Magnum G.I.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#91 Post by IslandHopper »

That is awesome Golf. Well done. Did anyone on the golf course make any comments about Magnum G.I.?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#92 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

Thanks!

No one at the golf course saw MGI. It was pretty deserted that day, so we were basically playing by ourselves with no one around. So there were no witnesses to my temporary insanity and Larry's tolerance of my antics (though it was his idea to stick MGI in the hole [and it was his idea to flatten him with the "don't back up" Travelocity Roaming Gnome theme]).

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#93 Post by N1095A »

Ditto on the belated happy birthday Golf, The caps look amazing. Great, nice detail work.
MGI needs a few more things. (not to criticize, just to suggest)
1) the khaki web belt with brass buckle and Naval Surface Warfare emblem.
2) Teeny tiny rolex GMT
3) Teeny tiny MIA bracelet
4) Teeny tiny team rings for MGI, Rick and TC

I know a couple of these might be pretty hard to duplicate. I'd be happy to help out in any way I can. Including making some of these things for you/MGI as time permits.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#94 Post by Shermy »

This is really a very good thing you have done here, golf. I especially like the perspective used to show the beach down below MGI.

My only regret is that Higgins was (apparently) not on hand to try and destroy gophers at the golf course. After all, how amazing would it be to see him transformed into Sir Fearing Pangborn? (Or- perhaps even better- Henry the VIII!!) :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#95 Post by J.J. Walters »

My word, that is fantastic golf! :shock:

The "G.I. Joe" is completely gone! It's Selleck! As MAGNUM!! :)

If you could figure out a way to get a Rolex and a Ring on him, well, you've got yourself a masterpiece right there. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#96 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, I need pictures of these things so I can make them. I can find a picture of the ring, no problem; but I'm not sure about the watch and the belt buckle.

Is this the watch?

one on eBay

or this?

the other on eBay

or if neither of those, someone point me to a picture.

The ring might be pose a bit of a problem, as MGI's fingers are all stuck together, so whatever I copy will just have to be "stuck" on the top of his ring finger. Now he wore the ring on his right hand, correct? What about the watch -- which wrist?

I will await further input.

golf

P.S. Is this the emblem for the belt buckle?

Naval Surface Warfare Emblem?

or this?

NSWE

Did he always wear the MIA bracelet? Which arm? Was his brass or pewter? Did it look like this? (I don't remember it.)

MIA bracelet
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#97 Post by N1095A »

The belt buckle:
Image There must have been more than one of these, because sometimes it looked silver, sometimes gold. I have a gold one with a slightly larger emblem than TM's, and mine doesn't have "MAGNUM" engraved on it.

The watch:

MPI wore his watch on his left wrist, the bracelet on the right, and the ring on the right ring finger.

He wore the belt buckle beginning some time in season 3, as well as the watch which was first seen in "Home From The Sea". I believe the bracelet showed up some time in season 3 as well.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#98 Post by golfmobile »

Thanks, N!

I'm working on 'em.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#99 Post by N1095A »

Okay Golf, I'm intrigued. How did you make the blue parrot shirt?

Ya know I'm a particular fan of Magnum's banded collar white shirts.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#100 Post by golfmobile »

N,

Okay, if you want the gory details:

I took pictures of the fabric, resized them to MGI size for the print. THEN I duplicated the picture and "stitched" it beside itself over and over until I had a "page" of 8.5 x 11 fabric pattern. Then I printed it on the iron-on transfer paper (like you would iron on a picture on a tee shirt). Printed a couple of "pages" of fabric and used it to make the shirt. It was like working with a plastic shower curtain, for sewing purposes, and the shirt ended up "shiny" since it's virtually rubber ironed onto fabric. So I can pretend it's "polished cotton." But at least I have a MGI-sized pattern of the print, and now MGI has the proper shirt.

I dreamed up this idea driving home from work -- I have an hour's commute. You wouldn't BELIEVE what all I dream up while stuck in Atlanta traffic.

However, after the requests today for Magnum's jewelry and the pictures you kindly provided:

Ta-da!

(Okay, so this is only the belt BUCKLE -- I need to find a khaki braided shoelace to be the belt, or some kind of braided "ribbon" -- I'll get something figured out soon, but I had only a few hours today to assemble supplies, so bear with me.)

(posting this during commercials of "Las Vegas" -- our beloved TS is looking a little "chunky" tonight, isn't he???)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#101 Post by N1095A »

You're the best Golf! That's great. And if I might add, what a fantastic quick turn-around. You must have started working as soon as I posted the pics. I hope TS sees this. I did notice on LV, that TS looks a little un Magnum like, but he's in great shape for a 62 year old man.

N1095A

#102 Post by N1095A »

Hey Golf!!
I don't know if you've seen this before, but here's a small portion of my MPI collection. :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#103 Post by golfmobile »

Mike,

Cool! But -- a "small portion"? What else do you have?

The only things "officially" MPI that I have are the Star Car TC's helicopter and Larry Manetti's book. I have shirts, of course, but they aren't officially MPI, I think. I have the Corgi Ferrari, but again it's not official. I'd like to get the Star Car Ferrari, but it's still selling on eBay in the $17-20 range. I'd like to get it a little cheaper, particularly since I don't necessarily want it still in the container, which is what helps it keep its collector value. I like hanging 'em on my Christmas tree as ornaments better than just having the item in its packaging -- but that's just me.

But I do have a cool helicopter Christmas yard decoration that I can PRETEND is TC'S!

Back to making clothes for MGI and Rick. I'm going to try to duplicate the picture on the cover of Manetti's book.

golf[
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#104 Post by N1095A »

Let's see,
I have the DVDs of course, The VM02 cap, the Navy Seals cap (not put together yet). the 1/18th chopper, a collection of banded collar dress shirts. And both the olive and khaki safari shirts, and the tan shorts.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#105 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice collection of "Magnum Stuff", N! :shock: Must make Halloween time easy for you. Just throw on the Magnum gear and you're ready to roll! ;)

golf, I'm so digging the watch, ring and belt buckle you've added for "Magnum G.I."! Awesome!

:D
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!