Magnum G.I.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Magnum G.I.

#1 Post by golfmobile »

MGI hasn't been anywhere interesting lately -- sorry, guys! But at least he did get to dress up for a costume party at the estate (two years after the series ended) as Quigley Down Under:

So, whaddaya think?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

Well done Golf. The pose, clothes, everything, great attention to detail. :) You've inspired me. I'm going to watch Quigley Down Under tonight.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow golf, that is fantastic! Well done!

I like the oversized "hat strap", too. If he finds himself in a real bind, he could use the strap as a lasso! ;)

I know this is kind of an in-between category, but I'm going to move this to "Magnum P.I. Talk".
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

Awesome job on Magnum GI as QDU! TS would be proud, if he saw it! :D

layne
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by layne »

Fantastic job Golf! This is my favorite Magnum G.I. outfit so far. Gotta love Quigley!

Maybe it's just me, but don't they both have the same facial expression? Kind of eerie! :o

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#6 Post by golfmobile »

I "updated" the picture. Larry told me I needed to paint his gray gloves tan and that I needed a background more like the movie poster (he also says I needed a darker shirt, but I'm not making it again, just for that reason -- it's not like I can sell the blinking outfit!). Therefore, in response to my strictest critic's instructions:

It really does look better this way.

golf
Last edited by golfmobile on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Portside, buddy."

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Miss Q »

Excellent job!
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Waltstasz
Admiral

#8 Post by Waltstasz »

Nice work!
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#9 Post by SelleckLover »

Dang, golf!! It's hard to tell which one is TS and which one is Magnum GI! Nice work! :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#10 Post by golfmobile »

I forgot James set up this topic in a separate post, so when I just put something on the ". . . together again" post, it didn't show up for some reason. (Maybe James is in the process of moving it to here?)

Anyway, I made a shirt for Rick per Miss Q's suggestion. Pictures of Rick on the Roaming Magnum, G. I., site:

Roaming Magnum GI

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#11 Post by N1095A »

Cool Golf! I like this one. I really liked Quigley, so that makes it even better.
Have you ever thought about doing his Navy drress whites?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#12 Post by golfmobile »

N,

Really don't need to make his dress whites, as GI Joe has a set of dress whites I have acquired. I'm using it for the clip in the show intro that shows him in dress whites reading a file. I'm working on duplicating a bunch of the opening clips. I have most of them through Higgins' shots -- though I've skipped the surfski scene (because I don't have a surfski for Magnum GI) and I don't have an ocean for him to be in. So I also don't having the "teaching the stewardess to snorkel" fanny shot. I have a female doll I could use for this scene, but I don't have anything that would come close to looking like the two of them in the tidal pool.

So far I have:

First fast helicopter dip
Heli run along the Honolulu skyline
Ocean surf for the title
Ferrari rushing along a blacktop road
Barechest slamming the clip in the automatic
Jungle camo walking through the jungle
Reading file in navy dress whites
[surf ski and fanny shot should be here -- don't have these]
Basketball dunk
Ferrari scratch off with title
Higgins conducting
Higgins doing karate
Higgins and cannon (and Magnum duck)
Higgins and the rubber chicken

I still need props for TC's clips and outfits for Rick's clips. I'm still trying to get the Ultimate Soldier MD500 helicopter (technically, the AH-64) so I can repaint to be TC's Island Hoppers heli. I have a GI Joe camera I can use for TC in the red shirt taking pictures of the models and can use the same camera for the shot of Magnum and TC in the heli. Can't find a GI Joe size baseball/softball glove and ball for that clip of TC. And I don't have a GI-Joe-size Ferrari to show him and Rick riding along together. So I have a LOOOOOOONNNNNNG way to go before I have anything close to a nearly complete intro to the show. But I'm working on getting as many clips or substitutions as I can assemble. But this is A LOT of work!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#13 Post by N1095A »

How tall is MGI? There is an ultimate soldier 500D Rescue chopper on Ebay now for $51.00. 1/6th is the really huge one, and the AH-6 version goes for around $200. The rescue version has doors as well. As far as the snorkel scene, you could shoot it in a pool, as long as you keep the shot tight with just water aroung MGI and the girl, and not the pool edges.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

N,

MGI is the usual GI Joe 12" action figure. So that helicopter would fit him, and I'm very eager to get one. I'm keeping a continuing search out for those helis on eBay so I can get one and repaint it in the IH colors. I'm just having a hard time justifying spending $100+ for a prop for "fun." The problem is that sellers are asking $40+ for shipping! That's ridiculous! It doesn't weigh THAT much! Sellers are just trying to get the cost up to $100+ without paying the eBay commission fees on the final sale price. And, of course, as soon as I started looking for one, everyone ELSE suddenly decided they were rare and collectible and the prices sky-rocketed! When I first started looking, I thought a $25 price and $25 shipping was too much. NOW that is just less than half the going amount for item AND half the shipping cost, at a minimum! Sheesh! So until I out-wait the current collectors, I can't complete my video because they HAVE sold for under $60 -- just not since I've been looking. Patience to wait for a reasonable price is NOT my strong point.

Of course, after I take my pictures and movies, I can always use this monster heli as my tree-topper on my Christmas tree!!!! It can go with all my OTHER Magnum Ferrari Matchbox and Corgi cars and helis as Christmas tree ornaments . . . .

Will keep everyone posted if I ever get the heli and get my intro video completed. At this rate, it's going to take MONTHS!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#15 Post by N1095A »

I know how you feel. Seems that once I find something on Ebay that I'm looking for, all of the sudden it's a "rare" item, and the price skyrockets.
I bought the 1/18th scale AH-6 which I'm in the middle of converting now. I considered the 1/6th, but I saw one a couple of weeks ago and it was HUGE!! I was able to (finally) get seasons 5 and 6 on ebay for around $36.00. I couldn't believe it. I'll keep an eye out for the 1/6th chopper for you. As for using the chopper as a tree topper, I think it's a little big for that. The one that I saw recently was in a house that we were looking to buy. It was mounted to the bottom of a ceiling fan. The nav and landing lights even worked.
Just curious, do you have a Rick and TC? I've seen your Higgins, but not Rick and TC.