Future of the Boathouse

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Future of the Boathouse

#1 Post by Pahonu »

I was just looking again at the plans for the Pahonu property and the sea wall proposal study. If the three homes are built to plan, it seems the gate house will need to be razed. It’s demolition wasn’t in the original permits but it would be in the way of the driveway for one of the two houses to the west. That leaves the question of the boathouse. It’s not in the way of any planned construction. In fact it is in a zone that is unbuildable according to current code. The sea walls are going to be raised in front of it, and all along the property to match the height of the highest walls by the main house. They could keep the opening gate there though. It turns out that the sea walls in front of the boathouse aren’t even on the property. They’re nonconforming structures. The boathouse is too close to the sand to be built today. So was the main house. It couldn’t even be rebuilt today.

I wonder if they plan on renovating the boathouse rather than removing it since nothing like it could be built there again. It does have a great function of storing water related equipment right near the sand. Of course, that’s why it was built in the first place. I recall seeing a real estate listing in Laguna Beach here in SoCal a few years ago. It was a house on a bluff above a sandy cove, which is common in that area. The house had stunning views and was quite large, but several photos and sentences of the ad showed a boathouse structure right on the sand, down all the steps from the house’s terrace. It was about 30-40 feet down the bluff to the cove and this small garage-like structure was at the bottom of the stairs. The ad explained how it was one of the few remaining like it and that it couldn’t be built today. There’s real value in that. Any thoughts?

JosipCro
Captain

Re: Future of the Boathouse

#2 Post by JosipCro »

Hi!

I just mentioned that in the topic The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu).
I hope they don't demolish those two buildings that are left

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:I was just looking again at the plans for the Pahonu property and the sea wall proposal study. If the three homes are built to plan, it seems the gate house will need to be razed. It’s demolition wasn’t in the original permits but it would be in the way of the driveway for one of the two houses to the west. That leaves the question of the boathouse. It’s not in the way of any planned construction. In fact it is in a zone that is unbuildable according to current code. The sea walls are going to be raised in front of it, and all along the property to match the height of the highest walls by the main house. They could keep the opening gate there though. It turns out that the sea walls in front of the boathouse aren’t even on the property. They’re nonconforming structures. The boathouse is too close to the sand to be built today. So was the main house. It couldn’t even be rebuilt today.

I wonder if they plan on renovating the boathouse rather than removing it since nothing like it could be built there again. It does have a great function of storing water related equipment right near the sand. Of course, that’s why it was built in the first place. I recall seeing a real estate listing in Laguna Beach here in SoCal a few years ago. It was a house on a bluff above a sandy cove, which is common in that area. The house had stunning views and was quite large, but several photos and sentences of the ad showed a boathouse structure right on the sand, down all the steps from the house’s terrace. It was about 30-40 feet down the bluff to the cove and this small garage-like structure was at the bottom of the stairs. The ad explained how it was one of the few remaining like it and that it couldn’t be built today. There’s real value in that. Any thoughts?
Hi P,

My thoughts are they probably waiting to finish the three homes before tackling the boathouse so not to rock the boat and muddy the waters with the city and cause possible delays on the house builds etc..(permit, inspection delays etc.) Things are going fairly smoothly on site minus the one shut down when they found a grave, so why mess with that at the moment. They have it grandfathered in so it's safe for now, no rush,......unless it collapses by itself which could be a possibility. Once the homes are done, then open the can of worms on the boathouse, in the meantime keep the options open. I'm sure they are looking at ways to save it and maybe change the exterior to match the new builds, assuming Hawaiian law allows for it. I would think the place is in such bad shape they will have to strip it down to the bare bones anyway, but by doing so, does that change the status of the structure and make it illegal or can they make certain alterations without the city throwing a flag at it.. They are probably looking at the rules, searching for loopholes and getting advice etc., etc. as we speak. I would guess they have to stay within the existing envelope, but sometimes one can alter a certain amount of the structure without crossing the line.....not sure what's allowed in Hawaii. It makes sense if they can save it, maybe it will be shared by all three homes to store all their water gear, assuming Marty and his pals are keeping all three. Heck, he might sell all three and call it a day in Waimanalo....who knows.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Kevster »

Regarding construction regs…

I have NO CLUE about Hawaii, but the Florida regs allow remodeling and modification of existing structures that are non-conforming and too close to the water. The setback from Mean-High Tide line and all that. You can't rebuild beyond a certain percentage except for issues from an "Act of God."

