Trip to Hawaii

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

JamesD
Ensign

Trip to Hawaii

#1 Post by JamesD »

Greetings from Melbourne !

I have visited Hawaii many times over the past few years and have always tried to go to some of the most memorable spots used in the filming of the series. Including of course Robins nest.

There is something special about this TV show and the emotions that we all feel for such a wonderful cast and TV show. Perhaps they lived the life that we all wanted to live, helping us forget the troubles of everyday life. I must admit that visiting some of the places used for filming was an amazing experience and reinforced to me just how special the original Magnum PI show still is.

So I was wondering; when this terrible lock-down and virus is over, would enough people be interested in visiting Hawaii and visiting those wonderful places, and perhaps meeting any of the cast or crew still living on the island.

I would assume if enough people were interested we could get some special discounts ??

I am more than happy to explore this when the virus is over, I guess I just need to know how many people are interested.

regards
James

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Trip to Hawaii

#2 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I'm actually all set to book tickets for end of summer but the governor of Hawaii just extended the mandatory 14-day quarantine (for all visitors from mainland and abroad) to end of July. First it was end of June so things looked optimistic. But now it's end of July. Who's to say he won't extend it further again? So I'm a bit wary of booking anything just yet. But there certainly are some good package deals out there (flight + hotel + car rental).

Knowing Oahu as well as I do, my wife and I could be out there enjoying the island without having to worry about covering our faces or social distancing because of crowds or having to stick with a tour group. I definitely don't want to be outside enjoying the beautiful island weather with a face mask on. No way!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:I'm actually all set to book tickets for end of summer but the governor of Hawaii just extended the mandatory 14-day quarantine (for all visitors from mainland and abroad) to end of July. First it was end of June so things looked optimistic. But now it's end of July. Who's to say he won't extend it further again? So I'm a bit wary of booking anything just yet. But there certainly are some good package deals out there (flight + hotel + car rental).

Knowing Oahu as well as I do, my wife and I could be out there enjoying the island without having to worry about covering our faces or social distancing because of crowds or having to stick with a tour group. I definitely don't want to be outside enjoying the beautiful island weather with a face mask on. No way!
Think of the tan lines from wearing a face mask too..... :shock: :wink:

It's a neat idea JamesD and I believe HFO fans (original) have done something similar and it was a success. I would hold that thought and bring it up again when a vaccine has been found and I'm sure you will get some interest. Right now there are too many unknowns and a lot of spooked people to even start doing something as simple as a preliminary head count (imo).

JosipCro
Captain

#4 Post by JosipCro »

I see you talking about traveling and visiting Robins Nest.

I also came up with a good idea,

People who would travel there should retrieve information if it would be possible to enter the property and take pictures and videos (outside and inside) of the guest house and the roadside house. That would be really great.

mrnation8
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by mrnation8 »

I actually went this past February and there are signs up to not enter. We (my wife and 7 year old son) got lucky though and it was raining so we just walked right though the gate and glanced around. The tidal pool is public so we walked down to it and swam and looked around. Surreal to see it in person.

I checked out just a few spots that I remember seeing in the shows, but would definitely be interested in a group trip once all the world is back to normal.

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Brian »

I'm up for a trip to Hawaii to explore some MPI locations and more.
Sneakers Higgins!!

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by robicurp »

Hi All,
My plane leaves for Honolulu tomorrow! August 6th, A visit to Robin's Nest Beach is one of the first things on the agenda. I hope Mr. Obama's secret service dudes won't mind me splashing around in the Turtle pond :D I'll have some pictures to share.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by 308GUY »

robicurp wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:51 pm Hi All,
My plane leaves for Honolulu tomorrow! August 6th, A visit to Robin's Nest Beach is one of the first things on the agenda. I hope Mr. Obama's secret service dudes won't mind me splashing around in the Turtle pond :D I'll have some pictures to share.
Anxiously looking forward to whatever pics/experiences you can get/have while there. Don't get yourself arrested in the process!

Am interested in learning what the future status of the tidal pool will be...given the HI "law of the land" (all beaches public) and the rumored new owners identity/status.

