.I. is once again available for free on the Roku channel, so I'm on Season 1 of Magnum, too. I also found a very unique and funny series called Comrade Detective. Check that out! Other than that, not much time to watch as I'm also reading the Harry Potter series for the first time (I loved fantasy as a child and, though I've never been interested, Harry Potter is the best selling book series of all time, and now that I'm halfway through the first book, I can admit it's a fun story so far. Reminds me of the joy I got from books like that as a child.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:50 pm Note: This was written on October 21, when the the forum was nonfunctional. I saved it so that I could post it after the forums were fixed. Now that they are...

And, I did start Burn Notice. I'm on episode 9 there now.

-----

I've been working my way through the original Magnum, p.i. series for the last year or two, and I finished last night. I'm always saddened when I reach season 8 episode 13, because it means there are no new episodes. I think this episode was a fine end to the show, unlike season 7 episode 22.

Now I'm deciding whether I want to start it again, or if I want to take a little break. Hulu currently has "Burn Notice," so maybe I go through that for now. I enjoyed that show when it was first available, and I know I'll enjoy it again.

The current-run shows I'm watching today are Blue Bloods, Manifest, and The Rookie. I sometimes watch the new Magnum pi, but as I have posted, I still don't enjoy it. Other shows I'm watching are Law & Order, The Brady Bunch, and Leave It To Beaver -- and to a lesser extent CHiPs, Charlie's Angels, and Emergency! ... those old shows were so much better than much of today's programming. Sometimes I catch a Knight Rider, The Six Million Dollar Man, or The Bionic Woman.

What are you guys watching these days?
Is Burn Notice worth watching?

I'm watching original Hawaii Five-0 on weight days (3 or 4 episodes a week). Almost finished season 2. Loving it.

Also wifey got me watching an episode a day after supper of The Blacklist. I think it's pretty good. Not as good as the hype I heard about it though.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by eagle »

I like Burn Notice well enough to go through it a second time, so I'll say yes. :)

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by terryfromkerry »

I am with Eagle on the subject of Burn Notice. Presently on my second run of the series and still getting a great kick from it. I particularly enjoy Bruce Campbell's Aloha shirts. He wears several different shirts in each episode. I suspect they are the Tommy Bahama label. Campbell like Tom Selleck really rocks the Aloha shirt look. :D
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Kevster »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:10 pm I feel like through the lockdown Magnum has been on constantly at Flemingo Key . . . for a while there we had 3 hours on ChargeTV an 10 AM, then another block of 4 hours on Hallmark Movie & Mysteries at 3 PM and then another 3 on ChargeTV starting at 10 PM . . . 10 hours of broadcast Magnum!!! I was doing a lot of cooking for my parents so they didn't have to go out so it was a constant fixture in the background, no better friend to have over when you can't see your friends in person.

Since then Hallmark scaled back and ChargeTV adjusted their daytime back to 2 hours starting at Noon to accommodate Hunter. That pushed me back to music and the Joe Rogan podcast (I'm a sucker for the "unexplained" stuff that Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson discuss and the wild UFO stuff Cmdr. Frazor and Bob Lazar brought to the show) as well some of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast.

As for what we're watching here, I burned through the "Big" series already - The Wire, Sons of Anarchy, The Shield, Justified, Deadwood, Longmire, Sopranos (didn't care for Breaking Bad)- so we caught up on things like Californication, and Fear the Walking Dead. We did dip back into rewatching some other shows we really enjoyed like Burn Notice, The Glades, The Finder, Cougar Town, Scrubs, some easy stuff for the mind during the craziness. I have found that regular network TV gets harder and harder to watch, I only look forward to Blue Bloods and Seal Team, everything else is just meh.
Get ready for Noon to 3PM on H M&M starting 1/4/21... Yeah, they brought it back, put it back into daytime, but went early afternoon this time.
Trust Me!!!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by eagle »

That makes me wonder: do y’all feel like you have to watch if it’s on, or do you only watch your DVD/BR collection? I watch both, but usually only my DVDs.

ConchRepublican

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

Kevster wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:35 pm
ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:10 pm I feel like through the lockdown Magnum has been on constantly at Flemingo Key . . . for a while there we had 3 hours on ChargeTV an 10 AM, then another block of 4 hours on Hallmark Movie & Mysteries at 3 PM and then another 3 on ChargeTV starting at 10 PM . . . 10 hours of broadcast Magnum!!! I was doing a lot of cooking for my parents so they didn't have to go out so it was a constant fixture in the background, no better friend to have over when you can't see your friends in person.

Get ready for Noon to 3PM on H M&M starting 1/4/21... Yeah, they brought it back, put it back into daytime, but went early afternoon this time.
Unfortunately it conflicts with ChargeTV which also airs Magnum at Noon, but for 2 hours . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#12 Post by ConchRepublican »

terryfromkerry wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:59 pm I am with Eagle on the subject of Burn Notice. Presently on my second run of the series and still getting a great kick from it. I particularly enjoy Bruce Campbell's Aloha shirts. He wears several different shirts in each episode. I suspect they are the Tommy Bahama label. Campbell like Tom Selleck really rocks the Aloha shirt look. :D
Ditto, Burn Notice has been run through a couple of times at Flemingo Key as well . . . I feel like Bruce Campbell raided my closet! :D :D :D
CoziTV Superfan spot

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by terryfromkerry »

:lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

purpleflirp303
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#14 Post by purpleflirp303 »

During this pandemic watching Magnum PI has been a lifeline for me. I started watching on Amazon Prime because all 8 seasons were free! Then all of a sudden..they were not! :( So I purchased a few of my favorite episodes so I could watch them over and over..each time noticing something new.. :) Then I watched all 10 seasons of Blue Bloods..which took a few months..and then all the Jesse Stone movies. I am a essential worker..a pharmacy technician..life has been pretty stressful..and unfortunately..I don't see any let up. I also purchased 2 movies..Innocent Man and Quigley Down Under. Tom Selleck's rugged good looks, flawed characters, and sense of justice and integrity are what keep me going. Oh, I also rented Broken Trust. Meeting Tom Selleck has moved to the top of my bucket list! I work for a large retail chain not far from NYC..maybe he can stop by on his way back home to CA!😉