I suspected that they'd considered and were hoping to do something with the existing house in order to keep that footprint and stay closer to the water. It appears they either didn't or couldn't. It was mentioned here that the home was too far gone to make it practical. Maybe they would then have to do TOO MUCH for the percentage to stay in reg? That would marry the two issues.... Regardless, the value of the middle home/site would be hurt by how far seaward the existing house would have been in comparison to its new neighbor. Rhetorically, a partially obstructed view? Whatever hatchet job they did on the old house would have had some value to offset the impact to the adjacent, but.... The numbers would tell the story if the planners in the development office don't share their story, and I don't see either of those making it onto the web any time soon.

They may allow the eventual buyer of the third lot to decide on the boat house. Demo before possession, some sort credit to do it after, or keep it for remodel at the new owner's expense. It is non-conforming, so it may be a positive rather than negative to at least some buyers. Not just MPI fans.
Trust Me!!!

Pahonu

#5 Post by Pahonu »

Kevster wrote:Regarding construction regs…

I have NO CLUE about Hawaii, but the Florida regs allow remodeling and modification of existing structures that are non-conforming and too close to the water. The setback from Mean-High Tide line and all that. You can't rebuild beyond a certain percentage except for issues from an "Act of God."

I suspected that they'd considered and were hoping to do something with the existing house in order to keep that footprint and stay closer to the water. It appears they either didn't or couldn't. It was mentioned here that the home was too far gone to make it practical. Maybe they would then have to do TOO MUCH for the percentage to stay in reg? That would marry the two issues.... Regardless, the value of the middle home/site would be hurt by how far seaward the existing house would have been in comparison to its new neighbor. Rhetorically, a partially obstructed view? Whatever hatchet job they did on the old house would have had some value to offset the impact to the adjacent, but.... The numbers would tell the story if the planners in the development office don't share their story, and I don't see either of those making it onto the web any time soon.

They may allow the eventual buyer of the third lot to decide on the boat house. Demo before possession, some sort credit to do it after, or keep it for remodel at the new owner's expense. It is non-conforming, so it may be a positive rather than negative to at least some buyers. Not just MPI fans.
Hey Kevster,

Check out my recent post on the Pahonu thread. It’s a unique development, whatever we think about it. For whatever reasons, the property was subdivided into two parcels but there are three homes being built according to the plans. The property to the left has two dwellings that seem to be connected and certainly share a driveway. Further, all three homes share a single entrance gate in the middle of the property. It’s definitely not a fee simple development of three separate freestanding homes. It’s going to have some kind of common interest association.

On top of that, coastal development has been restricted considerably in Hawaii over the decades. Check out the sea wall report that runs to the hundreds of pages. These sea walls would never be allowed to be built today. Part of the sea wall by the boathouse isn’t even on the property. Modifications are being allowed to mitigate for sea level rise but all new construction has considerable limitations. Plus there are likely different setbacks from the property boundaries since the 1930’s. The available footprint for building is much more restricted. That likely explains the reason for the two homes on one property.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hi everyone...

Whatever should be the future of that plot of land, I had a little pecking in the heart watching old Magnum Pi tonight...

Ok, for all of you, Folks, a little view of the boat house in 1982... 8)

https://ibb.co/KmmK2Yv

:magnum:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Sebastian Sabre
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by Sebastian Sabre »

Awesome shot! Thanks for posting!

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Sebastian Sabre wrote:Awesome shot! Thanks for posting!
Well, you're welcome ! 8) This is an excerpt from 2.10 Computer date.

As you can see, as decribed by Panohu, there were severals opening/embrasure that could not fit with the interior's soundstage set...

