Walker Estate

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Walker Estate

#1 Post by golfmobile »

I've been noticing scenes shots here since I found something on the internet about it -- and about how it is "endangered" and may be demolished to make way for more "commercial" use (ugh! modern cheek-by-jowl condos!). Here's a picture of it as it was when built:

This is a picture after restoration (and apparently as used in MPI):

Walker Estate Partial Restoration

Wikipedia Blurb on the Walker Estate

These are articles I found by Googling it. -- how it was for sale and, according to what I can find so far, not demolished yet (Oh, to win a $230 million lottery so I could spend the $12.9 million for it, restore it -- AND pay for you all to come visit me there!).

Potential Demolishing

Another article

Most Recent Update I Can Find

Anyway, it was apparently used several times in at least the first season of MPI. So far, I've found it in "Never Again . . . Never Again" (as the house where Kessler was found murdered -- I think I caught a quick shot of it only in a night scene so I'm not sure of this one), in "Curse of the KKC," as the house of the owner of the land the KKC is leased from, and now, tonight, in watching "Holmes Is Where the Heart Is," as the estate of the guy who died and was buried at the beginning of the show (Sir Alec Ramsey?) and then the Japanese war lord's residence, Mr. Ching?

So, I'm starting a thread to find what other episodes it might have been used in too. Is IslandHopper the expert on settings too?

I'm big on historic preservation of old houses, and it'll break my heart if this house gets demolished. In the meantime, how many times can we find it used in MPI? In any of the later seasons' episodes or only Season 1?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great post golf! I love the Walker Estate. It's such a beautiful piece of property. They used it quite a bit in the show, but I completely missed it in Holmes Is Where the Heart Is!

The only other episode I can think of is Smaller Than Life (4.3) with Cork Hubbert. The estate was used extensively, for both inside and outside shooting.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#3 Post by golfmobile »

James,

Thanks! I'll have to watch for that one but I don't know WHEN it will be on Sleuth, since they keep repeating the first three seasons (as I have mentioned).

But here's Google Earth shot of it:

At least I think that's it, from the address search. But I sure don't see in this roofline what looks like the octagonal tower to the left of the front porch.

Any ideas?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#4 Post by Operation Chessboard »

The Walker Estate is indeed a beautiful piece of real estate. The mansion also made an appearance in the episode 'Of Sound Mind' as well as several Hawaii Five-O episodes.

TankTop44
Commander

#5 Post by TankTop44 »

If you look to the left of the front of the house there is a large tree near that corner, the tree is not there if we think that the front of the house is the part we can see. I think that the front of the house of covered by the trees.