Be safe & have the time of your life! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

robicurp wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:51 pm Hi All,
Looking forward to some photos. Enjoy!!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#10 Post by robicurp »

Hi All,
I just got back from my Oahu trip early this morning.
Hawaii is still just as beautiful as ever.
I was able to explore the turtle pond at Robin's nest and have lots of pictures (See the enclosed link).
The rock wall of the pond has been restored by a bunch of local volunteers under guidance of a Historical society. The walls are back to their original height and configuration. The pond is beautifully clear and great to wade/swim in. A couple of local folks were there fishing and swimming when I visited.
The Estate's concrete seawall has been extended and raised, so you can't see much of the estate property any longer. You can see the tops of the new homes Mr. Obama and Nesbit are building. Surprisingly construction is still not finished. I think its been going on for a couple of years.. Some good news, It appears the original boat house (Magnum's pretend apartment) is being restored. At least there were crew working on it. The Original Guard house is still there as well. Maybe it will be restored too. It also appears all access from the beach to the estate property has been closed off by the new Seawall additions. The boat house gate has been blocked. I could not see for sure but it also appears the gate from the estate yard to the beach has also been blocked. I guess that's needed for a former President security? I'm really glad I got to visit the location. I sooo wish I could have seen it in person when the original home was still intact.

On my first trip to Oahu back in 1983 at the Hight of the Magnum PI TV show, I searched all over, trying to find Robin's nest. I was determined to visit the beach. This was all pre-internet so I had no resources and no luck figuring out where it was.

One fun thing happened on this trip, our last evening in Honolulu we visited the Trump hotel for some drinks in the lounge and found out, they were going to film an episode of the new Magnum PI on site in the bar that evening. Unfortunately, not until after closing though. All we saw were some crew brining in some equipment. But it was a nice reminder that Magnum PI lives on.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#11 Post by Pahonu »

robicurp wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:07 am Hi All,
I was able to explore the turtle pond at Robin's nest and have lots of pictures (See the enclosed link).
The rock wall of the pond has been restored by a bunch of local volunteers under guidance of a Historical society. The walls are back to their original height and configuration. The pond is beautifully clear and great to wade/swim in. A couple of local folks were there fishing and swimming when I visited.
The Estate's concrete seawall has been extended and raised, so you can't see much of the estate property any longer. You can see the tops of the new homes Mr. Obama and Nesbit are building. Surprisingly construction is still not finished. I think its been going on for a couple of years.. Some good news, It appears the original boat house (Magnum's pretend apartment) is being restored. At least there were crew working on it. The Original Guard house is still there as well. Maybe it will be restored too. It also appears all access from the beach to the estate property has been closed off by the new Seawall additions. The boat house gate has been blocked. I could not see for sure but it also appears the gate from the estate yard to the beach has also been blocked. I guess that's needed for a former President security? I'm really glad I got to visit the location. I sooo wish I could have seen it in person when the original home was still intact.

On my first trip to Oahu back in 1983 at the Hight of the Magnum PI TV show, I searched all over, trying to find Robin's nest. I was determined to visit the beach. This was all pre-internet so I had no resources and no luck figuring out where it was.

One fun thing happened on this trip, our last evening in Honolulu we visited the Trump hotel for some drinks in the lounge and found out, they were going to film an episode of the new Magnum PI on site in the bar that evening. Unfortunately, not until after closing though. All we saw were some crew brining in some equipment. But it was a nice reminder that Magnum PI lives on.

Thank you for all the pictures! Your analysis of the construction seems spot on. There appears to be almost no beach left, sadly, and rising sea level has been made this obvious. Allowing the sea walls to remain and further raising them will continue that process of beach erosion unfortunately, but it’s nice to see the boathouse being restored. That bodes well for the same happening to the gatehouse. Thanks again!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by T.Q. »

robicurp wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:07 am Hi All,

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Love this one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10LLSmH ... sp=sharing

Hoping to get back to Hawaii in 2022. Who knows with travel restrictions and such though. And I'm one of the "dirty" unvaxxed.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Great pics, robicurp!

I was there too, you know. :higgins: I sure got a thrill swimming in the tidal pool back in 2018, just a few months after they tore down the main house. But everything else was still intact, the seawall and the rear gate, etc. Everything still in its original condition. So I got a chance to do my Magnum swim and then sneak up the steps to the rear gate, as in the pilot. :D I was able to walk on top of the seawall and peek inside on the premises. It was a day I'll never forget! Unfortunately I didn't want to risk taking my phone/camera into the water so all I have is the memories. :)

Quick question. On the left side of the property, I'm guessing where the main house stood, they're building something long that looks like a warehouse, LOL! Anyway what are those white boxes on top of the roof of that structure?

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by robicurp »

Those structures are Mr Obama's and his buddies two new homes. Yes they look like warehouses right now

Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

robicurp wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:38 pm Those structures are Mr Obama's and his buddies two new homes. Yes they look like warehouses right now
I see. But what are those white boxy things on top? Look like AC units or something.