Words

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Words

#1 Post by T.Q. »

Just watching a movie.

Line came up: "Are we going to steal it?".

First thing I thought of is: No, we're going to liberate it.

Sure enough: "No, we're going to liberate it". :lol:

I hate that word. :magnum:

Any words you hear that you instantly think of Magnum?
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

stever
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Words

#2 Post by stever »

For me it's "lads" or "the lads." I actually found myself asking a woman I saw out walking how old her "lads" were (she had two Black Labs). She looked at me kind of funny and then figured out what I was talking about.

The other word or phrase is "hey guys." TM used that one a lot and whenever I hear someone say it I think of Magnum.

SR

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

Quite a few times over the years when I’ve been arguing a point with someone, not a fight mind you, but an argument about some particular point, I’ve found my self saying, “That’s not the point!” Magnum actually says that quite a few times in the series, usually to Higgins, and often, one of those scenes runs through my head before I’m about to make that exact statement when someone gets off topic or makes an irrelevant point in an argument. Very random, I know, but true.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by T.Q. »

Lads and “that’s not the point”.

Two good examples.

Maniacs come through again...

“Naturally”.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#5 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

The word “outrageous”...my Higgins favorite.
Faith and Begorrah!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by terryfromkerry »

LOL! Fr. Paddy,
I agree ! If I hear the word "outrageous" in any context anywhere, I see Higgins on that hotel balcony! Kudos to TQ for introducing this thread. :lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by T.Q. »

terryfromkerry wrote:LOL! Fr. Paddy,
I agree ! If I hear the word "outrageous" in any context anywhere, I see Higgins on that hotel balcony! Kudos to TQ for introducing this thread. :lol:
Yeah, it’s fun.

This one maybe weird...

When I hear “Thomas” I think of T.C. saying Thomas for some reason.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#8 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote:
Yeah, it’s fun.

This one maybe weird...

This just reminded me of something my wife says when she sees me watching Magnum. It’s not all the time, typically just when she hears Rick in the scene. He has a particular Chicago accent when he say “Tam’-ess”. She’ll walk by and say it Chi-town style. She has family from there and does it pretty well. I think of Rick saying his name more distinctly than TC, likely because Roger Mosley is from LA like me and it doesn’t register as a distinct accent.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
Yeah, it’s fun.

This one maybe weird...

This just reminded me of something my wife says when she sees me watching Magnum. It’s not all the time, typically just when she hears Rick in the scene. He has a particular Chicago accent when he say “Tam’-ess”. She’ll walk by and say it Chi-town style. She has family from there and does it pretty well. I think of Rick saying his name more distinctly than TC, likely because Roger Mosley is from LA like me and it doesn’t register as a distinct accent.
Or when someone has the name Thomas pronounced Tow-Moss...

School boy tricks.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
Yeah, it’s fun.

This one maybe weird...

I love it when Rick yells “TAAAMAAAAS!” :lol: “Deja Vu” and “Ms. Jones” come to mind.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Mr. Keoki »

Turkeys.... or yoyos
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by T.Q. »

Mr. Keoki wrote:Turkeys.... or yoyos
You turkeys! :magnum:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Of course, here in France, we are relying upon variable quality of dubbing...

Fortunate enough, MPI featured one of the best dubbing work, especially with the talented Francis Lax (RIP).

Here is a selection of some words i remember:

- "My Little finger said to me..." (Mon petit doigt m'a dit) occured often when TM uses his intuition perk...

- "Hey, isn't it, my little man ?" (N'est-il pas, petit bonhomme !) - When TM got sarcastic with poor Higgins

- "a coffee and the bill, please" (Un café, l'addition...) used often when TM is worn out... :D
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hey Gorilla Mask,
That's interesting the "little finger" was obviously the "little voice". However my recollection is that Magnum never made fun of Higgins lack of height. When it came to the bill he usually put it on Robin's tab. I guess the translation was quite liberal in these examples for some reason. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hey, Terry !

"a coffee and the bill, please" (Un café, l'addition...) was not used when TM had to pay a drink or a fee. That is a very special french humourous formula for "I just can't stand/bear it/ endure more/anymore", either "i am exhausted", either, "i am fed up with that situation". For example, i remember that Francis Lax (TS dubber) used it at the end of "Beauty Knows no pain", since TM was physically "worn out" at that time :D

However, you're right pointing that the french translation was quite liberal, but in the good way.

It often offered more humour and details whil depicting a scene, a situation or explaining characters thoughts.

And yes, french dubbing was probably much more... irreverent with poor Higgy ! :higgins: ... "Outrageous", i meant ! :lol:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."