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by eagle »

Gorilla Mask wrote:As you can see, as decribed by Panohu, there were severals opening/embrasure that could not fit with the interior's soundstage set...
You know, as much as I know this to be true, I don't care. ;) As far as I'm concerned, that's where Magnum lived. :magnum: :magnum: :magnum:

And, I still want a Magnum-guest-house mancave! Alas, my mancave looks a bit different than that.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Gorilla Mask »

eagle wrote:
Gorilla Mask wrote:As you can see, as decribed by Panohu, there were severals opening/embrasure that could not fit with the interior's soundstage set...
You know, as much as I know this to be true, I don't care. ;) As far as I'm concerned, that's where Magnum lived. :magnum: :magnum: :magnum:

And, I still want a Magnum-guest-house mancave! Alas, my mancave looks a bit different than that.
Eagle, i could easily share that point of view ! :magnum: :magnum: IMO, i still had a little fondness for the Tidal pool... At night of course with two sweden stewardess... :wink: :oops: :lol:

Pahonu

#11 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote:
eagle wrote:

Eagle, i could easily share that point of view ! :magnum: :magnum: IMO, i still had a little fondness for the Tidal pool... At night of course with two sweden stewardess... :wink: :oops: :lol:
I share the dream too guys! I only respond when someone posts something like, “I wish they would remodel the interior of the boathouse now that they’re doing construction” or “Has anyone tried to draw the guest house floor plan so it fits in the boathouse?” Neither is possible but it’s great to have the dream. Many are unwilling to acknowledge it’s just a dream like Eagle. That’s okay still. I honestly feel that the dream got me to where I live today. I didn’t grow up living by the beach. I learned to sail and dive in college. That’s also the first time I kayaked and I made it a priority to live by the water. There were sacrifices, but I got there. I enjoy my life still doing those things at the marina today and Magnum played a big part in that! :magnum:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote: There were sacrifices, but I got there. I enjoy my life still doing those things at the marina today and Magnum played a big part in that! :magnum:
I used to swim a lot twenty years ago only. Of course, It must be also something about Magnum PI 8) .. Since i was born in Britanny i have the plan to get back there, with family, when i retire.

Crozon Peninsula , just South of Brest, is really a nice place to live: if you don't mind fresh water and sea breeze of course ! :)

The fact is that, in the course of our personnal lives, Magnum PI is somewhere a crossroad between factual reality and Youngster's dreams... :D

Yes, i know what you would say, and you would be right : the Guest house set just can't fit within the Boat house...

... but... maybe someday ? :wink:

Pahonu

#13 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote:
Pahonu wrote: There were sacrifices, but I got there. I enjoy my life still doing those things at the marina today and Magnum played a big part in that! :magnum:
I used to swim a lot twenty years ago only. Of course, It must be also something about Magnum PI 8) .. Since i was born in Britanny i have the plan to get back there, with family, when i retire.

Crozon Peninsula , just South of Brest, is really a nice place to live: if you don't mind fresh water and sea breeze of course ! :)

The fact is that, in the course of our personnal lives, Magnum PI is somewhere a crossroad between factual reality and Youngster's dreams... :D

Yes, i know what you would say, and you would be right : the Guest house set just can't fit within the Boat house...

I avoided saying it directly and then you did! :lol:

I agree though. I think Magnum has had an effect on many fans. Many of us have brought it into our lives in ways beyond watching the episodes, some more, some less.

I didn’t mention that my wife and I open water swim around Alamitos Bay here in Long Beach. We try to go a couple of times a week until the water cools off. April and May sometimes bring rain and we avoid the water because of the runoff. My wife was a college swimmer and has done open water races and triathlons. I played basketball in college and just swim for exercise. It’s great as I approach 50, low impact. I rarely surf anymore. I find the recovery time is a bit longer now. :( I still paddle frequently and sail a bit. I haven’t been diving for quite a while but I have PADI certification.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote:
Gorilla Mask wrote:

I avoided saying it directly and then you did! :lol:

I agree though. I think Magnum has had an effect on many fans. Many of us have brought it into our lives in ways beyond watching the episodes, some more, some less.

I didn’t mention that my wife and I open water swim around Alamitos Bay here in Long Beach. We try to go a couple of times a week until the water cools off. April and May sometimes bring rain and we avoid the water because of the runoff. My wife was a college swimmer and has done open water races and triathlons. I played basketball in college and just swim for exercise. It’s great as I approach 50, low impact. I rarely surf anymore. I find the recovery time is a bit longer now. :( I still paddle frequently and sail a bit. I haven’t been diving for quite a while but I have PADI certification.
Hey Panohu,

Sounds like your life at Long Beach was a little piece of 'Beach boys' song ! :D

I am 46 now and i don't have much time (family, work, new house) to swim at the present time. However, i ought to, since my body claims for it ! :cry: Dordogne is too far from the sea and that is a pity because, except for that ocean remoteness, it is quite a nice place to live.

Best regards ! 8)