The boat.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

The boat.

#1 Post by The Birdman »

The boat Rick normally uses. In s2 e2 dead man's channel the boat Rick was getting on with those guys (one has a gun) that boat looked like a 40'~ yaht. Is that supposed to be the same boat he normally uses? What I normally see looks like a 25'~ cabin cruiser.
Does anybody know the specs on the boats Rick uses?
Uh PHRASING!!!!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: The boat.

#2 Post by K Hale »

I don’t know much about boats and nothing about specs but I know there were several different boats used over the years. The King Kamehameha I, II, and III. The higher numbers were larger, as I recall.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

It’s a Bertram. Don’t recall the exact length but it’s longer than 40 feet. Over 50, I’d say. There was a discussion of this at one time.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#4 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Pahonu wrote:It’s a Bertram. Don’t recall the exact length but it’s longer than 40 feet. Over 50, I’d say. There was a discussion of this at one time.
I found this thread Pahonu. It is kind of helpful, but not overly.

By the way, were the boats Rick's or the club's? I do not see how the manager of a private club could afford a boat like that. Perhaps if he chartered it out he could afford it. But I do not know much about boats (despite owning three small ones that came with a house I bought).

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#5 Post by Pahonu »

80s Big Hair wrote:
Pahonu wrote:It’s a Bertram. Don’t recall the exact length but it’s longer than 40 feet. Over 50, I’d say. There was a discussion of this at one time.
I found this thread Pahonu. It is kind of helpful, but not overly.

By the way, were the boats Rick's or the club's? I do not see how the manager of a private club could afford a boat like that. Perhaps if he chartered it out he could afford it. But I do not know much about boats (despite owning three small ones that came with a house I bought).
That’s the one I remember. I can’t estimate the cost of the boat back then, but today a new 40-50 footer like that would be well past a million. An older boat, say 15-20 years might be had for 200k. This wouldn’t likely be Rick’s personal boat. I think the name implies it was the club’s. I’ve been sailing for over 25 years and have owned three different boats and sailed aboard a few dozen others. My current is a 1968 Columbia 28 sloop that I’ve restored over the last 12 years.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by The Birdman »

I always assumed they belonged to the club and if you read my original post I was careful to say "the boat Rick normally uses", implying he is using somebody else's boat.
Uh PHRASING!!!!

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by The Birdman »

I think the king Kamehameha II is the only one I'd seen before. It's funny how I've got the entire series on DVD, watch 4 episodes a day on hallmark channel and still see new things I never noticed before.
Thanks for the help guys.
Uh PHRASING!!!!